Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing control board in Carrier 58TUA Furnace

On Apr 28, 6:11*pm, ransley wrote:
On Apr 28, 1:47*pm, Rebecca wrote:

The quote from the HVAC service that I have been using for 7 years is
a whopping $1700 - 1900 to replace the control board on my furnace
(the ignitor is not getting any power). *However, I'm seeing the
replacement kit (by Carrier) online at about $300-500 from various
sites. Based on anyone's experience, what should this *realistically*
be costing me for labor?

Thanks!

Just get a few bids and it doesnt have to be a Carrier man

Unless there is something very bizarre about how that furnace is
designed,
or there is more to this than replacing the control board, you're
getting hosed
big time. In all the furnaces I've seen, the control
board is readily accessible and can be replaced with an hour of labor.

If you have even modest repair skills, you could replace it
yourself.
However you should have enough diagnosing confidence to be able
to check some basic things and try to rule out things that could have
caused the board to fail before just replacing it. Could be just the
board went bad for no reason. Could be something else caused it
to fail.