Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet seat wrench?

Is there a deep wrench socket that will fit the plastic nuts that come
with toilet seats these days?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Try snap open the top and use large slotted screw driver.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ivan" wrote in message
Is there a deep wrench socket that will fit the plastic nuts
that come
with toilet seats these days?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Make your own, from 1/2 inch copper tubing.

Slot one end, solder a tee at the other end for a handle.

http://d21c.com/krnspn/MISC/TOOLS/to...t-remover1.jpg

http://d21c.com/krnspn/MISC/TOOLS/to...t-remover2.jpg

http://d21c.com/krnspn/MISC/TOOLS/to...t-remover3.jpg

http://d21c.com/krnspn/MISC/TOOLS/to...t-remover4.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ivan" wrote in message
Is there a deep wrench socket that will fit the plastic nuts that come
with toilet seats these days?

We called them shmucks. We used them in the convention industry for wing
nuts. Take a piece of 1/2" conduit about four inches long. Cut a
transverse groove in one end so that it fits over the wing nuts wings. Add
a piece of garden hose that can be slid on there after being heated in very
hot water in a microwave, or just glue on an oversized piece. This is to
make it a little larger in diameter and ease the wear and tear on hands.
Increases traction, too.

Simple, cheap, and works good.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 21 May 2011 19:11:40 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Try snap open the top and use large slotted screw driver.

That's what I do, and I use my fingers for the nut.

That's on my own toilet seat. If it were someone else's, I make him
or her use his own fingers.

Not that the nut itself is dirty, but your hand could conceivably get
dirty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Try snap open the top and use large slotted screw driver.

That's what I do, and I use my fingers for the nut.

That's on my own toilet seat. *If it were someone else's, I make him
or her use his own fingers.

Not that the nut itself is dirty, but your hand could conceivably get
dirty.

This particular toilet seat, a Bemis, did not have a screwdriver slot.
Instead, it fastened by threaded rods, which were screwed into the
metal hinge pieces from below, and tightened in place by the plastic
nuts. When new, the rods kept loosening in the hinge pieces, with no
good way to tighten them; when the metal hinge broke, however, they
had rusted or corroded into place. In my cramped bathroom, with the
toilet I have, it is very difficult to grasp the nuts from below by
hand or with a Vise-Grip.

It turns out that there are a couple of wrenches on the market
designed to fit the plastic nut. I got one at Home Depot, but its
well does not go deep enough for the unusually long threaded rods that
came with the Bemis (the others I found on the Web seem to have the
same problem). I wound up having to cut the rod with a hacksaw just
below the hinge hardware. But the toilet seat wrench I bought was
very helpful in installing my new toilet seat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Try snap open the top and use large slotted screw driver.

That's what I do, and I use my fingers for the nut.

That's on my own toilet seat. If it were someone else's, I make him
or her use his own fingers.

Not that the nut itself is dirty, but your hand could conceivably get
dirty.

That's why I keep latex gloves around. Makes those icky jobs easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Try snap open the top and use large slotted screw driver.

That's what I do, and I use my fingers for the nut.

That's on my own toilet seat. If it were someone else's, I make him
or her use his own fingers.

Not that the nut itself is dirty, but your hand could conceivably get
dirty.

That's why I keep latex gloves around. Makes those icky jobs easier.

It won't be any dirtier than it gets when you normally use the toilet.
Geez, people get such germ phobias. At work, there is a constant pile of
towels inside the bathroom door from people afraid to touch the handle.
But they have no qualms about touching the elevator button 20 feet away,
which at lunchtime is mainly pressed by people that just walked out of
the bathroom.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

if bolt is plastic its far faster to ccut it off with a hacksaw or
hacksaw blade if space is tight
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote

It won't be any dirtier than it gets when you normally use the toilet.
Geez, people get such germ phobias. At work, there is a constant pile of
towels inside the bathroom door from people afraid to touch the handle.
But they have no qualms about touching the elevator button 20 feet away,
which at lunchtime is mainly pressed by people that just walked out of the
bathroom.

--
aem sends...

It is a proven fact that the dirtiest germiest nastiest item in the house is
the sponge or washing thingie in the kitchen sink. I have seen a lot of
people do all sorts of things to clean and keep their kitchen areas clean,
yet use one of those five for a dollar at the Dollar Store for so long, the
scrubbie part comes off.

I did a convention that had a lot of NSF stuff, the theme of the convention
being hygienic public equipment. There are actually no touch bathrooms
where one can go in, and not touch any item that anyone has touched beside
them. Sensors everywhere. Still, like you, I think that they would
eventually touch something.

