Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Housecleaning for men - Air compressor!

Robert Green wrote:
Home brew. Air fitting and ball valve on one end of a 1/2" copper
pipe. On the other end, a female thread fitting. Into that I screwed
two threaded PVC street ells and a nozzle I made by heating a few
inches of copper tube and clamping it around a nail, then pulling
the nail out. The 2 street ells allow the nozzle to be pointed any
way I want, and can form a "hook" that helps guide it along the
gutter edge.

Thanks for the info! How do you keep from getting a face full of
gutter muck? That's been the issue with the water driven method I
occasionally use. Every once in a while, I get a backscatter of muck
which is much better fertilizer than it is face cream.

I was almost going to get a IRobot gutter sweeper but it looked like
more trouble than it was worth.

Is there any truly "no maintenance" gutter system out there? A long
motorized auger running the length of the gutter might work. I know
the screens don't work. Stuff catches on them and the water runs
right over them.

My cedar gutters make cleaning a lot easier. There are no supports in the
gutter, so I can just slide the air nozzle along, pushing the crud away from me.
It is best to clean when the gutters are dry. The crud blows out easier and
doesn't stick to everything it hits. I can clean the main floor gutters in 1/2
hour or less. That's probably about 180 feet of gutter. I have to set up a
ladder for the second floor, which is probably about 80 feet, and probably takes
me a bit longer.