Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Housecleaning for men - Air compressor!

Men dust no more! Don't vacuum, rather use the air compressor with the
air blow tool...

Open a door and then a window. Then stick a box fan so it blows air
out the window. Then use the compressor / air blow tool to blow all
the dust off everything, then most of the dust goes out the window!

This works great for around a stereo / TV where it gets all that dust
back behind the components. Also cleans off the remote controls and
things like a phone.

(I just did some dry-walling and had dust everywhere and the
compressor in the living room... which gave me the idea.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2011 1:56 PM, Bill wrote:
Men dust no more! Don't vacuum, rather use the air compressor with the
air blow tool...

Open a door and then a window. Then stick a box fan so it blows air out
the window. Then use the compressor / air blow tool to blow all the dust
off everything, then most of the dust goes out the window!

This works great for around a stereo / TV where it gets all that dust
back behind the components. Also cleans off the remote controls and
things like a phone.

(I just did some dry-walling and had dust everywhere and the compressor
in the living room... which gave me the idea.)

Electric leaf blower works better. I use it in my car. Don't use gas
powered one in the house. Dittos for your compressor and use oil-less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
Men dust no more! Don't vacuum, rather use the air compressor with the
air blow tool...

Open a door and then a window. Then stick a box fan so it blows air
out the window. Then use the compressor / air blow tool to blow all
the dust off everything, then most of the dust goes out the window!

This works great for around a stereo / TV where it gets all that dust
back behind the components. Also cleans off the remote controls and
things like a phone.

(I just did some dry-walling and had dust everywhere and the
compressor in the living room... which gave me the idea.)

I actually did this for the basement of my now-rental house as I moved out. I
used a very powerful box fan exhausting in one window, with a distant window
open for air supply, and blasted EVERYTHING with a "sandblaster" (no sand)
nozzle on my 5HP compressor. That basement had never been so clean - floor,
walls, and ceiling joist space. Spider webs - gone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Bill wrote:

Men dust no more! Don't vacuum, rather use the air compressor with the
air blow tool...

Open a door and then a window. Then stick a box fan so it blows air
out the window. Then use the compressor / air blow tool to blow all
the dust off everything, then most of the dust goes out the window!

This works great for around a stereo / TV where it gets all that dust
back behind the components. Also cleans off the remote controls and
things like a phone.

(I just did some dry-walling and had dust everywhere and the
compressor in the living room... which gave me the idea.)

Why should only men do this easy way? Why not women?

Should not women as well as men use more powerful tools to get home
cleaning done faster?

To get women more time to work their high-and-increasingly-necessary
and usual employment outside the home? Or, as housewives, to have more
time for raising not-in-school children or to have some lives of their
own?

Advice to husbands of housewives: Don't hold secrets of ways to make it
easier or quicker for your housewives to do what you want them to do.

For that matter, husbands of housewives do better by chipping in with
home chores. If the wife sees the husband doing some of the work, enough
to give the wife added spare time, then the wife tends to get hornier!

Furthermore, hubby helping wife with unpleasant chores, sharing wife's
experience, gets wife and husband closer to each other in more than one
way, likely more horny!

--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2011 2:32 PM, Frank wrote:
On 3/7/2011 1:56 PM, Bill wrote:
Men dust no more! Don't vacuum, rather use the air compressor with the
air blow tool...

Open a door and then a window. Then stick a box fan so it blows air out
the window. Then use the compressor / air blow tool to blow all the dust
off everything, then most of the dust goes out the window!

This works great for around a stereo / TV where it gets all that dust
back behind the components. Also cleans off the remote controls and
things like a phone.

(I just did some dry-walling and had dust everywhere and the compressor
in the living room... which gave me the idea.)

Electric leaf blower works better. I use it in my car. Don't use gas
powered one in the house. Dittos for your compressor and use oil-less.

I routinely use leaf blower to blow the dust bunnies out of old
computers I am resurrecting. Pop the lid, set them down in driveway, and
have at it.

