Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Warning ... Whirlpool Fridge Unserviceable

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 23:16:05 +0000 (UTC), "A. Baum"
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 10:25:34 -0400, Art Todesco wrote:

snip

Luckily, I was able to drag the hose from the garage air
compressor, up the stairs and blow out the coil .... everyone has an air
compressor, right? If the house had a particularly greasy environment,
I'm sure the air might not clean the further back.

BTW, this isn't the only problem with this unit. There are many. The
most frustrating one is that frost builds up in the ice maker. You have
to chisel the ice build up and that's if you can remove the ice
bucket/grinder. They replaced the entire door. Still does it.
The authorized repair guy said that if this where a house with 5
kids and no AC he might expect this. He said that his engineering
contact at WP told him, to tell the customer that it was the customers'
responsibility to keep the parts free of ice build up. He told me he
wouldn't tell HIS customers that, although in a round about way, he did.
That's why he changed the entire door.

Sorry for venting.

Don't feel too bad. I bought a Sears Kenmore side by side with ice maker,
front door water and ice dispenser and had nothing but trouble with it 3
years after purchase. Had the ice maker paddles replaced, door electronic
controls replaced a couple times. Then I came home to a flooded kitchen
floor one day. The electronics had decided to switch on the water
dispenser. On inspection there were several fried components on the
control board. I took this up with Sears and after just a week of
arbitration received a $2200 credit with Sears to pick out any fridge I
wanted. I found a nice Samsung over/under for $2100. Sears also payed
for the water cleanup and damage to downstairs carpeting. So all in all I
can't really bitch too much besides the horror of walking into a flooded
kitchen and the week inconvenience of not having a fridge. Luckily I have
an old Kenmore out in the garage for beer that served well in my time of
need

They don't make 'em like they used to.
I replaced our GE top-freezer last year after the compressor seized.
A 500 buck fridge lasting only 9 years.
And the compressor was banging after 5-6 years.
At least there was no maintenance. Plain Jane model.
The new Kenmore bottom freezer was about $800 and I have no idea how
long it will last.
Seems they're all made in Mexico now, and the compressors are sealed
units.
Like you, I have a spare, but in the basement.
A Westinghouse that has to be over 50 years old.. Single door with
the small flap door freezer inside. Works every time, quietly.
The one that failed had the same deal with most of the coils being
unreachable. And I have dogs.
Haven't tipped the new one yet to look at the coils.
As Art said, you need compressed air.

--Vic

--Vic