I don't know if it's like this at your house, but at mine, I think the
nastiest dirtiest things are the grandkids. Yes, they take a bath every
day, and all, but they come in contact with some heavy stuff every day at
school, and it always seems like we come down with something while they are
here, or shortly after they leave.

But we love to have them come. They will spend two weeks with us twice this
summer, and now they are 6 and 8. Both boys. I love yanking their chain,
and they know that they shouldn't take me serious sometimes. But I do get
them on some practical jokes. We just found out that the small stream near
us has small fish, so this summer is going to be a lot of fun just walking
to the creek.

I did Scouts for many years, and there's just a smell when you walk into a
Scout meeting of little boys. A cross between peanut butter and
insufficiently wiped hinies. There was some film where two little boys were
hiding from witches at a witch convention, and the witches said, "I smell
little boys."

Duh................

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-05-22, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's why I keep latex gloves around. Makes those icky jobs easier.

Bingo!

Used to be latex gloves were insanely expensive. Now, you can get
many different kinds/grades at most any hospital/medical supply store
for a reasonable price. I've worn high quality left/right number
sized $1 ea clean-room gloves and these are as good as any I've used:

http://tinyurl.com/3tql2ne

I pay $15 box, locally, and still consider it an excellent bargain.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Try snap open the top and use large slotted screw driver.

That's what I do, and I use my fingers for the nut.

That's on my own toilet seat. If it were someone else's, I make him
or her use his own fingers.

Not that the nut itself is dirty, but your hand could conceivably get
dirty.

That's why I keep latex gloves around. Makes those icky jobs easier.

I have some in the basement but I never use them.

It won't be any dirtier than it gets when you normally use the toilet.
Geez, people get such germ phobias.

I'm not worried about germs. It's just disgusting. Even my own
toilet a little bit, but I get over that within a few seconds.

At work, there is a constant pile of
towels inside the bathroom door from people afraid to touch the handle.
But they have no qualms about touching the elevator button 20 feet away,
which at lunchtime is mainly pressed by people that just walked out of
the bathroom.

Ewwwwww. I'm not coming to your buliding.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 22 May 2011 10:47:05 -0700 (PDT), bob haller

On 2011-05-22, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's why I keep latex gloves around. *Makes those icky jobs easier.

Bingo! *

Used to be latex gloves were insanely expensive. *Now, you can get
many different kinds/grades at most any hospital/medical supply store
for a reasonable price. *I've worn high quality left/right number
sized $1 ea clean-room gloves and these are as good as any I've used:

http://tinyurl.com/3tql2ne

I pay $15 box, locally, and still consider it an excellent bargain.

nb

exposure to dirty stuff helps keep humans healthy, by keeping our
immune systems working

I'm sure that does at the start, for the first 10 years, or 20, or 50,
and I agree 100% about that time, but there may an age where it starts
to work the other way.

Are there really kids who don't play in the dirt now. I had a sandbox
with no bottom, so when I got past the sane, there was only dirt.
(although I never went deeper than an inch, I got plenty of dirt and
grass and bushes elsewhere. Maybe that's why I'm not allergic to
anything. When I was 19, I was allergic to pHisoHex, the skin cleaner
with hexachlorophene, that now requires a prescription, but after a
year or so I got over it. It's good to prevent pimples, but not
shaving with an electric razor is even better. Growing a beard might
be beter yet, for boys.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2011 5:10 PM, mm wrote:
(snip)

Growing a beard might
be beter yet, for boys.)

Nit-pick time. You don't GROW a beard- it isn't like planting flowers.
You just stop scraping it off at skin level every day.

(Yeah, I know, that is the common usage, but I cringe every time I hear
it. Also cringe-worthy is 'clean shaven', as if people who don't care to
shave are 'unclean'.)

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 May 2011 19:44:03 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 5/22/2011 5:10 PM, mm wrote:
(snip)

Growing a beard might
be beter yet, for boys.)

Nit-pick time. You don't GROW a beard- it isn't like planting flowers.

Planting flowers doesn't grow them, either. They grow on their own.

You just stop scraping it off at skin level every day.

No, I cut them off an inch or so above the skin every day. ;-)

(Yeah, I know, that is the common usage, but I cringe every time I hear
it. Also cringe-worthy is 'clean shaven', as if people who don't care to
shave are 'unclean'.)

I suppose you don't much care for the phrase "shot his head clean off" much,
either. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I FIGURED I'D FIND THE USUAL SUSPECTS HERE, IN THE TOILET, WHERE THEY
CAN **** THE PLACE DOWN AND NOBODY CAN SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

On 5/22/2011 5:10 PM, mm wrote:
(snip)

Growing a beard might
be beter yet, for boys.)

Nit-pick time. You don't GROW a beard- it isn't like planting flowers.
You just stop scraping it off at skin level every day.

(Yeah, I know, that is the common usage, but I cringe every time I hear

I hate "grow the business" and "grow the economy".

it. Also cringe-worthy is 'clean shaven', as if people who don't care to
shave are 'unclean'.)

When I stopped shaving, I thought I would be less clean, because it
woudl be it would be harder to wash my face, and I'd get more pimples.
I had the beard for about three months, and when I shaved it off, my
skin was almost perfect and the pimples never came back to the extent
they had been. (They were never terrible and never left pocks, but
they much fewer after the beard.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 10:38*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote

[...]

Not in all houses.

A regular nuking of a damp sponge as part of the kitchen cleaning
process will keep the sponge germ free. After I'm done using the
sponge (no, not every time) I toss it in the microwave for a couple of
minutes.

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/univ...onge-video.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I had a Bemis that did the same thing...I had to drill it out from the
top. Not a bad job because it seems to be made of some king of cheap
pot metal.
Mine was one of the lids that drops slowly. Came apart in about two
years.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-05-22, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I'll ask one more time, then file you. Will you please turn off whatever it
is in your computer that makes it appear in a font that has to be approved
before being read?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote

When I stopped shaving, I thought I would be less clean, because it
woudl be it would be harder to wash my face, and I'd get more pimples.
I had the beard for about three months, and when I shaved it off, my
skin was almost perfect and the pimples never came back to the extent
they had been. (They were never terrible and never left pocks, but
they much fewer after the beard.)

I've heard that nookie will clear that up, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 11:06 am, wrote:
On 2011-05-22, Ed wrote:

[...]

????
His posts look fine here, Steve. Using Tbird 3.1.10. Of course, I keep
HTML turned off for Usenet. Try doing the same.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote

????
His posts look fine here, Steve. Using Tbird 3.1.10. Of course, I keep
HTML turned off for Usenet. Try doing the same.

--
aem sends...

Have clicked "Read all messages in plain text", so hope that clears it up.
Apparently, he cannot or will not clear it up on his end.

I get spam posts that have the language side window, and I never read them.
But, apparently, mm is now a valid contributor, so I will click into
his/her/its posts. But it is irritating to have to do so, and I may be
clicking into a spam post, or a malware thing if someone taps into
his/her/its account. Whoever it is has posted a lot of hr related items of
good quality.

There's just too many damn things on these computers, like cell phones.
Just give me one with ten numbers, send, and on/off. Every time I get a new
one, I have to be retrained. And we just HAD to get new ones, as our former
provider went paws up. No choice.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2011 17:22:11 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"mm" wrote

When I stopped shaving, I thought I would be less clean, because it
woudl be it would be harder to wash my face, and I'd get more pimples.
I had the beard for about three months, and when I shaved it off, my
skin was almost perfect and the pimples never came back to the extent
they had been. (They were never terrible and never left pocks, but
they much fewer after the beard.)

I've heard that nookie will clear that up, too.

Maybe he got more nookie with the beard. SWMBO would shoot me if I shaved
mine. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2011 9:18 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote

????
[...]

Preachin' to the choir, brother. In a lot of ways, I liked Usenet better
when it was low-order ASCII text based. I could read more messages
faster, using an 8086 Kaypro over a 1200 modem, than I can with this
pentium 2? gig machine over a 384 DSL connection. And my 5-year-old
pre-paid cell phone lives in my briefcase- I only recently found it
could do text messages, when I did the weekly power check on it, and
found a mis-dialed mash note from one teenager to another.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ivan wrote:
Is there a deep wrench socket that will fit the plastic nuts that come
with toilet seats these days?

What I'd like to find is a toilet seat like the one I removed from my
parents' when they wore the paint off. Every seat I've seen at box
stores big and little have had hinges that were flat where they met the
toilet, depending on force applied by the fastener to keep them from
sliding around.

On their seat, the hinges had a collar that extended into holes on the
toilet. The collar had slots on the end and a football shaped nut with
tabs rode in those slots, making a wrench unnecessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 23 May 2011 20:18:21 -0500, "
wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2011 17:22:11 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"mm" wrote

When I stopped shaving, I thought I would be less clean, because it
woudl be it would be harder to wash my face, and I'd get more pimples.
I had the beard for about three months, and when I shaved it off, my
skin was almost perfect and the pimples never came back to the extent
they had been. (They were never terrible and never left pocks, but
they much fewer after the beard.)

I've heard that nookie will clear that up, too.

I believe that is true.

Maybe he got more nookie with the beard.

Makes sense, but no. The nookie level was exactly the same.

