Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing control board in Carrier 58TUA Furnace

The quote from the HVAC service that I have been using for 7 years is
a whopping $1700 - 1900 to replace the control board on my furnace
(the ignitor is not getting any power). However, I'm seeing the
replacement kit (by Carrier) online at about $300-500 from various
sites. Based on anyone's experience, what should this *realistically*
be costing me for labor?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lets take a look. Suppose another poster on Usenet says that
price is too high. What you gonna do about it? Suppose we
say it's a good price. What then?

I think that regardless of what people say on the computer,
call two or three other companies for price check. What
counts, is how much it costs in your area, for your furnace.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rebecca" wrote in message
The quote from the HVAC service that I have been using for 7
years is
a whopping $1700 - 1900 to replace the control board on my
furnace
(the ignitor is not getting any power). However, I'm seeing
the
replacement kit (by Carrier) online at about $300-500 from
various
sites. Based on anyone's experience, what should this
*realistically*
be costing me for labor?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/28/2011 1:47 PM, Rebecca wrote:
The quote from the HVAC service that I have been using for 7 years is
a whopping $1700 - 1900 to replace the control board on my furnace
(the ignitor is not getting any power). However, I'm seeing the
replacement kit (by Carrier) online at about $300-500 from various
sites. Based on anyone's experience, what should this *realistically*
be costing me for labor?

Thanks!

That sounds pretty danged inflated to me, as does the cost for the control
board. It very well could be an apples to oranges comparison, but I recently
replaced the control board on my Trane furnace; the board itself cost under
$100 and it took me all of about a half hour to replace it (and I was being
slow and methodical!). I agree with Stormin Mormom; get some more estimates.
Also, who made the determination that the failing igniter is in fact a failure
of the control board?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 11:47:47 -0700 (PDT), Rebecca
wrote:

The quote from the HVAC service that I have been using for 7 years is
a whopping $1700 - 1900 to replace the control board on my furnace
(the ignitor is not getting any power).

But you know the control board is getting power? 27 years ago, I had
a Carrier furnace AC** that failed. It was the power supply
transformer that was built into the control board. The AC supply
place quoted me 400 or 600 just for the part, and I whined like a
little girl, and they suggested my just buying a transformer. 27
dollars. It was too big to fit where the original transformer went, so
I mounted it nearby. Dirty now but still working fine 27 years later,
as is the rest of the furnace (AC failed last summer)

I guess the tech told you needed the board, but he probably didn't
bother to distinguish what the problem with the board is. It's not
especially likely that you have the problem I did, but otoh, it's
possible.

Even the 27 dollars I paid was more than an electronics place would
charge for a 24 volt trnasformer (It would be under 10 even these
days), but I wasn't going to quibble when I was saving 400 dollars. (I
had never called a tech, so I don't know what the installed price
would have been.)

Do you know someone who can use a voltmeter and try to figure out
where the problem is.

Alternatively, what problems does the control board kit say it will
fix. Can you post some of the urls where it is for sale. Is it
installed just by replacing? That seems likely, except that it's
called a kit, which might just mean there is one additional part.

**I bought the house in May, and had 3 friends from NYC visit for July
4 weekend. Hot weekend. The AC failed at noon on Saturday, the water
failed at 6PM, and the electricity failed at noon on Sunday. Really
pretty amazing, since nothing much failed in the next 27 years and
never two things at once. But we ate out and weren't inconvenienced
that much.

However, I'm seeing the
replacement kit (by Carrier) online at about $300-500 from various
sites. Based on anyone's experience, what should this *realistically*
be costing me for labor?

What do you mean? How much of the 1700 asked is for labor? I don't
know.

Or how much labor will they charge to install the part if you buy it
separately? For this, you can just call and ask and they will tell
you but they'll also say they don't guarantee the part and there will
be a second labor charge just as high if it fails and they have to
replace it again. I would plan on installing it myself, yourself. I
think it's only screws, no soldering, but even if there is soldering,
to save 1400 dollars savings, you can learn to solder. It takes at
most 30 dollars for the iron and the solder and an hour to practice
before you touch the furnace. Instructions will come with the iron
and they are on line too.

Then on the off chance the part is no good, you can replace it again
in about 1/4 the time it takes you the first time.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rebecca" wrote in message
The quote from the HVAC service that I have been using for 7 years is
a whopping $1700 - 1900 to replace the control board on my furnace
(the ignitor is not getting any power). However, I'm seeing the
replacement kit (by Carrier) online at about $300-500 from various
sites. Based on anyone's experience, what should this *realistically*
be costing me for labor?

Thanks!

My non Carrier control board was $200 with no discount. I found it easier
to replace than a main board in a computer since all the connecters were
unique. Something a well trained monkey could do.

