Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make 6 inch concrete blocks?

In article
,
Harry K wrote:

On Feb 17, 7:30*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
*Harry K wrote:

Yep. *23 posts and I am the only one who even answered his question.
From Post 2 on it is all criticism of how he "screwed up".

Harry K

What was that line from Bugsy? Oh yeah: You can suck your gold star
right out of my dick.

Facts really suck for you don't they?

Harry K

No, I love facts. I guess you found my humor lacking. I'll work on my
material a bit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Hard to believe that there are 43 posts and only one answered your

question.

Sadly, not hard to believe at all. It seems that on day one of a new
thread, one third of the posts are scolds, as in "you did something
stupid/wrong/different" - another third are poor attempts at stand-up
comedy - and the final third might somehow be tangentially related to the
subject. After that first day, most of the threads degenerate into
political screeds, WD-40 retorts and stories about the "good old days." I
think that's why a lot of web-based boards and chat groups encourage people
to vote for the "most helpful" answers. That tends to quickly sort out the
people who are genuinely interesting in helping from the people who feel
compelled to respond to every post, whether it's relevant, helpful or
completely self-serving.

Some threads remain remarkably free of drift while others, like this one,
wander away in the wrong direction right out of the starting gate.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 1:45*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

[...]

well its t least a matter of safety......

a deck not on footers, not bolted to building could move and toss
people off. People dance and do all sorts of things on decks like kids
playing ball. Plus decks often have a grill on them adding even more
hazards.

the cost to build a deck properly isnt much more than a cheap job. you
still need all the joists, deck boards, and hopefully a railing.
although this deck may not have a railing.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message

[...]

Why should be people here give the OP advice on how to build
something improperly ?

We confirmed that 6" concrete blocks exist... Or he could cut
down larger blocks with a gas powered cut off saw...

But seriously, people who give advice here are interested in
explaining how to do things properly, not how to redneck
the **** out of the job...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 8:24*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:39:05 -0800 (PST), Evan

wrote:
Ah, yeah... *Why is your "deck" not properly secured to the ground ?

If it is resting on blocks then I can imagine several scenarios where
it could "move" or "tip" on its own... *Sounds very unsafe...

WOW, a 24" fall. *Damnit, I could be killed lol
I better spend $47,569.99 to rebuild it so it cant fall off the 3
stacked blocks which cant move anyhow, and the bottom block is halfway
in the ground, with cement pad under that. *Oddly enough, my whole
traielr house sets on stacked concrete blocks, which is how they are
installed by the pros.

At least I'm not like my neighbor who had a bad floor in his trailer
and both he and his wife are very large. *While having sex, their bed
went thru the floor..... Two legs on the headboard end went right down
thru the floor. *Then the bed boards came detached from the headboard.
Now that's something to FEAR !!!!! *When he called me to come and help
him fix the floor, and said his bed went thru the floor, I cracked up
laughing..... *He didnt think it was so funny !!!

Wow, a 24" fall... Right, so the people who might be standing near
the
deck within the area it could fall down won't be in any way injured or
hurt by the thousand some odd pounds of lumber pinning them to the
ground or taking their feet off if it fell...

Oddly enough, your trailer house is considered a VEHICLE... So
jacking
it up on blocks is ok, as it is designed for that purpose, the blocks
are
there to provide a base for the levelers, your trailer is anchored
down
to the ground by other means rather than being bolted to structure
supported by footings like other types of buildings are...

Your wooden "raft" laid on blocks at your door however is not, and if
you
want to call it a "deck" it needs to be bolted down to properly
constructed
structure so that if an accident happened a thousand or so pounds of
lumber won't be able to move freely on its own...

You know, like too many people sitting on the edge of the deck, as you
said its only 24" up its likely it doesn't have a railing... Or
someone
hitting it with a car, lawn mower/tractor, go cart, dirt bike or
something...
There is a reason why decks are supposed to be bolted down to proper
footings... That is so that it won't move as an entire unit if a
small
accident happens and disturbs the status quo...

Hope you fix your "deck" properly so you don't end up getting sued
if an accident happens...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 9:56*pm, " wrote:
On Feb 17, 8:26*pm, wrote:

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 06:27:24 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
He's got a small deck that's not even 3 feet off the ground. *His
problem isn't frost heave, it's the buildup of snow and ice on top of
the deck in front of the door. *Get a grip.-

or tear the deck apart and rebuild it properly

As soon as I get a check from you for $47,569.99, I'll do just
that....

