Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Do they make 6 inch concrete blocks?

On Feb 17, 12:34*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
" wrote:

-snip-

I want a cite that decks dont need to be attached to the building.....

am I reading this correctly;
p1- #5
"Decks off cantilevered houses require deck joists to either be run to
the bearing wall or be supported independently"http://www.niskayuna.org/Public_Documents/NiskayunaNY_Building/Deck.pdf

Sounds to me like a deck can be independently supported.

Jim

ROFL... Being "held up off the ground on loosely stacked CMUs
is not STRUCTURALLY SUPPORTED... Even if you grout the CMUs
solid, they are not tied down to footings and bolted with the proper
hangers, to keep the entire structure from shifting... Relying on
the mass of the deck to hold it down IS *NEVER* proper, and it is
not "independent support"...

Sounds like you are just playing semantics with the words and
totally not understanding the defined concepts in the standard
building code which still applies above and beyond whatever
specific interpretations and additional protections the local
AHJ adds to it...

~~ Evan