Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing control board in Carrier 58TUA Furnace

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:35:33 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 11:47:47 -0700 (PDT), Rebecca
wrote:

The quote from the HVAC service that I have been using for 7 years is
a whopping $1700 - 1900 to replace the control board on my furnace
(the ignitor is not getting any power).

But you know the control board is getting power? 27 years ago, I had
a Carrier furnace AC** that failed. It was the power supply
transformer that was built into the control board. The AC supply
place quoted me 400 or 600 just for the part, and I whined like a
little girl, and they suggested my just buying a transformer. 27
dollars. It was too big to fit where the original transformer went, so
I mounted it nearby. Dirty now but still working fine 27 years later,
as is the rest of the furnace (AC failed last summer)

I guess the tech told you needed the board, but he probably didn't
bother to distinguish what the problem with the board is. It's not
especially likely that you have the problem I did, but otoh, it's
possible.

Even the 27 dollars I paid was more than an electronics place would
charge for a 24 volt trnasformer (It would be under 10 even these
days), but I wasn't going to quibble when I was saving 400 dollars. (I
had never called a tech, so I don't know what the installed price
would have been.)

Do you know someone who can use a voltmeter and try to figure out
where the problem is.

Alternatively, what problems does the control board kit say it will
fix. Can you post some of the urls where it is for sale. Is it
installed just by replacing? That seems likely, except that it's
called a kit, which might just mean there is one additional part.

GENERALLY - a kit means the board is replaced with an upgraded board -
requiring a minir modification - sometimes as simple as a conversion
harness to make the old connector fit the new board - and or a
different mounting screw or bracket.