When can I expect this check?

actually the cost to disassemble it and rebuild properly wouldnt be
that much money.

new hardware mostly and add footers

LOL... Yeah too people who know what they are doing...

But to someone who doesn't... ROFL, well the lumber is *used* so
that means they need to get new stuff so they can cut on it and
hammer nails into fresh wood...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 10:13*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 17, 12:34 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
" wrote:

-snip-

I want a cite that decks dont need to be attached to the building......

am I reading this correctly;
p1- #5
"Decks off cantilevered houses require deck joists to either be run to
the bearing wall or be supported
independently"http://www.niskayuna.org/Public_Documents/NiskayunaNY_Building/Deck.pdf

Sounds to me like a deck can be independently supported.

Jim

#6 deck ledger boards must be bolted to the home and footer must be at
least 42 inches deep to minimize freeze heaving.....

So, if I wanted to build a deck in the middle of a field, I'd have to built
a house along side to support it?

No, if you built a platform/deck in the middle of a field you would
have
to definitely build it on properly dug footings and bolt posts and
beams
to said footings to support the deck joists...

Stacks of CMU blocks would not be either adequate nor proper for
supporting a safely built deck... However if you have the money to
afford to either settle or defend the lawsuits, do whatever you feel
you want to until a civil court Judge and jury tells you that your way
of doing it was wrong, oh and pay the people who got hurt money...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

this discussion is like somone coming here stating i wired my home
with light cord, the stranded wire doesnt connect well at breakers.
and what do I do with these green ground connections cut them off

sometimes people need to be informed what they did isnt safe.......

people sitting with feet dangling over 24 inch high deck could see
their legs crushed if the deck suddenly moved.

in such a case your homeowners insurance company may refuse to pay.
the homeowner with the hazard could lose everything they own.

shouldnt the person at least be informed what they did is unsafe?

then its up to them to fix it or not.

if it were me i would want to be informed
Posted to alt.home.repair

8. *Deck is only 7x10 feet. *I built it on the lawn and set it in
place with the tractor. *Steps were added later.
I can lift with tractor again, or just jack it up an inch to change
blocks. *Step stringers will have to be cut off 2" on bottom. *Not a
problem it's all screwed together.-

so the bottom step will be 2 inches less than the remainder. a door to
door solicitor comes by and trips because the steps dont match.

they can sue you if they get hurt. say lower back pain, impossible to
prove one way or the other......

do you have homeowers insurance?

theres a reason code requires all steps to be the same height, because
far too many people got hurt in the past from disassimiliar
steps.......

oh well you were warned
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
-

stuff snipped

My back deck/porch is level with the interior floor on the other
side of the sliding glass door. I'm glad because there is less chance
of me tripping when I carry a big pan of pieces of lifeless animal
carcasses to the grill. ^_^

Good golly, what do you eat that you can fit several of their bodies on a
pan? Possums? Squirrels? Pigeons? Mice? (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2011 9:55 AM, Robert Green wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
-

stuff snipped

My back deck/porch is level with the interior floor on the other
side of the sliding glass door. I'm glad because there is less chance
of me tripping when I carry a big pan of pieces of lifeless animal
carcasses to the grill. ^_^

Good golly, what do you eat that you can fit several of their bodies on a
pan? Possums? Squirrels? Pigeons? Mice? (-:

--
Bobby G.

Neighborhood pets and the occasional small child. I love children, the
toes are the crunchy part. :-O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 10:45*pm, "Robert Green"
wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

[...]

Yep. I don't think I have ever seen on go off on a tangent and never
address the base point before though

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message

[...]

although this deck may not have a railing.......- Hide quoted text -

But with 43 posts about it being improperly attached it turns out it
_was_ attached all along. Talk about people making unwarranted
assumptions.

Codes vary from one place to another and saying that a deck has to be
built to 'earthquake' standards without knowing what the codes are
does the usual "assumption" thing. I think I will check with my local
code enforcer today and see what they say for my area.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

-snip-

I want a cite that decks dont need to be attached to the building.....

am I reading this correctly;
p1- #5
"Decks off cantilevered houses require deck joists to either be run to
the bearing wall or be supported independently"http://www.niskayuna.org/Public_Documents/NiskayunaNY_Building/Deck.pdf

Sounds to me like a deck can be independently supported.

Jim

ROFL... Being "held up off the ground on loosely stacked CMUs
is not STRUCTURALLY SUPPORTED... Even if you grout the CMUs
solid, they are not tied down to footings and bolted with the proper
hangers, to keep the entire structure from shifting... Relying on
the mass of the deck to hold it down IS *NEVER* proper, and it is
not "independent support"...

