Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make 6 inch concrete blocks?

On Feb 19, 10:16*am, Harry K wrote:
On Feb 19, 5:51*am, " wrote:

On Feb 18, 11:42*pm, Harry K wrote:

On Feb 18, 2:54*pm, Evan wrote:

On Feb 17, 8:11*pm, wrote:

snip

*I dunno where this "deck" is located,

but if you are in tornado country, I am sure that a tornado would be
able to lift it and then its a deadly missile which could penetrate
anything and anyone around it...

You don't know where it is but you somehow know what the local codes
are.

Your deck needs to be supported by footings dug into the ground
at least four feet for frost, that have a bell end to the footing to
lock
it into the ground... *

snip

Have you told the building inspectors in florida that footing need to
be 4' deep for FROST protection? There aren't very many states that
need to be that deep to be below the frost line. *Last time I dug
footing (1986 in E Washington) I only had to go 30". *And yes tht was
the code.

So all those pole buildings, sheds, etc being built around the country
are not code compliant? *Clue, you dig a hole tolocal code specs,
stick the pole in and till with well tamped soil or gravel. *Here, at
least, there is no requirement for a "bell end".

So you don't know wher it is but insist you know what thelocal codes
are.

Harry K

theres a reason 43 posts were about what he did wrong......... because
it was pure wrong and someone could get hurt

beyond the fiancial liability just the thought of hurting a person
perhaps permanetely by building something half assed chills me.

I was at home depot the other day, a customer was telling the clerk he
wanted to buy a 125 foot extension cord to run power permanetely to
his back yard. he wanted to run the extension cord down the center of
his driveway in the crack control slit the concrete guy just cut in
his new driveway.

I said extension cords are not permanent and a real hazard someone
walking down the driveway could step on the cord and get electrocuted.

the shopper asked wheres the extension cords? and he said he would
tell his kids not to walk in that area

as i wealked away the sales guy who had a clue was attempting to
explain futher why this wasnt a good idea.

i saw the customer later at a register, and said hop you never kill
anyone........

he muttered something and must have been a wife said i told you that
wasnt safe........

codes are there to prevent unnecessary pain and suffering- Hide quoted text -

Yes, and codes are LOCAL. *There is no US wide code. *When some idiot
says that footing need to be 4' deep for frost but "doesn't know where
the poster is"...
There is a whole bunch of bushwa in here about code compliance and
noone even knows where he is or what the "code" is there. *My guess is
that his deck doesnt' meet them.

If you read through my posts, you will see that nowhere do I claim
what he did is OK. *I onlypoint out the stupid part of the posts
people are throwing at him.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

well snow and ice are accumulating so he isnt in florida, and would
need some footer. so OP provided enough info to get a idea of what he
was up too......