Don't try a leaf blower in the basement however. (Cough, cough...) DAMHIKT.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2011 5:39 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 3/7/2011 2:32 PM, Frank wrote:
On 3/7/2011 1:56 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

Know it was posted as a funny but I use leaf blower to get leaves out of
garage and just pull car out, open doors and blast away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2011 2:32 PM, Frank wrote:
On 3/7/2011 1:56 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

Oh, I do that too, about once a year, to get winter sandpiles and
cobwebs and left-over orphan leaves out of the place. That big open door
makes all the difference. There was just no practical way to set up a
fast air exchange in my basement, the way it is chopped up. (I was
trying to be nice to the plumber I had scheduled in, by getting the
joist bays blown out.) I'd have to rent some fire-department style vent
fans with the ducts.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Same counsell for using the customer's shop vac. Well, be
sure the customer's shop vac has a bag and filter before
using it. DAMHIKT.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

I routinely use leaf blower to blow the dust bunnies out of
old
computers I am resurrecting. Pop the lid, set them down in
driveway, and
have at it.

Don't try a leaf blower in the basement however. (Cough,
cough...) DAMHIKT.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've cleaned under refrigerators, with a brush in one hand,
vacuum cleaner in other hand. How many people on this list
think that God hates vacuum cleaners? Or was that bushes
that God hates?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bill" wrote in message
Men dust no more! Don't vacuum, rather use the air
compressor with the
air blow tool...

Open a door and then a window. Then stick a box fan so it
blows air
out the window. Then use the compressor / air blow tool to
blow all
the dust off everything, then most of the dust goes out the
window!

This works great for around a stereo / TV where it gets all
that dust
back behind the components. Also cleans off the remote
controls and
things like a phone.

(I just did some dry-walling and had dust everywhere and the
compressor in the living room... which gave me the idea.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
Men dust no more! Don't vacuum, rather use the air compressor with the
air blow tool...

Open a door and then a window. Then stick a box fan so it blows air
out the window. Then use the compressor / air blow tool to blow all
the dust off everything, then most of the dust goes out the window!

This works great for around a stereo / TV where it gets all that dust
back behind the components. Also cleans off the remote controls and
things like a phone.

(I just did some dry-walling and had dust everywhere and the
compressor in the living room... which gave me the idea.)

No, you got the idea from the movie "Caddy Shack".

You use an air compressor to clear a clogged drain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That could hurt.

I've heard of some folks using a 3,000 PSI pressure washer
to clear a clogged toilet. Didn't open the drain any, but
the toilet was immediately clear of TP and other solids.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

(I just did some dry-walling and had dust everywhere and
the
compressor in the living room... which gave me the idea.)

No, you got the idea from the movie "Caddy Shack".

You use an air compressor to clear a clogged drain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
That could hurt.

I've heard of some folks using a 3,000 PSI pressure washer
to clear a clogged toilet. Didn't open the drain any, but
the toilet was immediately clear of TP and other solids.

A neighbor tried a pressure washer to clean the shower grout. Then he learned to
replace loose tile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Meh - it only takes 5-10 psi to clear a clogged toilet. Any more than that
and you risk blowing out the wax seal, and even 5psi can damage an iffy
seal. You do NOT want a sewer pipe blowing! In my case, it would drain into
my basement (ewwww)....

That could hurt.

I've heard of some folks using a 3,000 PSI pressure washer
to clear a clogged toilet. Didn't open the drain any, but
the toilet was immediately clear of TP and other solids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

First time in days, I've laughed till I could hardly see.
Oh, that's a hoot.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 18:05:40 -0600, "HeyBub"

wrote:

You use an air compressor to clear a clogged drain.

That can be dangerous. I lived in an apartment and tried a
CO2 fire
extinguisher to clear a plugged drain. It blew out a pipe in
the
utility room below. Things looked fine on my end.,
It took them a few days to figure out they had a problem but
it wasn't
pretty. The whole building was draining into that room.
They never figured out what happened

Posted to alt.home.repair

How about a carbon dioxide extinguisher, instead? That would
work.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Zootal" wrote in message
7.131...
Meh - it only takes 5-10 psi to clear a clogged toilet. Any
more than that
and you risk blowing out the wax seal, and even 5psi can
damage an iffy
seal. You do NOT want a sewer pipe blowing! In my case, it
would drain into
my basement (ewwww)....

That could hurt.

I've heard of some folks using a 3,000 PSI pressure washer
to clear a clogged toilet. Didn't open the drain any, but
the toilet was immediately clear of TP and other solids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Too much back splash. Makes a real mess. Frozen poop all over the place.

How about a carbon dioxide extinguisher, instead? That would
work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
Men dust no more! Don't vacuum, rather use the air compressor with the air
blow tool...

Open a door and then a window. Then stick a box fan so it blows air out
the window. Then use the compressor / air blow tool to blow all the dust
off everything, then most of the dust goes out the window!

This works great for around a stereo / TV where it gets all that dust back
behind the components. Also cleans off the remote controls and things like
a phone.