Sounds like you are just playing semantics with the words and
totally not understanding the defined concepts in the standard
building code which still applies above and beyond whatever
specific interpretations and additional protections the local
AHJ adds to it...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 8:11*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:11:02 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Feb 16, 1:26 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Feb 15, 3:35 am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 2/15/2011 4:08 AM, wrote:

I have a small deck built in stacked 8 inch concrete blocks. I first
put in concrete pads in the ground, then stacked three 8 inch concrete
blocks on top and built the deck on them. This deck was fine in the
summer, but when winter came, I found it was too close to the bottom
of the storm door on the house. Just the smallest amount of ice on
the deck and we cant open the storm door. As soon as the ice and snow
is gone, I want to lower the deck about 2 inches. I can easily lift
it with a jack. My idea is to remove the top 8 inch block and replace
it with a 6 inch one in all four corners. But, do they make 6 inch
blocks? I know 8" is the most common, and they make 4" ones. But I
never seens 6" ones. I suppose if nothing else I can make some solid
ones with a wooden form and some Redi-Mix.

Thanks

It might be easier to install a strip of electric heat tape to melt the
ice around the door threshold. Perhaps there is enough room under the
threshold to install some heat tape?

TDD

Nobody is paying attention to what seems (to this non-techie) a simple
solution. You all got off on rebuilding the deck according to code.
AFAK, the guy is only trying to get his ****ing door open in winter.
What am I missing?

HB- Hide quoted text -

it sounds like the deck isnt attached to the building, and thats a
safety hazard. 3 8 inch blocks is high enough for someone to get hurt
if the deck comes off the blocks.

and at home resale time a home inspector will make it into the end of
the world.... but it might just end the sale

If he rebuilds the deck now or has it rebuilt to code, he can do the
work himself or a handyman can.

push this off to home resale time, and buyer will demand registered
everything

1. Its a trailer house

2. The deck is attached to the house with two L-brackets, one on each
side.

3. The deck cant pull away from the house because the bottom steps in
front have eye bolts under the bottom step with rebar driven in the
ground.

4. I'm not worried about resale value. *I dont plan to move.

5. I'm not woried about inspections, it's a farm house and when this
trailer first arrived I only had concrete block steps. *The inspector
only checked to see if I had a smoke detector, said they dont inspect
trailers any more than that.

6. How could I put heat tape in treated 2x6 deck boards.

7. The deck is still too high. *I built it level with the house floor.
The threshold is an inch above the floor. *Deck lifted a little during
the winter. *Ice dripped off awning above door, froze on the snow, I
could not get out the door. *Had to use rear door.

8. *Deck is only 7x10 feet. *I built it on the lawn and set it in
place with the tractor. *Steps were added later.
I can lift with tractor again, or just jack it up an inch to change
blocks. *Step stringers will have to be cut off 2" on bottom. *Not a
problem it's all screwed together.

In #1

Being a trailer doesn't exempt it from being permitted and
inspected as a deck, because that was something you
added to it that was not certified by the state approved
inspectors at the assembly plant where the trailer was
constructed... The deck was added after the trailer was
set up and it was not part of a designed package...

In #2

L-brackets with screws are NOT structural supports...
You need to bolt a deck to substantial structure along
the entire 10' length of the deck next to the house with
lag bolts to wood or using carriage bolts to the metal
frame of the trailer...

In #3

If you think that a couple of rebar driven into the ground at the
steps will hold back the deck in the event of a piece of motorized
equipment crashing into it, you are going to be quite surprised
when you are sued for personal injury and possibly charged
with criminal negligence for building an unsafe and substandard
entry to your home...

In #4

Cool, if I were you, I would be more concerned with retaining
ownership of the trailer and the land it sits on if you have a
negligence judgment levied against you in civil court, medical
expenses are quite large with crushing injuries, forget it if your
dimwitedness resulted in an amputation... Pain and suffering...
Etc. Etc. But as long as you know it is a possibility that you
could lose the family homestead over such things, its your life...

In #5

Yup, it is inspected to the regulations of the state of delivery
as it is rolling off the assembly line where it was put together,
all the local inspector has to do is verify the life safety devices...

In #7

If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't have built it like
that...

In #8

That is the whole ****ing point man... You can lift it with the
tractor,
that means that the deck has not been properly built and installed
according to building code... I dunno where this "deck" is located,
but if you are in tornado country, I am sure that a tornado would be
able to lift it and then its a deadly missile which could penetrate
anything and anyone around it...

