Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Do they make 6 inch concrete blocks?

On Feb 17, 8:24*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:39:05 -0800 (PST), Evan

wrote:
Ah, yeah... *Why is your "deck" not properly secured to the ground ?

If it is resting on blocks then I can imagine several scenarios where
it could "move" or "tip" on its own... *Sounds very unsafe...

WOW, a 24" fall. *Damnit, I could be killed lol
I better spend $47,569.99 to rebuild it so it cant fall off the 3
stacked blocks which cant move anyhow, and the bottom block is halfway
in the ground, with cement pad under that. *Oddly enough, my whole
traielr house sets on stacked concrete blocks, which is how they are
installed by the pros.

At least I'm not like my neighbor who had a bad floor in his trailer
and both he and his wife are very large. *While having sex, their bed
went thru the floor..... Two legs on the headboard end went right down
thru the floor. *Then the bed boards came detached from the headboard.
Now that's something to FEAR !!!!! *When he called me to come and help
him fix the floor, and said his bed went thru the floor, I cracked up
laughing..... *He didnt think it was so funny !!!

Wow, a 24" fall... Right, so the people who might be standing near
the
deck within the area it could fall down won't be in any way injured or
hurt by the thousand some odd pounds of lumber pinning them to the
ground or taking their feet off if it fell...

Oddly enough, your trailer house is considered a VEHICLE... So
jacking
it up on blocks is ok, as it is designed for that purpose, the blocks
are
there to provide a base for the levelers, your trailer is anchored
down
to the ground by other means rather than being bolted to structure
supported by footings like other types of buildings are...

Your wooden "raft" laid on blocks at your door however is not, and if
you
want to call it a "deck" it needs to be bolted down to properly
constructed
structure so that if an accident happened a thousand or so pounds of
lumber won't be able to move freely on its own...

You know, like too many people sitting on the edge of the deck, as you
said its only 24" up its likely it doesn't have a railing... Or
someone
hitting it with a car, lawn mower/tractor, go cart, dirt bike or
something...
There is a reason why decks are supposed to be bolted down to proper
footings... That is so that it won't move as an entire unit if a
small
accident happens and disturbs the status quo...

Hope you fix your "deck" properly so you don't end up getting sued
if an accident happens...

~~ Evan