(I just did some dry-walling and had dust everywhere and the compressor in
the living room... which gave me the idea.)

I have used either compressed air or an electric blower many times in my
house after renovations. I have a large family room with a stamped concrete
floor. It's time to move everything out, blow it out, blow it out again,
mop very wetly, wet vac, mop very wetly, wet vac, mop last time with clear
water, let air dry for two days, blow it out again, apply final sealer coat.
Good for 3-5 years. About 275 sf.

Those silk plants, and complex fake plastic things clean very well with
compressed air, also. Lots of things. Just have vent fans going, or you
are only moving it around.

SteveB

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
(I just did some dry-walling and had dust everywhere and the
compressor in the living room... which gave me the idea.)

I have used either compressed air or an electric blower many times in
my house after renovations. I have a large family room with a
stamped concrete floor. It's time to move everything out, blow it
out, blow it out again, mop very wetly, wet vac, mop very wetly, wet
vac, mop last time with clear water, let air dry for two days, blow
it out again, apply final sealer coat. Good for 3-5 years. About 275
sf.
Those silk plants, and complex fake plastic things clean very well
with compressed air, also. Lots of things. Just have vent fans
going, or you are only moving it around.

I have an outside air hose by the back steps. A quick "scan" with the blaster
nozzle gets all the crud out of the tread of my shoes before I go inside after
gardening. I probably use more air on that than anything else. The 10 foot
copper pipe, adjustable end nozzle gutter cleaner runs a close second.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try explaining that to the hospital staff!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Zootal" wrote in message
. 97.131...
Too much back splash. Makes a real mess. Frozen poop all
over the place.

How about a carbon dioxide extinguisher, instead? That
would
work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message

Why should only men do this easy way? Why not women?

Should not women as well as men use more powerful tools to get home
cleaning done faster?

Good idea!

Men should buy their wife an air compressor. That sounds like an
excellent gift for Christmas, birthday, or anniversary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I have an outside air hose by the back steps. A quick "scan" with the

blaster
nozzle gets all the crud out of the tread of my shoes before I go inside

after
gardening. I probably use more air on that than anything else. The 10 foot
copper pipe, adjustable end nozzle gutter cleaner runs a close second.

What great ideas. I was looking for an excuse to buy an auto-retracting air
hose to mount below the porch and now I have it. Tell me more about the air
powered gutter cleaning wand. Home brew or COTS?

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 7:25*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Try explaining that to the hospital staff!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Zootal" wrote in message

. 97.131...
Too much back splash. Makes a real mess. Frozen poop all
over the place.

How about a carbon dioxide extinguisher, instead? That
would
work.

From the nurses lounge at the hospital that we transport most of our
ambulance cases to. Read after the style of a Jeff Foxworthy "You
might be a redneck if..." comedy routine.
You might work in a hospital emergency department if you've ever had
someone look you right in the eye and deny any knowledge of how some
foreign object got into some orifice of their body.
--
Tom Horne
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I have an outside air hose by the back steps. A quick "scan" with
the blaster nozzle gets all the crud out of the tread of my shoes
before I go inside after gardening. I probably use more air on that
than anything else. The 10 foot copper pipe, adjustable end nozzle
gutter cleaner runs a close second.

What great ideas. I was looking for an excuse to buy an
auto-retracting air hose to mount below the porch and now I have it.
Tell me more about the air powered gutter cleaning wand. Home brew
or COTS?

Home brew. Air fitting and ball valve on one end of a 1/2" copper pipe. On the
other end, a female thread fitting. Into that I screwed two threaded PVC street
ells and a nozzle I made by heating a few inches of copper tube and clamping it
around a nail, then pulling the nail out. The 2 street ells allow the nozzle to
be pointed any way I want, and can form a "hook" that helps guide it along the
gutter edge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote:

Robert Green wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

stuff snipped

[...]

Thanks for the inspiration. That sounds a lot less wieldy than the
cob job of leaf-blower, vac hose, and 2" PVC that I use to get up to
my 20foot high gutters.

And it might even work a tad better on my maple & oak droppings.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Bob F" wrote:

Robert Green wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

stuff snipped

[...]

A 20 foot length of 1/2" copper will be unwieldly with high air pressure. Even
the 10 foot one I have can get out of control when the air flow is on if I'm not
careful. The copper can flex quite a bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
"Don Klipstein" wrote in message

Why should only men do this easy way? Why not women?

Should not women as well as men use more powerful tools to get home
cleaning done faster?