You may draw any conclusions you like from that statement. I don't know
prices in your area.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 1:47*pm, Rebecca wrote:
The quote from the HVAC service that I have been using for 7 years is
a whopping $1700 - 1900 to replace the control board on my furnace
(the ignitor is not getting any power). *However, I'm seeing the
replacement kit (by Carrier) online at about $300-500 from various
sites. Based on anyone's experience, what should this *realistically*
be costing me for labor?

Thanks!

Just get a few bids and it doesnt have to be a Carrier man
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 6:11*pm, ransley wrote:
On Apr 28, 1:47*pm, Rebecca wrote:

The quote from the HVAC service that I have been using for 7 years is
a whopping $1700 - 1900 to replace the control board on my furnace
(the ignitor is not getting any power). *However, I'm seeing the
replacement kit (by Carrier) online at about $300-500 from various
sites. Based on anyone's experience, what should this *realistically*
be costing me for labor?

Thanks!

Just get a few bids and it doesnt have to be a Carrier man

Unless there is something very bizarre about how that furnace is
designed,
or there is more to this than replacing the control board, you're
getting hosed
big time. In all the furnaces I've seen, the control
board is readily accessible and can be replaced with an hour of labor.

If you have even modest repair skills, you could replace it
yourself.
However you should have enough diagnosing confidence to be able
to check some basic things and try to rule out things that could have
caused the board to fail before just replacing it. Could be just the
board went bad for no reason. Could be something else caused it
to fail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebecca wrote:
The quote from the HVAC service that I have been using for 7 years is
a whopping $1700 - 1900 to replace the control board on my furnace
(the ignitor is not getting any power). However, I'm seeing the
replacement kit (by Carrier) online at about $300-500 from various
sites. Based on anyone's experience, what should this *realistically*
be costing me for labor?

Thanks!

Hi,
You can get two versions. OEM kit which is just plug and play swap out
or universal type you may have to do some extra work like rigging
adaptor plugs, little bit of wiring(which I did myself). Sounds like
board mounted rep\lay for ignitor or component driving the relay coil is
bad. Playing with board, I'd wear anti static strap just to be safe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder sometimes, who has more integrity,
HVAC guys or trained monkeys?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Colbyt" wrote in message

My non Carrier control board was $200 with no
discount. I found it easier to replace than a main
board in a computer since all the connecters were
unique. Something a well trained monkey could do.

You may draw any conclusions you like from
that statement. I don't know prices in your area.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

I ought to be able to get such boards, and
I'm not a Carrier rep.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ransley"
wrote in message

Just get a few bids and it doesnt have to be a Carrier man

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like many such things. The universal
"whatever" needs some hand fitting.

I'm also wondering if it's really the board which
is bad? Could also be bad HSI.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hi,
You can get two versions. OEM kit which is just plug and
play swap out
or universal type you may have to do some extra work like
rigging
adaptor plugs, little bit of wiring(which I did myself).
Sounds like
board mounted rep\lay for ignitor or component driving the
relay coil is
bad. Playing with board, I'd wear anti static strap just to
be safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 9:42*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Sounds like many such things. The universal
"whatever" needs some hand fitting.

I'm also wondering if it's really the board which
is bad? Could also be bad HSI.

right...could be lots of things besides the board..

does this unit have a draft inducer sensor or other sensor that might
prevent ignition?..

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...58tua-5si..pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

GENERALLY - a kit means the board is replaced with an upgraded board -
requiring a minir modification - sometimes as simple as a conversion
harness to make the old connector fit the new board - and or a
different mounting screw or bracket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 15:22:43 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 28, 6:11Â*pm, ransley wrote:
On Apr 28, 1:47Â*pm, Rebecca wrote:

The quote from the HVAC service that I have been using for 7 years is
a whopping $1700 - 1900 to replace the control board on my furnace
(the ignitor is not getting any power). Â*However, I'm seeing the
[...]

And if it is just the ignitor not getting power, and it is a
hot-plate ignitor, chances are excellent it is a burned connection on
the board, or a "cold" solder joint caused by overheating the
connection. - both relatively easily repaired.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
Sounds like many such things. The universal
"whatever" needs some hand fitting.

I'm also wondering if it's really the board which
is bad? Could also be bad HSI.

Do you really tnink Rebecca knows what HSI stands for? I don't.

right...could be lots of things besides the board..

does this unit have a draft inducer sensor or other sensor that might
prevent ignition?..

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr.../58tua-5si.pdf

Rebecca should post more than one URL for that kit, even if there is
only one model, and she should post the model of her furnace. It's the
furnace that has the control panel.

If she buys the part and pays someone to replace it, she won't even be
able to complain if it's the wrong part, as someone suggested. Doing
it that way might be cheap enough to warrant doing that, but it does
bother me how high the price was. Did they really diagnose it
correctly, or did they overprice the highest repair and figure if that
wasn't it, they'd keep replacing things until it worked.

