Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default kitchen-sink's splashboard is a window. How to protect from water, etc?

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 12:17:10 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Jun 3, 1:24Â*am, (David Combs) wrote:
Some time ago I asked a similar question, but none of the
suggestions were acceptable to, uh, "she who must be obeyed".

And I forgot to say that the existing splashboard wasn't
just wood, but an actual window, with the usual wood frame,
molding (sp?), pane-separators, etc.

Right now it's painted in an off-white or eggshell
color, via an acryllic paint.

Which is of course getting destroyed, by the usual
water, detergent, etc.

---

So, here's the question: what kind of paint can we use
to be more waterproof than ordinary indoor paint?

Does your situation look anything like this:

http://www.adi.com/~hamilton/house/insidepix/kitW.jpg

That's my kitchen. It's just got ordinary paint. Oil-based,
I think. Looks fine. Cleans up easily. No destruction. It
was painted before I moved in 11 years ago.

What's your wife doing to it?

Mine is like that, a splashboard, and a few inches of wall from the
sink top to the window.
David says his window is on the same level as the sink top, with
nothing between.
Different. Odd design. Sounds like the sink was moved from its
original location and put up against the window.

--Vic