Posted to alt.home.repair

Default need a HD toilet seat

Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. On average, he was
breaking toilet seats about once a year. The last time the seat broke, I
put in an expensive $30 unit. It lasted almost two years.

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is just
way too expensive. Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet seat?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 8:56*am, Andrew Ross wrote:
Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. *On average, he was
breaking toilet seats about once a year. *The last time the seat broke, I
put in an expensive $30 unit. *It lasted almost two years. *

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is just
way too expensive. *Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet seat?

Get several wood ones and combine the plastic feet from them onto one
seat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrew Ross wrote in
:

Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. On average, he
was breaking toilet seats about once a year. The last time the seat
broke, I put in an expensive $30 unit. It lasted almost two years.

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is
just way too expensive. Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet
seat?

Sure looks like it. I discovered they're called "bariatric"
toilet seats. "Bariatrics" is a branch of medicine that
deals with obesity.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&q=heavy-duty+toilet+seat+bariatric&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_r fai=&fp=dd2d1939af06a5a
These seats are rated up to 500 lbs.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote:

Sure looks like it. I discovered they're called "bariatric"
toilet seats. "Bariatrics" is a branch of medicine that
deals with obesity.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&q=heavy-

duty+toilet+seat+bariatric&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_r fai=&fp=dd2d1939af06a5a
These seats are rated up to 500 lbs.

Excellent info. I plugged the term "bariatric toilet seat" into the Lowes
website and got some good results.

Thanks much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/9/2010 8:56 AM, Andrew Ross wrote:
Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. On average, he was
breaking toilet seats about once a year. The last time the seat broke, I
put in an expensive $30 unit. It lasted almost two years.

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is just
way too expensive. Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet seat?

Speaking as a former renter, I'd be damned if I would admit to my
landlord that my fat ass broke his toilet seat, particularly since it
happened before just a couple of years. Be that as it may, tell him to
replace it himself.

Make sure he buys a wood seat.

There is obese and there is obese. How much does this big boy weigh?

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrew Ross wrote:
Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. On average, he
was breaking toilet seats about once a year. The last time the seat
broke, I put in an expensive $30 unit. It lasted almost two years.

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is
just way too expensive. Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet
seat?

Labor? It takes five minutes to install a terlet seat, and that includes
the time required to clean the toilet!

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Andrew Ross wrote:
Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. On average, he
was breaking toilet seats about once a year. The last time the seat
broke, I put in an expensive $30 unit. It lasted almost two years.

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is
just way too expensive. Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet
seat?

Labor? It takes five minutes to install a terlet seat, and that includes
the time required to clean the toilet!

Jon

I had some rent houses and some of those renters..... were big! I had
trouble with them leaning back on the tank and wound up having to put a
blocks between the tank and the wall so the tank wouldn't wouldn't get
pushed back and leak. A person ought to be able to weigh their renters
and charge extra for the extra lbs. Not as bad as the cats and dogs
they sneak in but it comes of the bottom line. (no pun intended)
BTW just for the fun of it, if you look at the inside of the tank
there will usually be a date of manufacture somewhere. Oldest one I
ever found was 1926.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andrew Ross" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. On average,
he was
breaking toilet seats about once a year. The last time the seat
broke, I
put in an expensive $30 unit. It lasted almost two years.

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor
is just
way too expensive. Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet
seat?

Frankly, the problem is not the toilet seats you buy. It is the
obese tenant, and if he has been long term, you obviously don't want
to get rid of him. But he knows he is obese and that because of
that, he is breaking the seats. When lease renewal time comes
around, I would make the toilet seat replacement his responsibility.
If he is so unreasonable that he balks at that, I'd tell the fat ass
to move.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote in message
Andrew Ross wrote in
:

Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. On
average, he
was breaking toilet seats about once a year. The last time the
seat
broke, I put in an expensive $30 unit. It lasted almost two
years.

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause
labor is
just way too expensive. Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty
toilet
seat?

Sure looks like it. I discovered they're called "bariatric"
toilet seats. "Bariatrics" is a branch of medicine that
deals with obesity.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&q=heavy-duty+toilet+seat+bariatric&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_r fai=&fp=dd2d1939af06a5a
These seats are rated up to 500 lbs.

