Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make 6 inch concrete blocks?

I have a small deck built in stacked 8 inch concrete blocks. I first
put in concrete pads in the ground, then stacked three 8 inch concrete
blocks on top and built the deck on them. This deck was fine in the
summer, but when winter came, I found it was too close to the bottom
of the storm door on the house. Just the smallest amount of ice on
the deck and we cant open the storm door. As soon as the ice and snow
is gone, I want to lower the deck about 2 inches. I can easily lift
it with a jack. My idea is to remove the top 8 inch block and replace
it with a 6 inch one in all four corners. But, do they make 6 inch
blocks? I know 8" is the most common, and they make 4" ones. But I
never seens 6" ones. I suppose if nothing else I can make some solid
ones with a wooden form and some Redi-Mix.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 3:35*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 2/15/2011 4:08 AM, wrote:

I have a small deck built in stacked 8 inch concrete blocks. *I first
put in concrete pads in the ground, then stacked three 8 inch concrete
blocks on top and built the deck on them. *This deck was fine in the
summer, but when winter came, I found it was too close to the bottom
of the storm door on the house. *Just the smallest amount of ice on
the deck and we cant open the storm door. *As soon as the ice and snow
is gone, I want to lower the deck about 2 inches. *I can easily lift
it with a jack. My idea is to remove the top 8 inch block and replace
it with a 6 inch one in all four corners. *But, do they make 6 inch
blocks? * I know 8" is the most common, and they make 4" ones. *But I
never seens 6" ones. *I suppose if nothing else I can make some solid
ones with a wooden form and some Redi-Mix.

Thanks

It might be easier to install a strip of electric heat tape to melt the
ice around the door threshold. Perhaps there is enough room under the
threshold to install some heat tape?

TDD

Nobody is paying attention to what seems (to this non-techie) a simple
solution. You all got off on rebuilding the deck according to code.
AFAK, the guy is only trying to get his ****ing door open in winter.
What am I missing?

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2011 12:26 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Feb 15, 3:35 am, The Daring
wrote:
On 2/15/2011 4:08 AM, wrote:

[...]

That's why I suggested heat tape. With the deck closer to the indoor
floor level, there is less chance of someone tripping and falling
when going through the door. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 2/15/2011 4:08 AM, wrote:

[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Go outside and look at the difference between your front porch or
steps and the door transom. It's often several inches. People deal
with it. They don't even know they are dealing with it, it's just
instinctive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2011 6:56 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

wrote:
On 2/15/2011 4:08 AM, wrote:

[...]

In the case of a deck, things might be different because many people
use their back deck for entertainment, outdoor cooking, etc and the
deck is often pretty much level with the door which is often a
kitchen door. My front door has a drop of 6" to the top step of 7.
My back deck/porch is level with the interior floor on the other
side of the sliding glass door. I'm glad because there is less chance
of me tripping when I carry a big pan of pieces of lifeless animal
carcasses to the grill. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/15/2011 4:08 AM, wrote:

[...]

HB- Hide quoted text -

it sounds like the deck isnt attached to the building, and thats a
safety hazard. 3 8 inch blocks is high enough for someone to get hurt
if the deck comes off the blocks.

and at home resale time a home inspector will make it into the end of
the world.... but it might just end the sale

If he rebuilds the deck now or has it rebuilt to code, he can do the
work himself or a handyman can.

push this off to home resale time, and buyer will demand registered
everything
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/15/2011 4:08 AM, wrote:

[...]

everything- Hide quoted text -

Decks are not required to be attached to the house. Some people
prefer to build them that way as it avoids opening the house siding to
attach the deck frame. Again you don't know what you are talking
about.

Even if he lives in a location that requires tie downs he can simply
get some tie downs and add them to comply with local code. Without
changing his deck at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/15/2011 4:08 AM, wrote:

[...]

changing his deck at all.- Hide quoted text -

I want a cite that decks dont need to be attached to the building.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/15/2011 4:08 AM, wrote:

[...]

Yep. 23 posts and I am the only one who even answered his question.
From Post 2 on it is all criticism of how he "screwed up".

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Harry K wrote:

Yep. 23 posts and I am the only one who even answered his question.
From Post 2 on it is all criticism of how he "screwed up".

Harry K

What was that line from Bugsy? Oh yeah: You can suck your gold star
right out of my dick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 7:30*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
*Harry K wrote:

Yep. *23 posts and I am the only one who even answered his question.
From Post 2 on it is all criticism of how he "screwed up".

Harry K

What was that line from Bugsy? Oh yeah: You can suck your gold star
right out of my dick.

Facts really suck for you don't they?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 5:08*am, wrote:
I have a small deck built in stacked 8 inch concrete blocks. *I first
put in concrete pads in the ground, then stacked three 8 inch concrete
blocks on top and built the deck on them. *This deck was fine in the
summer, but when winter came, I found it was too close to the bottom
of the storm door on the house. *Just the smallest amount of ice on
the deck and we cant open the storm door. *As soon as the ice and snow
is gone, I want to lower the deck about 2 inches. *I can easily lift
it with a jack. My idea is to remove the top 8 inch block and replace
it with a 6 inch one in all four corners. *But, do they make 6 inch
blocks? * I know 8" is the most common, and they make 4" ones. *But I
never seens 6" ones. *I suppose if nothing else I can make some solid
ones with a wooden form and some Redi-Mix.

