Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Replacing control board in Carrier 58TUA Furnace

On 4/28/2011 1:47 PM, Rebecca wrote:
The quote from the HVAC service that I have been using for 7 years is
a whopping $1700 - 1900 to replace the control board on my furnace
(the ignitor is not getting any power). However, I'm seeing the
replacement kit (by Carrier) online at about $300-500 from various
sites. Based on anyone's experience, what should this *realistically*
be costing me for labor?

Thanks!

That sounds pretty danged inflated to me, as does the cost for the control
board. It very well could be an apples to oranges comparison, but I recently
replaced the control board on my Trane furnace; the board itself cost under
$100 and it took me all of about a half hour to replace it (and I was being
slow and methodical!). I agree with Stormin Mormom; get some more estimates.
Also, who made the determination that the failing igniter is in fact a failure
of the control board?