Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toto toilet seat broken hold to toilet

The one piece slow dropping seat has an integral attachment, this has
a lip molded to it that holds it in place by the bolt. Well the lip
broke off (granddaughter child seat put stress on it, I guess), so now
only one bolt is holding. This looks non repairable to me. Any
thoughts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 11:14 pm, allan wrote:
The one piece slow dropping seat has an integral attachment, this has
a lip molded to it that holds it in place by the bolt. Well the lip
broke off (granddaughter child seat put stress on it, I guess), so now
only one bolt is holding. This looks non repairable to me. Any
thoughts.

You might be able to epoxy it back together. Better, contact the
manfuacturer for a replacement. Aftermarket generic replacement are
also available. They have a big selectin at the BORG.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, "Lawrence" wrote:
On Mar 28, 11:14 pm, allan wrote:
The one piece slow dropping seat has an integral attachment, this has
a lip molded to it that holds it in place by the bolt. Well the lip
broke off (granddaughter child seat put stress on it, I guess), so now
only one bolt is holding. This looks non repairable to me. Any
thoughts.

You might be able to epoxy it back together. Better, contact the
manfuacturer for a replacement. Aftermarket generic replacement are
also available. They have a big selectin at the BORG.

I've tried several epoxies on a plastic toilet seat and none
of them lasted. Bemis (world's largest maker) was completely
unhelpful with a replacement hinge.

I just took the old seat down to HD and bought the closest
matching replacement seat which cost around $10. Problem solved
permanently following a 2 mintute installation job.

My conclusion was: don't mess around with these things.
Just replace with something that fits and you like. If you
can't find anything suitable, try contacting Toto. I imagine
they're more helpful than Bemis (they couldn't be less so).

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Depot

It's a Star Trek Next Generation reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_%28Star_Trek%29

wrote:

On Mar 28, 11:14 pm, allan wrote:
The one piece slow dropping seat has an integral attachment, this has
a lip molded to it that holds it in place by the bolt. Well the lip
broke off (granddaughter child seat put stress on it, I guess), so now
only one bolt is holding. This looks non repairable to me. Any
thoughts.

You might be able to epoxy it back together. Better, contact the
manfuacturer for a replacement. Aftermarket generic replacement are
also available. They have a big selectin at the BORG.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"allan" wrote in message
What is BORG

Big Orange Retail Giant

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
In article .com,
"Lawrence" wrote:
On Mar 28, 11:14 pm, allan wrote:
[...]

Total has exact replacement seats, a bit pricey though. If epoxy fails in
the long term, try plastic welding which should be as strong as the original
plastic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 28, 2007 at 9:14:25 PM UTC-7, allan wrote:
The one piece slow dropping seat has an integral attachment, this has
a lip molded to it that holds it in place by the bolt. Well the lip
broke off (granddaughter child seat put stress on it, I guess), so now
only one bolt is holding. This looks non repairable to me. Any
thoughts.

Forget all the glue and trying to re-attach weak plastic to the weak plastic seat bracket. Take two, flat washers (metal) that will cover the seat bracket area, keeping the detached plastic rings, if still intact, and re-attach the bolts through the toilet and voila. You now have a much sturdier attachment in place and you don't have to worry about whether glued plastic can hold up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 5:19:00 PM UTC-8, HandyLawyer wrote:
On Wednesday, March 28, 2007 at 9:14:25 PM UTC-7, allan wrote:
The one piece slow dropping seat has an integral attachment, this has
a lip molded to it that holds it in place by the bolt. Well the lip
broke off (granddaughter child seat put stress on it, I guess), so now
only one bolt is holding. This looks non repairable to me. Any
thoughts.

Forget all the glue and trying to re-attach weak plastic to the weak plastic seat bracket. Take two, flat washers (metal) that will cover the seat bracket area, keeping the detached plastic rings, if still intact, and re-attach the bolts through the toilet and voila. You now have a much sturdier attachment in place and you don't have to worry about whether glued plastic can hold up.

Me thinks me posted too soon ...

The Cover of the seat does NOT go back far enough, unless the washers are really thin, and perhaps made of a thinner plastic as well. The metal flat washers DO hold the seat down nicely, but with that cover not going back far enough, that poses a new problem. I'm still working on a better solution..

Toto elongated toilet ms854114 # Fred # Home Repair 3 January 21st 07 07:54 AM
Toto toilet Tony Pacc Home Repair 7 November 11th 06 03:58 AM
Toto (tm) toilet?? Harry K Home Repair 17 October 2nd 06 04:23 PM
Water supply question for the Toto Drake toilet JA Home Repair 2 March 22nd 06 01:05 PM
Toto toilet-seat failure ggia Home Repair 1 July 10th 05 03:05 PM