Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
Sam Nickaby

Default Need advice to protect sliding window from thieves.

We have these PVC sliding windows that have locks that press
in until it clicks before you can slide them open. When you want shut
the window, you just slide the window shut and the window will
lock automatically.

The problem is that these are badly designed locks. I didn't know
about this problem until my neighbor with the same window got
broken in. They now use a lengthy wooden rod to lock the
window. They said the bad guys used a credit card to open
the lock. What is a practical way to protect these windows
from thieves?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
RicodJour

Sam Nickaby wrote:
We have these PVC sliding windows that have locks that press
in until it clicks before you can slide them open. When you want shut
the window, you just slide the window shut and the window will
lock automatically.

The problem is that these are badly designed locks. I didn't know
about this problem until my neighbor with the same window got
broken in. They now use a lengthy wooden rod to lock the
window. They said the bad guys used a credit card to open
the lock. What is a practical way to protect these windows
from thieves?

What your neighbor did. It's the simplest, surest way and doesn't
require window modifications. Paint the stick white and you'll never
notice it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

no matter what you do your home is only as secure as its weakest link.

glass breaks easy

I think there are some security latches available

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"RicodJour" wrote in
oups.com:

Sam Nickaby wrote:
We have these PVC sliding windows that have locks that press
in until it clicks before you can slide them open. When you want shut
the window, you just slide the window shut and the window will
lock automatically.

The problem is that these are badly designed locks. I didn't know
about this problem until my neighbor with the same window got
broken in. They now use a lengthy wooden rod to lock the
window. They said the bad guys used a credit card to open
the lock. What is a practical way to protect these windows
from thieves?

What your neighbor did. It's the simplest, surest way and doesn't
require window modifications. Paint the stick white and you'll never
notice it.

And add Velcro to it so it's harder to lift off.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
Tony Hwang

Sam Nickaby wrote:
We have these PVC sliding windows that have locks that press
in until it clicks before you can slide them open. When you want shut
the window, you just slide the window shut and the window will
lock automatically.

The problem is that these are badly designed locks. I didn't know
about this problem until my neighbor with the same window got
broken in. They now use a lengthy wooden rod to lock the
window. They said the bad guys used a credit card to open
the lock. What is a practical way to protect these windows
from thieves?

Thanks

Hmmm,
Alarm system with motion sensor? Still not 100% but good deterrant.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

Sam Nickaby wrote:
We have these PVC sliding windows that have locks that press
in until it clicks before you can slide them open. When you want shut
the window, you just slide the window shut and the window will
lock automatically.

Are these horizontal sliders or vertical? If they slide horizontally,
there is one more thing you can do. Slide the window all the way
open and put a couple of screws in the top track, driving them
far enough in that the window will clear the screw heads when
you close the window. This way, when the window is closed and
latched, it is very difficult to lift the window up out of the track -
the only way you can lift it out of the track is to open it first.

Hope this helps,
Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
BUGSEY

Set up a shotgun with a vibration sensor to go off when the thief
breaks the glass.
Thieves are not concerned about breaking glass, doesn't matter which
way your door slides, or even if it slides at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
wayne c

Police frown on boobie traps. Is considered pre-meditated. You'd be in more
trouble than the guy you shot. Just my thoughts. Wayne
"BUGSEY" wrote in message
oups.com...
Set up a shotgun with a vibration sensor to go off when the thief
breaks the glass.
Thieves are not concerned about breaking glass, doesn't matter which
way your door slides, or even if it slides at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

a innocent kid bounces a ball against your window, and dies. you spend
the remainder of your life in the slammer....

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
BUGSEY

Police frown on boobie traps
Hard to tell and doesn't matter if they frown
I've spent the last 10 hours doing errands around the city
I haven't seen a cop for a week
Why not just leave your door unlocked
That way you won't have to pay for the broken glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
unknown

On 20 Mar 2006 14:05:39 -0800, "BUGSEY" wrote:

The shotgun could be set-up so that it only blows away
someone say within 2 feet of the glass
That way the kid bouncing balls off your house
would be out of range and wouldn't get his balls blown off!

Until he comes to pick up the ball...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
Jim Yanik

unknown wrote in
:

On 20 Mar 2006 14:05:39 -0800, "BUGSEY" wrote:

The shotgun could be set-up so that it only blows away
someone say within 2 feet of the glass
That way the kid bouncing balls off your house
would be out of range and wouldn't get his balls blown off!

Until he comes to pick up the ball...

BUGSEY made the killfile;his "advice" is worthless,illegal,and very
dangerous.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
CJT

Sam Nickaby wrote:

We have these PVC sliding windows that have locks that press
in until it clicks before you can slide them open. When you want shut
the window, you just slide the window shut and the window will
lock automatically.

The problem is that these are badly designed locks. I didn't know
about this problem until my neighbor with the same window got
broken in. They now use a lengthy wooden rod to lock the
window. They said the bad guys used a credit card to open
the lock. What is a practical way to protect these windows
from thieves?

Thanks

A charley bar -- something like this:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....fromgoogle=yes

although you can make your own.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"BUGSEY" wrote in message
oups.com...
Police frown on boobie traps

Hard to tell and doesn't matter if they frown
I've spent the last 10 hours doing errands around the city
I haven't seen a cop for a week
Why not just leave your door unlocked
That way you won't have to pay for the broken glass.

It's got nothing to do with the police. It's the judges and lawyers that
decide this stuff.
Setting up booby traps will land you with a murder charge should you kill a
burgler, ridiculous as it sounds.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message
m...
We have these PVC sliding windows that have locks that press
in until it clicks before you can slide them open. When you want shut
the window, you just slide the window shut and the window will
lock automatically.

The problem is that these are badly designed locks. I didn't know
about this problem until my neighbor with the same window got
broken in. They now use a lengthy wooden rod to lock the
window. They said the bad guys used a credit card to open
the lock. What is a practical way to protect these windows
from thieves?

Thanks

I have two styles of aluminum windows/sliding doors in my house. Vertical
and horizontal. On the horizontal ones,
I cut a piece of rebar long enough to allow me to keep the windows open yet
prevent anyone from crawling through. I lay this down
in the lower track of the window unit. When I want to open the window
more, I have a magnet on one of the mounting screws and the rebar just
attaches to that, vertically. The rebar is small enough and blends in with
the color of the window so it works for me. The same could be done
for vertical openings I suppose but I haven't done them yet.

I did like the idea of putting screws above the sliding door to prevent the
door from being lifted out. I'm hoping to trash the damn thing anyway and
put in patio doors but I'll have to remember that one.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
BUGSEY

Theives will do their best to avoid breaking glass, because it's more work than just
sliding a window open, and increases the chances of detection and injury.

Does that mean that when the burglar arrives at your humble adobe and
sees
that dowel you put there he'll turn around an go back home?
Me thinks he'll break your glass. A gentleman thief would first duct
tape
your glass so the pieces won't fall to the ground and less noise.
In fact a pry bar will suffice to lift the sliding door out of it's
channel.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
BUGSEY

in is to make your home less attractive to a thief than other homes nearby. Most theives
will pick the easiest target available.

True, sliding glass doors are a golden invitation and take seconds to
dislodge,
even with a cleverly painted dowel stuck in the channel. Try putting
something
called a door with something called a frame.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
BUGSEY

BUGSEY made the killfile;his "advice" is worthless,illegal,and very
?dangerous.

So are police chases, but does that stop innocent people who get in the
way
from getting killed?
The police know that to get your man is everything.
Of course when that kid bends over to pick-up his ball there is always
the chance of "collateral damage".

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
BUGSEY

Buy that! And when the burglar shows up with this:

http://tinyurl.com/p84al

He will then dislodge your door off the plastic channel guides within
seconds

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
BUGSEY

You don't lift it out of it's track, you lift the track out of the
frame.
Very complicated stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

I did like the idea of putting screws above the sliding door to prevent the
door from being lifted out. I'm hoping to trash the damn thing anyway and
put in patio doors but I'll have to remember that one.
Cheers,
cc

Learned that one in Massachusetts after being burglarized
about 30 years ago. One of the first security-related things
I've done in every new house since then.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
CJT

BUGSEY wrote:
Buy that! And when the burglar shows up with this:

http://tinyurl.com/p84al

He will then dislodge your door off the plastic channel guides within
seconds

While he's puttering around with that, there's time to deal with him.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.locksmithing
Burt

"Sam Nickaby" wrote

We have these PVC sliding windows that have locks that press
in until it clicks before you can slide them open. When you want shut
the window, you just slide the window shut and the window will
lock automatically.
The problem is that these are badly designed locks. I didn't know
about this problem until my neighbor with the same window got
broken in. They now use a lengthy wooden rod to lock the
window. They said the bad guys used a credit card to open
the lock. What is a practical way to protect these windows
from thieves?

One advice that hasn't been mentioned is similar to putting a couple
of screws in the top track. Just slide a good fit piece of wood on the
top track that'll cover the whole sliding window. The hard part is finding
the perfect size wood. A renter lady on the bad part of town told me this.