Posted to alt.home.repair

Default kitchen-sink's splashboard is a window. How to protect from water, etc?

Some time ago I asked a similar question, but none of the
suggestions were acceptable to, uh, "she who must be obeyed".

And I forgot to say that the existing splashboard wasn't
just wood, but an actual window, with the usual wood frame,
molding (sp?), pane-separators, etc.

Right now it's painted in an off-white or eggshell
color, via an acryllic paint.

Which is of course getting destroyed, by the usual
water, detergent, etc.

---

So, here's the question: what kind of paint can we use
to be more waterproof than ordinary indoor paint?

[Sorry, but suggesting tile or glass in front of the
wood would be wasting your breath -- it's a window,
and it has to LOOK like any other (Pella) window in the
house! -- so I've been notified, and it's non-negotiable.]

Under those constraints, ideas?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
[...]

Hi,
One hint, how about glass blocks? Run your imagination wild!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2011 1:24 AM, David Combs wrote:
[...]

The problem is probably paint technique, not the paint itself. The
panes and moldings have to be sealed up so moisture doesn't seep between
them, inside and out. Does outside need reglazing/repainting? On
inside, paint so that the edge of the paint doesn't stop on the molding,
but has about 1/16" onto the glass. That way, slop or condensation
doesn't get into the wood and cause the paint to peel/crack. If that
doesn't work, nothing will.

Of course, a cute little planter would block some of the splashing and
possibly benefit from added moisture....how in the world does wife get
so much onto the window?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 7:11*am, "
wrote:
[...]

THAT'S WHAT I WAS GOING TO SUGGEST, "BLOCKING THE WINDOW WITH A
PLANTER".
THEN AGAIN....A GOOD SEALANT BEFORE PAINTING WILL REDUCE AMY WATER
DAMAGE TO THE WINDOW COMPARTMENT/SPLASBOARD...WHICH IN FACT IS THE
WIFEY's CONCERN.
IF DIVORCE IS OUTA THE QUESTION, I WOULD SELL..AND MOVE TO A HOUSE
WITH A BETTER KITCHEN.
BOOWAHAHAHAHA
PAT ECUM
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,

Of course, a cute little planter would block some of the splashing and
possibly benefit from added moisture....how in the world does wife get
so much onto the window?

Well, I do a lot of the dishes, and use the squirt hose, which reflects
off to the back.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 2:57*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
In article ,

Of course, a cute little planter would block some of the splashing and
possibly benefit from added moisture....how in the world does wife get
so much onto the window?

Well, I do a lot of the dishes, and use the squirt hose, which reflects
off to the back.

David

Dont use the hose. I took mine iut and put in something
useful....liquid hand soap dipenser..

JImmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 13:02:22 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Jun 3, 2:57Â*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
In article ,

Of course, a cute little planter would block some of the splashing and
possibly benefit from added moisture....how in the world does wife get
so much onto the window?

Well, I do a lot of the dishes, and use the squirt hose, which reflects
off to the back.

David

Dont use the hose. I took mine iut and put in something
useful....liquid hand soap dipenser..

Good idea.
If you splash water all over even a backsplash won't help.
What I'd do is just keep the water off the window.
And how I'd do that is with a portable backsplash kept under the sink
or off to the side, depending on how presentable you make it.
Could be s strip of plexiglas or a plastic cutting board, etc.
Glue some weather stripping or sponge on the bottom edge, and stick it
upright behind the faucets when you figure you'll be splashing water
on the window. Nice project, and an easy one.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

THERE IS A PLASTIC HIPPY POSTER LIKE THING THAT READS "THIS IS THE
PITS" IN THE KITCHEN OF THIS COUPLE I HAUNT I GUESS IT HELPS A
LITTLE.
BOOWAHAHAHAHA....YOU COULD GET A SIMILAR PIECE OF PLASTIC ARTWORK FOR
YOUR KITCHEN.
OR SELL AND, WELL YOU KNOW ;-)

TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 3, 12:24*am, (David Combs) wrote:
[...]

Its time for a decent dishwasher and get rid of the spritzer. Then
clean and paint the window area as SWMBO orders.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 1:02*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Jun 3, 2:57*pm, (David Combs) wrote:

In article ,

Of course, a cute little planter would block some of the splashing and
possibly benefit from added moisture....how in the world does wife get
so much onto the window?

