Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default decorating concrete blocks to make them look like bricks?

This would probably sounds too wacky for all the pro out there, but
surely there must be a way of turning concrete blocks into lookalike
bricks?!
I am about to rebuild an external wall (the back only) and I would like
to use blocks instead of bricks (for costs and timing reasons).
The main problem is a cosmetic one as I am dealing with a terrace house
and all the other houses use red bricks.

Here are some ideas:

1) I decided to do an experiment using a router to carve brick patterns
into a block. The final result looks fine (the bricks part should be
painted), but the router bit is badly worn out.

2) Now I am thinking of using an angle grinder to do most of the
carving and using the router where the grinder would be unpracticable
(mortar junctions).

3) Another idea would be to use stucco like material to 'build' bricks
on the face of blocks.

4) On a lesser impact, why not use a thick layer of texture paint?

5) Or maybe there are out there merchants selling decorative blocks
which looks like bricks?

Been there before?
Please let me know.

Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Sep 2006 02:33:49 -0700, wrote:

5) Or maybe there are out there merchants selling decorative blocks
which looks like bricks?

Been there before?
Please let me know.

http://www.padipa.co.uk/

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I saw in a yard once "facing bricks" proper red (clay?) broicks but
thinner , about 1/2 inch deep, which would be ideal (remember laughing
cos they were more expensive than real bricks, but not by much)

carving into concrete sounds a bit labour intensive, and prone to
"human" error.

but then again I think the same is true of brick laying

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Derek ^ wrote:
On 1 Sep 2006 02:33:49 -0700, wrote:

5) Or maybe there are out there merchants selling decorative blocks
which looks like bricks?

Been there before?
Please let me know.

http://www.padipa.co.uk/

DG

Interesting link, but these Slipbricks or Thinbricks must be quite
expensive.
I was thinking of concrete blocks with patterns to make them look like
bricks...obviously there are a few issues regarding mortar joints. At
least 2 bits alongside the perimeter of the blocks need some sort of
adjustments.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

One of the reasons I love uk.d-i-y is the crazy ideas you get on here -
and this is the craziest for a while.

I think the main downside here is that it will be both more expensive
and take longer to make blocks look like bricks than to just use bricks
in the first place - by quite some margin.

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think the main downside here is that it will be both more expensive
and take longer to make blocks look like bricks than to just use bricks
in the first place - by quite some margin.

--
Grunff

Carving blocks was only one of the ideas...and anyhow, as far as I know
concrete blocks are sold at B&Q at about a third of the cost of bricks.

Regarding time; I am much more comfortable with angle grinders than
mortar (and its mixing and 'hurry up' cos' that stuff is gonna to dry
up...and yes throw away the remainder -half or so'- cos' I'm too slow!
- is that cost effective?).

Consider the texture paint...that must be the better solution...any
expert out there?

Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:

Another alternative is to use lime mortar (and bricks). I don't like the
stuff much, but from your POV it might be ideal. It takes *weeks* to
first-set, and *years* to fully set. You can mix up one lot, and use it
up slowly over a week or two. All you need to do is keep it covered.

Sounds interesting but lime bricks? Are these yellow in colour? The
bricks must be red (like the rest); also, I would have to incur in
extra costs because I have already bought the cement.
Most importantly, the rest of the house (the other 3 facades) are build
using bricks and cement.

thanks for your suggestion

Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Render the blocks and stamp on the brick pattern before it goes off?
I've seen driveways done like this but I don't know how easy it would be
on a vertical surface

Render...and stamp the brick pattern?!
You mean using textured paint? I am not sure what you mean...

Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
writes

Stuart Noble wrote:
Render the blocks and stamp on the brick pattern before it goes off?
I've seen driveways done like this but I don't know how easy it would be
on a vertical surface

Render...and stamp the brick pattern?!
You mean using textured paint? I am not sure what you mean...

No, he means render - a layer of sand and cement spread across the wall
(like plaster indoors) the impress in some way (a stamp made of wood?)
the brick pattern, then paint I guess.