Do the guy a favor and also consider a grab bar to hold when
lowering and raising himself off the toilet. It might also help
prevent damage to the seat from sudden sit-downs, and I bet it'd
be appreciated.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it’s just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 06:02:19 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On Jul 9, 8:56*am, Andrew Ross wrote:
Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. *On average, he was
breaking toilet seats about once a year. *The last time the seat broke, I
put in an expensive $30 unit. *It lasted almost two years. *

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is just
way too expensive. *Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet seat?

Get several wood ones and combine the plastic feet from them onto one
seat.

They used to sell feet separately.

I ended up with one that was made with four feet on the ring. AFAicr
a lot of them only have two, so this one should hold a lot more
weighbt.

But is it really the LL's responsibillty, if he put in a seat of
normal strength and a tenant broke it?

OP, if you do buy another one, maybe give the tenant the receipt and
tell him he's responsible. Does it say otherwise in the lease, and
even if it seems to, isn't this seat abuse?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:56:27 -0400, Jay Hanig
wrote:

On 7/9/2010 8:56 AM, Andrew Ross wrote:
Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese.

I missed the word excellent. Worth some extra effort for an excellent
tenant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Shouldn't be a big deal. They break because of weight distribution.
Several small furniture feet screwed into the seat, adjusted so that
they barely hold a piece of paper when the seat is down.
Lot less expensive than bariatric seats.

On Jul 9, 8:56*am, Andrew Ross wrote:
Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. *On average, he was
breaking toilet seats about once a year. *The last time the seat broke, I
put in an expensive $30 unit. *It lasted almost two years. *

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is just
way too expensive. *Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet seat?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 8:56 am, Andrew wrote:
Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. On average, he was
breaking toilet seats about once a year. The last time the seat broke, I
put in an expensive $30 unit. It lasted almost two years.

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is just
way too expensive. Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet seat?

I bought one online that had four feet on it and a brass hinge... that
might be the solution

http://www.signaturehardware.com/class260

I'm not obese, but the girl wanted chromed hinges and the ones I bought
at the local Big Box were chromed pot metal and looked like hell after a
year. This one still polishes up OK. The four feet thing I guess is a
bonus.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/9/2010 7:56 AM, Andrew Ross wrote:
Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. On average, he was
breaking toilet seats about once a year. The last time the seat broke, I
put in an expensive $30 unit. It lasted almost two years.

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is just
way too expensive. Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet seat?

The best thing to replace it with is what the experts use.

http://tinyurl.com/278vcww

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael B" wrote in message
news:b09fe4f6-4af4-4875-93a7- I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that
is obese. On average, he was
breaking toilet seats about once a year. The last time the seat broke, I
put in an expensive $30 unit. It lasted almost two years.

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is just
way too expensive. Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet seat?

$30 every 18-24 months is a "deal breaker" for an "excellent" tenant?
Really? I'd happily spend that every year to keep such a stellar tenant. It
works out to less than $3 a month. And if you really need to pay someone to
install a toilet seat (you did bitch about "labor" for the "installation"),
then you should definitely not own rental property unless you hire a
management company. to do EVERYTHING for you. Seriously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andrew Ross" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. On average, he was
breaking toilet seats about once a year. The last time the seat broke, I
put in an expensive $30 unit. It lasted almost two years.

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is just
way too expensive. Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet seat?

Labor to put a toilet seat on is expensive? It's a 5 minute job, if that!

For a long lasting toilet seat, shoot some 2-1/2" deck screws from the
underside of the ring. Guarantee you, they won't be plopping down on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrew Ross wrote:
Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. On average, he was
breaking toilet seats about once a year. The last time the seat broke, I
put in an expensive $30 unit. It lasted almost two years.

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is just
way too expensive. Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet seat?

In PA repairs under $100 are the responsibility of the tenant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 10:56*am, Andrew Ross wrote:
Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. *On average, he was
breaking toilet seats about once a year. *The last time the seat broke, I
put in an expensive $30 unit. *It lasted almost two years. *

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is just
way too expensive. *Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet seat?