Well, I do a lot of the dishes, and use the squirt hose, which reflects
off to the back.

David

Dont use the hose. I took mine iut and put in something
useful....liquid hand soap dipenser..

JImmie

I find it useful for washing hard-to-reach areas of the sink &
counter, but find it clumsy to pull out & retract.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 1:24*am, (David Combs) wrote:
Some time ago I asked a similar question, but none of the
suggestions were acceptable to, uh, "she who must be obeyed".

And I forgot to say that the existing splashboard wasn't
just wood, but an actual window, with the usual wood frame,
molding (sp?), pane-separators, etc.

Right now it's painted in an off-white or eggshell
color, via an acryllic paint.

Which is of course getting destroyed, by the usual
water, detergent, etc.

---

So, here's the question: what kind of paint can we use
to be more waterproof than ordinary indoor paint?

Does your situation look anything like this:

http://www.adi.com/~hamilton/house/insidepix/kitW.jpg

That's my kitchen. It's just got ordinary paint. Oil-based,
I think. Looks fine. Cleans up easily. No destruction. It
was painted before I moved in 11 years ago.

What's your wife doing to it?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 12:17:10 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Jun 3, 1:24Â*am, (David Combs) wrote:
[...]

Mine is like that, a splashboard, and a few inches of wall from the
sink top to the window.
David says his window is on the same level as the sink top, with
nothing between.
Different. Odd design. Sounds like the sink was moved from its
original location and put up against the window.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 1:24*am, (David Combs) wrote:
Under those constraints, ideas?

Legal separation, followed by divorce proceedings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jun 3, 1:02*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Jun 3, 2:57*pm, (David Combs) wrote:

In article ,

Of course, a cute little planter would block some of the splashing and
possibly benefit from added moisture....how in the world does wife get
so much onto the window?

Well, I do a lot of the dishes, and use the squirt hose, which reflects
off to the back.

David

Dont use the hose. I took mine iut and put in something
useful....liquid hand soap dipenser..

JImmie

I find it useful for washing hard-to-reach areas of the sink &
counter, but find it clumsy to pull out & retract.

HB

Easy answer (but perhaps unacceptable ONE house resident) --
KEEP it pulled out, all the way. Let the "head" live, say,
in the dish-rack.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
benick wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

What, just stick the dishes into the washer with food sticking
to them? Or even just "dish". And the food dries and hardens
onto the plate(s) for several days until dishwasher gets somewhat
filled? (Two-person household)

Man, I *like* that squirter -- blasts food right off the plate,
spritz it with squirt-bottle 5%dawn 95%water, give a quick
brush stroke or two, and set into the drying rack on counter.

That idea of plastic barrier is interesting -- heck, I'd just
leave it there, until guests arrive, I suppose. (But, alas and
alak, I'm not totally in charge here!)

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Does your situation look anything like this:

http://www.adi.com/~hamilton/house/insidepix/kitW.jpg

WOW, so nice and clean!

No way I'm going to post a photo, no sireee!

That's my kitchen. It's just got ordinary paint. Oil-based,
I think. Looks fine. Cleans up easily. No destruction. It
was painted before I moved in 11 years ago.

What's your wife doing to it?

More like, what am *I* doing to it?

Cindy Hamilton

Well, oil-based is clearly the correct solution, but vetoed,
because all the current paint would have to be scraped off
down to the wood, and deemed way too much work.

So we bought some non-oil-based but still water "resistant",
which we'll put on in a week or two.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 10:24:21 PM UTC-7, David Combs wrote:
[...]

LOL I was just looking for portable slash guard to keep my kitchen window from getting so disgusting. I hate cleaning windows to begin with so EXTRA window cleaning won't do. Did you ever find something that works? I'll continue my search and let you know if I find anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 4:51:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I hate cleaning windows to begin with so EXTRA window cleaning won't do. Did you ever find something that works? I'll continue my search and let you know if I find anything.

Oh PLEASE do!! I'm sure the OP is still searching for a
solution FOUR YEARS after he posted his request.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm having the same problem.. So if anyone has any other ideas.. Please shed some light

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lay your nice kitchen towel back there.