Your deck needs to be supported by footings dug into the ground
at least four feet for frost, that have a bell end to the footing to
lock
it into the ground... The deck support post needs to then be bolted
to the footing, then the posts bolted to the structure of the deck,
so as to permanently attach it for safety...

Your "construction" is an accident waiting to happen...

You have been warned... Just hope that it isn't someone you
love who gets hurt when you loose the incredibly stupid lottery
you are playing right now...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

wrote:

On 2/15/2011 4:08 AM, wrote:

[...]

good grief. You do 100 things every day that are 1000 times more
"dangerous" than what you're scolding the OP for. It's not a
cantilevered second story deck, for god's sake. Leave him alone already.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 2:54*pm, Evan wrote:
On Feb 17, 8:11*pm, wrote:

snip

*I dunno where this "deck" is located,
but if you are in tornado country, I am sure that a tornado would be
able to lift it and then its a deadly missile which could penetrate
anything and anyone around it...

You don't know where it is but you somehow know what the local codes
are.

Your deck needs to be supported by footings dug into the ground
at least four feet for frost, that have a bell end to the footing to
lock
it into the ground... *

snip

Have you told the building inspectors in florida that footing need to
be 4' deep for FROST protection? There aren't very many states that
need to be that deep to be below the frost line. Last time I dug
footing (1986 in E Washington) I only had to go 30". And yes tht was
the code.

So all those pole buildings, sheds, etc being built around the country
are not code compliant? Clue, you dig a hole tolocal code specs,
stick the pole in and till with well tamped soil or gravel. Here, at
least, there is no requirement for a "bell end".

So you don't know wher it is but insist you know what thelocal codes
are.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 11:42*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Feb 18, 2:54*pm, Evan wrote:

On Feb 17, 8:11*pm, wrote:

snip

[...]

theres a reason 43 posts were about what he did wrong......... because
it was pure wrong and someone could get hurt

beyond the fiancial liability just the thought of hurting a person
perhaps permanetely by building something half assed chills me.

I was at home depot the other day, a customer was telling the clerk he
wanted to buy a 125 foot extension cord to run power permanetely to
his back yard. he wanted to run the extension cord down the center of
his driveway in the crack control slit the concrete guy just cut in
his new driveway.

I said extension cords are not permanent and a real hazard someone
walking down the driveway could step on the cord and get electrocuted.

the shopper asked wheres the extension cords? and he said he would
tell his kids not to walk in that area

as i wealked away the sales guy who had a clue was attempting to
explain futher why this wasnt a good idea.

i saw the customer later at a register, and said hop you never kill
anyone........

he muttered something and must have been a wife said i told you that
wasnt safe........

codes are there to prevent unnecessary pain and suffering
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2011 7:51 AM, wrote:
On Feb 18, 11:42 pm, Harry wrote:
On Feb 18, 2:54 pm, wrote:

On Feb 17, 8:11 pm, wrote:

snip

[...]

I have come to believe in my latter years that there should be NO
government mandated safety standards. I now believe that everything
should be as dangerous as possible. All consumer items, all sports,
all recreation and all manufacturing should be as perilous to life
and limb without regard to protecting the dumb-asses of the world.
If you stand in a puddle of water and operate a plug-in electric
power tool, you deserve to be electrocuted. Ride you bike without a
helmet, go ahead, get your brains scattered all over some street.
Forget wearing eye protection during construction, being blind isn't
so bad. I want natural selection, the human race is degrading because
for some inexplicable reason, we promote reproduction of stupid people
by protecting them from themselves. I want education for sure, I want
the information about safe living to be available but I want nobody
to be able to demand compensation when they do something stupid. I
want extreme personal responsibility. You cause an accident through
your stupidity and kill someone, it's a capital crime, death or life
welded in a steel box where you will never have a chance to pass on
your stupid genes. IT'S TIME TO THIN THE HEARD!! ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 5:51*am, " wrote:
On Feb 18, 11:42*pm, Harry K wrote:

On Feb 18, 2:54*pm, Evan wrote:

On Feb 17, 8:11*pm, wrote:

snip

[...]

codes are there to prevent unnecessary pain and suffering- Hide quoted text -

Yes, and codes are LOCAL. There is no US wide code. When some idiot
says that footing need to be 4' deep for frost but "doesn't know where
the poster is"...
There is a whole bunch of bushwa in here about code compliance and
noone even knows where he is or what the "code" is there. My guess is
that his deck doesnt' meet them.