Good idea!

Men should buy their wife an air compressor. That sounds like an excellent
gift for Christmas, birthday, or anniversary.

Why do women insist on using those mops and brushes that are about 8" wide?
I like the Navy swabbie type mops, and the 24" wide soft bristle brooms to
cover large areas of hard flooring. Gets it done quick, and does a good
job. But women tend to like those toothbrush sized utensils.

She WAS impressed at the way compressed air cleans off the silk plants, and
some of the statuary that has a lot of nooks and crannies. And I think she
actually uses it when I'm not around, but she denies doing so. But I can
tell by the way she coils the hose............. ;-)

Go figger.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

Why do women insist on using those mops and brushes that are about 8"
wide? I like the Navy swabbie type mops, and the 24" wide soft
bristle brooms to cover large areas of hard flooring. Gets it done
quick, and does a good job. But women tend to like those toothbrush
sized utensils.
She WAS impressed at the way compressed air cleans off the silk
plants, and some of the statuary that has a lot of nooks and
crannies. And I think she actually uses it when I'm not around, but
she denies doing so. But I can tell by the way she coils the
hose............. ;-)

Wait 'til she starts using your razor blades to sharpen her eyebrow pencils.

You'll know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:

stuff snipped

[...]

Thanks for the info! How do you keep from getting a face full of gutter
muck? That's been the issue with the water driven method I occasionally
use. Every once in a while, I get a backscatter of muck which is much
better fertilizer than it is face cream.

I was almost going to get a IRobot gutter sweeper but it looked like more
trouble than it was worth.

Is there any truly "no maintenance" gutter system out there? A long
motorized auger running the length of the gutter might work. I know the
screens don't work. Stuff catches on them and the water runs right over
them.

--
Bobby G. (an On Topic thread! We're running almost 50% off topic these
days. Where's our statistician? We need to know what the OT signal to

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Bob F" wrote:

Robert Green wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

stuff snipped

[...]

Yes, I recall making a wand for the hose that was about 16' long and getting
my first face full of muck. That puppy sure did kick. The problem seems to
be that to make it rigid enough not to flex, you would have to make it too
heavy to use. I was going to try finned tubing to see if that added enough
rigidity to make it useful, but I never was able to find any. (This was in
the dark, pre-Internet days of the early 80's.) Besides, the backslash
ended my enthusiasm for power flushing the gutter.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
[...]

My cedar gutters make cleaning a lot easier. There are no supports in the
gutter, so I can just slide the air nozzle along, pushing the crud away from me.
It is best to clean when the gutters are dry. The crud blows out easier and
doesn't stick to everything it hits. I can clean the main floor gutters in 1/2
hour or less. That's probably about 180 feet of gutter. I have to set up a
ladder for the second floor, which is probably about 80 feet, and probably takes
me a bit longer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
[...]

That's a pretty big "secret weapon" against muck kickbacks. I always get
into trouble in the area around the gutter supports. Still, it's worth a
try . . .

It is best to clean when the gutters are dry. The crud blows out easier

and
doesn't stick to everything it hits. I can clean the main floor gutters in

1/2
hour or less. That's probably about 180 feet of gutter. I have to set up a
ladder for the second floor, which is probably about 80 feet, and probably

takes
me a bit longer.

Sounds like it's worth a shot. I'll post if I decide to build my own air
pressure wand. I wonder if there's some way to build a gutter "pig" like
the ones they use in pipelines. Something that sits up there with a pull
rope on each side that I can use to drag the assembly from side to side.
It's hard to believe so little progress has been made in gutter cleaning
since gutters were first implemented.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2011 8:35 PM, Robert Green wrote:
"Bob wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
[...]

When I hit the lotto and build my dream house- No Gutters! Big
overhangs, yard sloped away from house, and something that won't form
ruts at the drip lines. In the neighborhoods around my other house down
in Lake Charles, no more than 1/3 of the houses even have gutters at
all. And it rains a lot down there. The trees also drop leaves pretty
much year around, in spurts. (Kinda like a shedding dog.) The
gutterless houses generally have a skinny gravel-filled trench at drip
line, or a row of thirsty-species bushes, sometimes in 1950s style long
skinny planter boxes.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
[...]

This house doesn't have gutters (exposed, fake, rafter ends) and the trench at
the drip line is a PITA (as is the mud sprayed back on the brick). I'm adding
pavers around the front and one side to deflect the rain. I'll eventually
replace the mulch in the beds with rock and bury the pavers.