Thanks

obviously you didnt get a permit or inspection.

deck should be on footers so it wouldnt move in freezing weather, and
firmly affixed bolted to house
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 8:39*am, " wrote:
On Feb 15, 5:08*am, wrote:

[...]

That was a couple stupid answers.

No they don't. Renmove the 8" block and replace it with a 4" one plus
some PT lumber laid flat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 2:08*am, wrote:
I have a small deck built in stacked 8 inch concrete blocks. *I first
put in concrete pads in the ground, then stacked three 8 inch concrete
blocks on top and built the deck on them. *This deck was fine in the
summer, but when winter came, I found it was too close to the bottom
of the storm door on the house. *Just the smallest amount of ice on
the deck and we cant open the storm door. *As soon as the ice and snow
is gone, I want to lower the deck about 2 inches. *I can easily lift
it with a jack. My idea is to remove the top 8 inch block and replace
it with a 6 inch one in all four corners. *But, do they make 6 inch
blocks? * I know 8" is the most common, and they make 4" ones. *But I
never seens 6" ones. *I suppose if nothing else I can make some solid
ones with a wooden form and some Redi-Mix.

Thanks

Since no one else answered the question...

Yes, they build 6" block - should be available at any place sellign
block but you may have to special order. I got mine from a 'block'
place that sold nothing but concrete products. If you are going to
lay them flat, they should be a coreless ones - those I don't know if
they make.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 5:08*am, wrote:
I have a small deck built in stacked 8 inch concrete blocks. *I first
put in concrete pads in the ground, then stacked three 8 inch concrete
blocks on top and built the deck on them. *This deck was fine in the
summer, but when winter came, I found it was too close to the bottom
of the storm door on the house. *Just the smallest amount of ice on
the deck and we cant open the storm door. *As soon as the ice and snow
is gone, I want to lower the deck about 2 inches. *I can easily lift
it with a jack. My idea is to remove the top 8 inch block and replace
it with a 6 inch one in all four corners. *But, do they make 6 inch
blocks? * I know 8" is the most common, and they make 4" ones. *But I
never seens 6" ones. *I suppose if nothing else I can make some solid
ones with a wooden form and some Redi-Mix.

Thanks

Ah, yeah... Why is your "deck" not properly secured to the ground ?

If it is resting on blocks then I can imagine several scenarios where
it could "move" or "tip" on its own... Sounds very unsafe...

You should properly build your deck including securing it to posts
which are firmly attached to the concrete pads (are these footings
or just surface pads) for support and make sure since you are in a
wintery area that the deck supports go down into the ground at
least four feet to prevent heaving due to the ground freezing...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 1:39*pm, Evan wrote:
On Feb 15, 5:08*am, wrote:

[...]

which echos my comment about lack of permit or inspections.

people have been hurt and even died when decks collapse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 3:33*pm, " wrote:
On Feb 15, 1:39*pm, Evan wrote:

On Feb 15, 5:08*am, wrote:

[...]

people have been hurt and even died when decks collapse.- Hide quoted text -

He's got a small deck that's not even 3 feet off the ground. His
problem isn't frost heave, it's the buildup of snow and ice on top of
the deck in front of the door. Get a grip.
Posted to alt.home.repair

He's got a small deck that's not even 3 feet off the ground. *His
problem isn't frost heave, it's the buildup of snow and ice on top of
the deck in front of the door. *Get a grip.-

or tear the deck apart and rebuild it properly

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 5:08*am, wrote:
I have a small deck built in stacked 8 inch concrete blocks. *I first
put in concrete pads in the ground, then stacked three 8 inch concrete
blocks on top and built the deck on them. *This deck was fine in the
summer, but when winter came, I found it was too close to the bottom
of the storm door on the house. *Just the smallest amount of ice on
the deck and we cant open the storm door. *As soon as the ice and snow
is gone, I want to lower the deck about 2 inches. *I can easily lift
it with a jack. My idea is to remove the top 8 inch block and replace
it with a 6 inch one in all four corners. *But, do they make 6 inch
blocks? * I know 8" is the most common, and they make 4" ones. *But I
never seens 6" ones. *I suppose if nothing else I can make some solid
ones with a wooden form and some Redi-Mix.

Thanks

The ground may shift every year. Use a four inch block and paver
blocks and a few cedar roofing shims. Or PT like someone else
suggested. Adjust it seasonally
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 16:29:04 -0800 (PST), Colonel Polyps
wrote:

The ground may shift every year. Use a four inch block and paver
blocks and a few cedar roofing shims. Or PT like someone else
suggested. Adjust it seasonally

Adjusting shims seasonally sounds like ****wittedness to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
wrote:

The ground may shift every year. Use a four inch block and paver
blocks and a few cedar roofing shims. Or PT like someone else
suggested. Adjust it seasonally

Adjusting shims seasonally sounds like ****wittedness to me.

Damn, you got to use the word. Good on ya!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

?
wrote:

The ground may shift every year. Use a four inch block and paver
blocks and a few cedar roofing shims. Or PT like someone else
suggested. Adjust it seasonally

Adjusting shims seasonally sounds like ****wittedness to me.

Damn, you got to use the word. Good on ya!

Right. But I think the OP should put the deck on hydraulics, like a low
rider. Make himself a dancing deck. Jacking up one edge would make
hosing it off easier. Playing "ship deck" with drunken guests would be a
blast. Transition to the house would be fully ADA compliant.