While I wouldn't try connecting test leads to the igniter while the
furnace was running, one can use smaller than average alligator clips
and connect wires, and a meter, to the ignitor while it's not running
and then start the furnace and see if it has power or not. Because a
lot of igniters fail, and it would only take a semi-competent guy a
minute or two to mistake a bad igniter for no power at the igniter.
I don't know how many semi-competent guys there are, but I just had
the bad experience with the chimney sweep this winter, who wanted 680
dollars to do a 340 job that didn't need doing yet.

Plus it's April. She has until September or later to fix this. At
least she has until June.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

In other words it wouldn't cost anything in parts.

They still use single layer circuit boards, don't they, in furnaces.

In ocmputers they're up to 3 layers or more and in really fancy things
definitely more, but are the circuits in furnaces control boards still
fairly simple? I think so. In which case soldering should be pretty
easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Colbyt" wrote:

"Rebecca" wrote in message
The quote from the HVAC service that I have been using for 7 years is
a whopping $1700 - 1900 to replace the control board on my furnace
(the ignitor is not getting any power). However, I'm seeing the
replacement kit (by Carrier) online at about $300-500 from various
sites. Based on anyone's experience, what should this *realistically*
be costing me for labor?

Thanks!

My non Carrier control board was $200 with no discount. I found it easier
to replace than a main board in a computer since all the connecters were
unique. Something a well trained monkey could do.

Sure, but training a monkey usually costs $1700-$1900, so he wouldn't
really be ahead.

You may draw any conclusions you like from that statement. I don't know
prices in your area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

wrote in message
The quote from the HVAC service that I have been using for 7 years is
a whopping $1700 - 1900 to replace the control board on my furnace
(the ignitor is not getting any power). However, I'm seeing the
replacement kit (by Carrier) online at about $300-500 from various
sites. Based on anyone's experience, what should this *realistically*
be costing me for labor?

Thanks!

My non Carrier control board was $200 with no discount. I found it easier
to replace than a main board in a computer since all the connecters were
unique. Something a well trained monkey could do.

Sure, but training a monkey usually costs $1700-$1900, so he wouldn't
really be ahead.

True, but once the monkey were trained, he would not continually screw
you like the HVAC guy would each time he came back. I know there are
some honest HVAC guys out there, but they are hard to find.

You may draw any conclusions you like from that statement. I don't know
prices in your area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 21:37:50 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I wonder sometimes, who has more integrity,
HVAC guys or trained monkeys?

What's the most disgusting thing monkeys do, throw their feces? No contest.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Colbyt" wrote in message

My non Carrier control board was $200 with no
discount. I found it easier to replace than a main
board in a computer since all the connecters were
unique. Something a well trained monkey could do.

You may draw any conclusions you like from
that statement. I don't know prices in your area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 07:44:28 -0500, Ken wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

You ever have a monkey around? He might not screw YOU, but the horny
little bugger may not be welcome in "polite company"

Posted to alt.home.repair

A sad day for HVAC techs.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

I wonder sometimes, who has more integrity,
HVAC guys or trained monkeys?

What's the most disgusting thing monkeys do, throw their
feces? No contest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 07:44:28 -0500, Ken wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Monkeys apparently get the the human ear confused with a female monkey's
"naughty bits" and often grab onto people's heads and try to mate unless
they're trained not to.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Steve Turner, mdsecoski wrote:
I just replaced the board in my Bryant Plus 80 unit for $144.44. It took me
about an hour because it's a completely different board. It comes with the
necessary pigtails for the main harnesses, and new schematics for wiring it
into the system. I wouldn't pay more than $200 total for the initial service
call/diagnosis and the labor to replace the board.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ce-632167-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 4:44:07 PM UTC-6, mdsecoski wrote:
replying to Steve Turner, mdsecoski wrote:
I just replaced the board in my Bryant Plus 80 unit for $144.44. It took me
about an hour because it's a completely different board. It comes with the
necessary pigtails for the main harnesses, and new schematics for wiring it
into the system. I wouldn't pay more than $200 total for the initial service
call/diagnosis and the labor to replace the board.
--

You're too late. 5 years ago, tragically, Steve was killed while driving his riding lawn mower to the liquor store when he pulled out in front of a dump truck. Police determined that the driver of the dump truck was not at fault. Steve is survived a wife who's a midget, 5 ex-wives, 32 children, 3 dogs, 15 cats, a giraffe, a herd of dairy cows, 4 monkeys, 18 rabbits, 14 guinea pigs, 453 gerbils and an 18 foot reticulated python. The gerbils really miss him and along with the other small animals are really nervous. (~_~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIyWt16e8oo

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 16:13:31 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

....I got a 100 foot extension cord... I know my rights :-)