Personally I think you are wasting your time trying to make the concrete
blocks look like brick, they will just end up looking like concrete
blocks trying to look (badly) like bricks. If you don't want to use
bricks then just use blocks, and then paint the block wall a suitable
colour (not brick colour, any colour that fits really)

But I think any attempt to make the concrete look like brick will take
more effort and time than doing it in brick properly in the first place

Personally I think if this is the back wall of the house it's big
mistake not to use brick. Besides spending who knows how many years
looking at the awful attempts you made to try and make them look like
brick ;-) if you ever come to sell the house it's gonna shout 'bodger'
alert to any potential buyer and then they start wondering where else
you might have been 'creative' in the house
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
In message . com,
writes

Stuart Noble wrote:
[...]

I think you're right. However bad your bricklaying, it's got to look
better than tarted up blocks.
I once tried to colour in some mortar where an old flue had been. No
problem getting the joints to look reasonably realistic but the brick
faces were truly awful. I even ground up some brick dust to get the
colour accurate, but matching texture is the difficult bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Youre never going to get blocks to look like bricks. Its easy enough to
cut straight lines with an angle grinder and make the wall look like a
wrongly bonded brick wall, and build with joints same thickness as
angle grinder blade, but youre then left with 2 problems.

1. texture
2 colour. Bricks are far from a uniform colour and youre not going to
be able to replicate them unless youre an artist with a whole lotta
time on your hands.

If you want brick, use brick. If you must use blocks to save £, you
could at least use decorative blocks. Making your own blocks opens a
wide range of decorative options up as well as saving some dough.

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...454ce4283b9aa7

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

I have seen brick paint before, and it always looks like bricks painted
red. If you want to achieve the effect of real bricks that will be
exceptionally difficult, and probably not very durable. However, if you
simply have to do this then I suggest:

(1) Rendering the wall then removing render in a brick-pointing fashion
before it has achieved any real strength. You will need to develop a
technique to do this ( or you could add render in a bid to build up
brick-like projections ).

(2) Break up a variety of different coloured bricks ( for texture -
variations in colour look better than identically-coloured bricks ) and
sieve it to get sand sized particles or smaller. Also buy in some
red/golden/white sand. Make up a batch of cement made using the coloured
sand to get a good base colour(s) and then adding the crushed brick for
authenticity.

(3) Mask off the supposed areas of mortar pointing and 80% of the "bricks"
in a random pattern and spray on a batch of one particular shade of crushed
brick/coloured sand/cement binder with a Tyrolean machine. As you finish
each brick ( i.e. before the moisture disappears from its surface, so I'm
talking seconds ), lightly dash it with some dry, mixed coloured sand for
extra texture ( optional ).

(4) Repeat process the next day on another 20% of randomly chosen bricks,
having masked off the other 80%, using slightly different colour crushed
brick etc from previous batch. Remember that "random" does not mean
all-equispaced from each other, that'd look contrived.

(5) Eventually you will have a wall apparently composed of five slightly
varying shades of brick, with extra variability added by how the
"sand-dashing" process worked on each 'brick'.

FWIW I would also remember that dead smooth and perfect bricks look boring,
and the really interesting handmade types tend to be somewhat irregular in
profile, but quite frankly you'll have your work cut out achieving a
half-decent result at all: I have some experience in trying to match colours
and textures in pebbledash etc, and it really does cut your work out to get
a good match.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy wrote:

FWIW I would also remember that dead smooth and perfect bricks look boring,
and the really interesting handmade types tend to be somewhat irregular in
profile, but quite frankly you'll have your work cut out achieving a
half-decent result at all: I have some experience in trying to match colours
and textures in pebbledash etc, and it really does cut your work out to get
a good match.

Real bricks, and boring fake bricks that I have drawn:
http://i3.tinypic.com/27y33g1.jpg (81K)

It would certainly look better with random changes of colour.
May I suggest growing a creeper over much of the wall if it's fake.