Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Warning ... Whirlpool Fridge Unserviceable

Rant on ......

I got a new Whirlpool side by side fridge 2 years ago. So,
yesterday I was changing its horribly expensive water filter for the
water and ice. So I decided to check the condenser coils for
cleaning. To my amazement they were packed with dirt. Now comes
the good (actually bad) part. While you can vacuum the front-most
coil, where most to the dirt collects, all of the remaining coils
are not cleanable. Sure, you could tip the fridge on its side and
get it from the bottom. The coils are zig-zagged starting in front,
going up at 45 degrees to the floor towards the rear. As you go
towards the rear the coils then go down at 45 degrees and so on.
There are about 4 or so of these up and down coils. The front-most
coil blocks access to all the rear coils. There's no room to get
into the sides, only the bottom. I looked at the manual and it
says, "There is no need for routine condenser cleaning in normal
home operating environments." What? I've never seen a condenser,
even in the cleanest homes, that doesn't need periodic cleaning.
Even my old built-in Kitchen Aid with the condenser on the top,
needed cleaning. How can they even claim Energy Star Compliance?
I called they "Customer Experience" line. I know why they call it
that ... every time I have talked to them, it was literally an
experience! They were of NO HELP, as usual. I talked to the
supervisor. She was of NO HELP. I asked about how they can claim
"Energy Star" compliance and she said "it is Energy Star compliant",
litterally ignoring what I had said. Luckily, I was able to drag
the hose from the garage air compressor, up the stairs and blow out
the coil .... everyone has an air compressor, right? If the house
had a particularly greasy environment, I'm sure the air might not
clean the further back.

BTW, this isn't the only problem with this unit. There are many.
The most frustrating one is that frost builds up in the ice maker.
You have to chisel the ice build up and that's if you can remove the
ice bucket/grinder. They replaced the entire door. Still does it.
The authorized repair guy said that if this where a house with 5
kids and no AC he might expect this. He said that his engineering
contact at WP told him, to tell the customer that it was the
customers' responsibility to keep the parts free of ice build up.
He told me he wouldn't tell HIS customers that, although in a round
about way, he did. That's why he changed the entire door.

Sorry for venting.