If you read through my posts, you will see that nowhere do I claim
what he did is OK. I onlypoint out the stupid part of the posts
people are throwing at him.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 10:16*am, Harry K wrote:
On Feb 19, 5:51*am, " wrote:

On Feb 18, 11:42*pm, Harry K wrote:

On Feb 18, 2:54*pm, Evan wrote:

On Feb 17, 8:11*pm, wrote:

snip

[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

well snow and ice are accumulating so he isnt in florida, and would
need some footer. so OP provided enough info to get a idea of what he
was up too......
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring wrote in message
-

stuff snipped

My back deck/porch is level with the interior floor on the other
side of the sliding glass door. I'm glad because there is less chance
of me tripping when I carry a big pan of pieces of lifeless animal
carcasses to the grill. ^_^

Good golly, what do you eat that you can fit several of their bodies on a
pan? Possums? Squirrels? Pigeons? Mice? (-:

--
Bobby G.

Neighborhood pets and the occasional small child. I love children, the
toes are the crunchy part. :-O

You do it for the children?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make immigration policies that make sense?

The "Nation's Leaders" we have in the USA are manipulating
the population in ways I don't like. A person who enters the
country illegally, and commits crimes gets free (to him)
health care and housing, legal representation, etc. The
illegals tend to have large families of anchor babies, who
grow to puberty and breed more illegals. On the ohter hand,
the hard working American citizens tend to have small
families, work hard, and pay excessively for medical care.
Which tax and payments cover the cost of the care for the
illegals.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 14:54:03 -0800 (PST), Evan
wrote:

You have been warned... Just hope that it isn't someone you
love who gets hurt when you loose the incredibly stupid lottery
you are playing right now...

~~ Evan

You're assuming he loves someone.....
That's a big assumption to make, since you dont know the guy.
How do you know he loves anyone.
For all you know, he might hate everyone.

Also, how do you know he plays the lottery?
Maybe he is against gambling and has never bought a lottery ticket.

Ted

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make 6 inch concrete blocks? / Outdoor electrical cord

Summer heat, and the concrete will expand. Crush the hot
extension cord, and very possibly be either a safety
hazzard, or short the wire out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I was at home depot the other day, a customer was telling
the clerk he
wanted to buy a 125 foot extension cord to run power
permanetely to
his back yard. he wanted to run the extension cord down the
center of
his driveway in the crack control slit the concrete guy just
cut in
his new driveway.

I said extension cords are not permanent and a real hazard
someone
walking down the driveway could step on the cord and get
electrocuted.

the shopper asked wheres the extension cords? and he said he
would
tell his kids not to walk in that area

as i wealked away the sales guy who had a clue was
attempting to
explain futher why this wasnt a good idea.

i saw the customer later at a register, and said hope you
never kill
anyone........

he muttered something and must have been a wife said i told
you that
wasnt safe........

codes are there to prevent unnecessary pain and suffering

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most fellows with XXX rated girl friends wait
till they can reach the pedals, get their own drivers
license, and get out of high school. But, well,
some fellows like the early years.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

Oh yea, my newest girlfriend is Addison Olivia XXX,
I've known Addy's mom since she was a little girl.
Addy started walking a month ago and she doesn't
quite know what to make of me when I go for her
toes. She's so tiny and one day she'll have hair. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
You have been warned... *Just hope that it isn't someone you
love who gets hurt when you loose the incredibly stupid lottery
you are playing right now...

~~ Evan

You're assuming he loves someone.....
That's a big assumption to make, since you dont know the guy.
How do you know he loves anyone.
For all you know, he might hate everyone.

Also, how do you know he plays the lottery?
Maybe he is against gambling and has never bought a lottery ticket.

Ted

dont worry if something bad happens the new property owners will make
the property safe for the next owner, they can use all his assets like
retirement savings. i just heard a judgement can attach up to 55% of
his social security too......

doing truly unsafe stuff can get rewards of the person losing
everything they own........

of course if the visitor sitting on the deck when it collapses loses a
leg its really not enough......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2011 4:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Most fellows with XXX rated girl friends wait
till they can reach the pedals, get their own drivers
license, and get out of high school. But, well,
some fellows like the early years.

Addy is a real cutey and I'm not revealing her last name.
Do not make off color jokes about my little friends, it's
very rude and uncalled for.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, I will admit that you didn't call for that. You did
leave yourself wide open, though.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus