Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default kitchen-sink's splashboard is a window. How to protect fromwater, etc?

On 6/3/2011 1:24 AM, David Combs wrote:
Some time ago I asked a similar question, but none of the
suggestions were acceptable to, uh, "she who must be obeyed".

And I forgot to say that the existing splashboard wasn't
just wood, but an actual window, with the usual wood frame,
molding (sp?), pane-separators, etc.

Right now it's painted in an off-white or eggshell
color, via an acryllic paint.

Which is of course getting destroyed, by the usual
water, detergent, etc.

---

So, here's the question: what kind of paint can we use
to be more waterproof than ordinary indoor paint?

[Sorry, but suggesting tile or glass in front of the
wood would be wasting your breath -- it's a window,
and it has to LOOK like any other (Pella) window in the
house! -- so I've been notified, and it's non-negotiable.]

Under those constraints, ideas?

Thanks!

David

The problem is probably paint technique, not the paint itself. The
panes and moldings have to be sealed up so moisture doesn't seep between
them, inside and out. Does outside need reglazing/repainting? On
inside, paint so that the edge of the paint doesn't stop on the molding,
but has about 1/16" onto the glass. That way, slop or condensation
doesn't get into the wood and cause the paint to peel/crack. If that
doesn't work, nothing will.

Of course, a cute little planter would block some of the splashing and
possibly benefit from added moisture....how in the world does wife get
so much onto the window?