There is nothing worse than grinding up whiskers with an electrric
razor and applying the dust to the skin, using the blade as a
motor-powered spatula.

As to my face being clean, I guess the oils on my skin ran up the
whiskers and that kept my skin cleaner, even if the whiskers were
dirtier for parts of the day. Whiskers don't get ppmples.

Plus whatever germs help to cause pimples must have died in the 3
months I had the beard. I should have grown it when I was 14 or 15,
instead of when I was 18 or 19. I shaved it off because my roommate
offered me a job ushering at graduation and beards were not allowed.
It was no big deal to cut it off, and a big surprise that my skin was
clear then

SWMBO would shoot me if I shaved
mine. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 23 May 2011 17:21:05 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .

On 2011-05-22, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I don't remember your asking me before.

is in your computer that makes it appear in a font that has to be approved
before being read?

I didn't think it was anything special. When you post back to me, my
previous text still looks fine.

Do all the letters look bad or only some. Which?

I've been reading this group for at least 10 years, but I used to be
meirman. Changed to mm to go with my new at the time email address
and for a little more anonymity from spammers, etc.

I don't look forward to getting a new cell phone either, or moving to
Windows 7. I also hear I'd better buy a used oscilloscope when they
still have knobs. Someone elswhere writes that the newer ones have
nested drop downlists. Ugh.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote

I didn't think it was anything special. When you post back to me, my
previous text still looks fine.

Whatever it was, it seems to be working fine now. Before, I would click on
your post, and it asked if I wanted to include that language packet. If I
opened your post, it was written in a style used in letter writing.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2011 17:22:11 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"mm" wrote

When I stopped shaving, I thought I would be less clean, because it
woudl be it would be harder to wash my face, and I'd get more pimples.
I had the beard for about three months, and when I shaved it off, my
skin was almost perfect and the pimples never came back to the extent
they had been. (They were never terrible and never left pocks, but
they much fewer after the beard.)

I've heard that nookie will clear that up, too.

I believe that is true.

Maybe he got more nookie with the beard.

Makes sense, but no. The nookie level was exactly the same.

Too bad. ;-)

There is nothing worse than grinding up whiskers with an electrric
razor and applying the dust to the skin, using the blade as a
motor-powered spatula.

That's why I started mine. It was rather useful when I lived in Vermont, too.
Not so much here in Alabama.

As to my face being clean, I guess the oils on my skin ran up the
whiskers and that kept my skin cleaner, even if the whiskers were
dirtier for parts of the day. Whiskers don't get ppmples.

A lot of "pimples" are really in-grown hairs. That's not possible when
they're allowed to grow past skin level.

Plus whatever germs help to cause pimples must have died in the 3
months I had the beard. I should have grown it when I was 14 or 15,
instead of when I was 18 or 19. I shaved it off because my roommate
offered me a job ushering at graduation and beards were not allowed.
It was no big deal to cut it off, and a big surprise that my skin was
clear then

See above.

SWMBO would shoot me if I shaved
mine. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2011 17:22:11 -0700, "Steve
wrote:

wrote

[...]

I can actually say I've had a beard most of my life. When I was younger
and had a lot more testosterone flowing through me, I would get some
very strange beard hairs. The odd hairs would pop up in various places
on my neck and face. They were like little black mechanical pencil leads
and would sometimes form a pimple which I removed with tweezers. I
haven't seen any of the little tree stumps since my beard went gray a
decade ago. Perhaps it was radiation? o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2011 17:22:11 -0700, "Steve
wrote:

*wrote

[...]

YES, AND THAT SECOND HEAD THAT GREW OUT OF YOUR RIGHT SHOULDER IS
NOTHING YOU CAN IGNORE EITHER ;-0 BOOWAHAHAHAHA
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2011 17:22:11 -0700, "Steve
wrote:

wrote

[...]

I get the occasional hog bristle. I cannot use a regular razor to shave
because of coumadin, so I have used an electric for nine years now. But
there are some boar hairs that won't fit into the tiny windows on an
electric. I am surprised at their size, and length under the skin.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 12:41*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in ...

*wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2011 17:22:11 -0700, "Steve
wrote:

*wrote

[...]

DOESN'T ANYBODY GO TO A GOOD BARBER FOR A NICE SMOOTH SHAVE ANYMORE?
SHEESH......THE OP NEEDS HELP WITH HIS TOILET AND ALL YOU GUYS CAN
THINK OF IS YOUR JAIRY FACES...WHAT A WORLD.
TGITM
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message ...

Not that the nut itself is dirty, but your hand could conceivably get
dirty.

Since you're in a bathroom, presumably there is a sink and some soap....