Until I read the posting was trying to figure out what a "Higfh
Definition" toilet seat might be!
Maybe a metal reinforced one? i.e. a horseshoe metal reinforcing to
the bottom the seat.
And/or additional contact points to spread the weight evenly from the
bottom of the seat to the ceramic portion of of the toilet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 17:30:13 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[snip]

The best thing to replace it with is what the experts use.

http://tinyurl.com/278vcww

TDD

Is the toilet behind the sink, or is this a combination unit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2010 5:42 PM, Gary H wrote:
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 17:30:13 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[snip]

The best thing to replace it with is what the experts use.

http://tinyurl.com/278vcww

TDD

Is the toilet behind the sink, or is this a combination unit?

It's a combo unit, throw a brick through the courthouse window
and you will be able to examine one close up for quite a while.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andrew Ross wrote in
:

Hi All,

I've got a excellent, long-term tenant that is obese. On average, he
was breaking toilet seats about once a year. The last time the seat
broke, I put in an expensive $30 unit. It lasted almost two years.

I can't afford to keep going back on the same problem cause labor is
just way too expensive. Does anyone make a *real* heavy duty toilet
seat?

Just curious how well the wax rings hold up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony posted for all of us...

In PA repairs under $100 are the responsibility of the tenant.

Huh? Maybe in your agreement..

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
m...
Tony posted for all of us...

In PA repairs under $100 are the responsibility of the tenant.

Huh? Maybe in your agreement..

Again, a $30 repair every 18-24 months for a "GREAT" tenant is not a deal
breaker. At least for most landlords. And to bitch about "labor" costs?
Really? You can't change a toilet seat yourself? Sell all your property and
buy stocks. You're too incompetent to own real estate. Seriously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
"Tekkie®" wrote in message
m...
Tony posted for all of us...

In PA repairs under $100 are the responsibility of the tenant.

Huh? Maybe in your agreement..

Again, a $30 repair every 18-24 months for a "GREAT" tenant is not a deal
breaker. At least for most landlords. And to bitch about "labor" costs?
Really? You can't change a toilet seat yourself? Sell all your property and
buy stocks. You're too incompetent to own real estate. Seriously.

How do you know if the OP is physically able to do the work?

BTW wouldn't a wooden seat last?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 16, 6:54*am, LouB wrote:
h wrote:
"Tekkie®" wrote in message
om...
Tony posted for all of us...

In PA repairs under $100 are the responsibility of the tenant.

Huh? *Maybe in your agreement..

Again, a $30 repair every 18-24 months for a "GREAT" tenant is not a deal
breaker. At least for most landlords. And to bitch about "labor" costs?
Really? You can't change a toilet seat yourself? Sell all your property and
buy stocks. You're too incompetent to own real estate. Seriously.

How do you know if the OP is physically able to do the work?

BTW wouldn't a wooden seat last?

Pretty well. My husband is about 370 pounds, and one of those
oak seats (with extra feet applied to even out the stresses where
it's pieced together) lasts until the finish starts degrading from
the cleaners that I use. (Since it's not white, I can't really see
if it's dirty, so I just use a scorched earth approach.)

No idea how heavy the OP's tenant is. It can be difficult to
estimate by looking when someone is so far from average.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Jul 2010 23:32:23 GMT, RobertPatrick wrote:

LouB wrote in
:

h wrote:
"Tekkie®" wrote in message
m...
Tony posted for all of us...

In PA repairs under $100 are the responsibility of the tenant.

Huh? Maybe in your agreement..

Again, a $30 repair every 18-24 months for a "GREAT" tenant is not a
deal breaker. At least for most landlords. And to bitch about "labor"
costs? Really? You can't change a toilet seat yourself? Sell all your
property and buy stocks. You're too incompetent to own real estate.
Seriously.

How do you know if the OP is physically able to do the work?

BTW wouldn't a wooden seat last?

They didn't 20 years ago when Golden Oak everything was in vogue.

I like the looks of wooden seats. But they tend to separate/crack where
it's joined.

Ouch!