Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Replacing control board in Carrier 58TUA Furnace

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:54:25 -0700 (PDT), Mark
wrote:

On Apr 28, 9:42*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Sounds like many such things. The universal
"whatever" needs some hand fitting.

I'm also wondering if it's really the board which
is bad? Could also be bad HSI.

Do you really tnink Rebecca knows what HSI stands for? I don't.

right...could be lots of things besides the board..

does this unit have a draft inducer sensor or other sensor that might
prevent ignition?..

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr.../58tua-5si.pdf

Rebecca should post more than one URL for that kit, even if there is
only one model, and she should post the model of her furnace. It's the
furnace that has the control panel.

If she buys the part and pays someone to replace it, she won't even be
able to complain if it's the wrong part, as someone suggested. Doing
it that way might be cheap enough to warrant doing that, but it does
bother me how high the price was. Did they really diagnose it
correctly, or did they overprice the highest repair and figure if that
wasn't it, they'd keep replacing things until it worked.

While I wouldn't try connecting test leads to the igniter while the
furnace was running, one can use smaller than average alligator clips
and connect wires, and a meter, to the ignitor while it's not running
and then start the furnace and see if it has power or not. Because a
lot of igniters fail, and it would only take a semi-competent guy a
minute or two to mistake a bad igniter for no power at the igniter.
I don't know how many semi-competent guys there are, but I just had
the bad experience with the chimney sweep this winter, who wanted 680
dollars to do a 340 job that didn't need doing yet.

Plus it's April. She has until September or later to fix this. At
least she has until June.