Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Much Rock Salt to Kill Roots?

Since I didn't get an answer to this question in my thread about salt
damaging my shower base, I'll try my question here.

What is the prescribed dosage of rock salt to control roots in a
drain?

Some folks in this group have said they dissolve 25#, but they don't
say how often.

One site, supposedly quoting a Mr. Rooter contractor, had this:

"Periodic (every 5-6 months) treatment with 1 cup of rock salt poured
into the clean-out, followed by running roughly 1 gallon of water
through the system and then allowing it all to "soak" overnight"

eHow says: "Rock salt will kill any plant or root it touches. Flushing
it into the sewer system several times daily should penetrate and kill
the roots."

Other sites simply say "use rock salt to kill roots in drains" or some
variation on that theme.

Nobody seems to have a consistant answer as to a specific amount and
how often - except for Mr. Rooter - but that suggestion is so far off
from the "25#" suggestion that one or the other doesn't seem valid.

Does anyone have a source for a firm answer? I don't mind using too
much salt, but I'd really like to know *how often* I should be
treating my drains.

I usually have to snake my drain once every couple of years but I'd
rather do preventative maintenance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2011 12:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I would guess no two systems are the same. What kind of trees? Salt
can kill oaks and some others. 25# sounds like a hell of a lot. I
think I'd spread it out over a years time every 2 or 3 weeks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
eHow says: [snip]

ehow is a bull**** site filled with "knowledge" from idiots who get conned
into their ad revenue scheme.

Please don't link to ehow, it's the bottom of the barrel of internet
stupidity.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 1:14*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
*eHow says: [snip]

ehow is a bull**** site filled with "knowledge" from idiots who get conned
into their ad revenue scheme.

Please don't link to ehow, it's the bottom of the barrel of internet
stupidity.

Jon

I agree...and I didn't link, I just quoted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

I have no experience with this. I would suspect that repeated dosages at
regular intervals would have a more lasting impact. That is common sense at
work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 6:43*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
[...]

umm...yeah.

Except that counts as simply another opinion with no solid
information. ;-)

What size dosage? A cup? A pound? 25 pounds?

What's a "regular interval"? Every week? Every month? Every quarter?

Right there I've got 9 possible sets of "repeated dosages at regular
intervals", but still no clue as to what is the optimum.

With all the "science" I've seen posted in this ng across a variety of
topics, I'm surprised no one knows the correct amount and time frame.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:03:00 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

What size dosage? A cup? A pound? 25 pounds?

What's a "regular interval"? Every week? Every month? Every quarter?

Right there I've got 9 possible sets of "repeated dosages at regular
intervals", but still no clue as to what is the optimum.

With all the "science" I've seen posted in this ng across a variety of
topics, I'm surprised no one knows the correct amount and time frame.

Probably because nobody here has used rock salt to kill roots.
When I had a sewer root problem I bought a root killer for that, can't
remember which one.
But there were instructions on the box (or bottle).

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What size dosage? A cup? A pound? 25 pounds?

What's a "regular interval"? Every week? Every month? Every quarter?

Right there I've got 9 possible sets of "repeated dosages at regular
intervals", but still no clue as to what is the optimum.

With all the "science" I've seen posted in this ng across a variety of
topics, I'm surprised no one knows the correct amount and time frame.

Probably because nobody here has used rock salt to kill roots.
When I had a sewer root problem I bought a root killer for that, can't
remember which one.
But there were instructions on the box (or bottle).

--Vic

"Probably because nobody here has used rock salt to kill roots."

Not true. It's been mentioned numerous times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What size dosage? A cup? A pound? 25 pounds?

What's a "regular interval"? Every week? Every month? Every quarter?

Right there I've got 9 possible sets of "repeated dosages at regular
intervals", but still no clue as to what is the optimum.

With all the "science" I've seen posted in this ng across a variety of
topics, I'm surprised no one knows the correct amount and time frame.

Probably because nobody here has used rock salt to kill roots.
When I had a sewer root problem I bought a root killer for that, can't
remember which one.
But there were instructions on the box (or bottle).

--Vic

root killer I have used with success
Roebic Root Killer K-77
they also make
Roebic FRK-12 Foaming-Killer-Concentrate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:43:56 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote Re How Much Rock Salt to
Kill Roots?:

What is the prescribed dosage of rock salt to control roots in a
drain?

I don't know what a "prescribed" dosage would be, but I myself pour
about 30 gallons of a saturated water salt solution into my leach
field (down line from the septic tank) once a year. I came up with
this amount from doing research on various sources.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 8:34*am, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:43:56 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote Re How Much Rock Salt to
Kill Roots?:

What is the prescribed dosage of rock salt to control roots in a
drain?

I don't know what a "prescribed" dosage would be, but I myself pour
about 30 gallons of a saturated water salt solution into my leach
field (down line from the septic tank) once a year. *I came up with
this amount from doing research on various sources.

Ok, we're part way there.

How much salt does it take to "saturate" 30 gallons of water?

Can you cite some of those sources so I can do a little reading?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:

How much salt does it take to "saturate" 30 gallons of water?

Can you cite some of those sources so I can do a little reading?

Can't you type "salt solubility table" into Google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 6:52*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 1, 8:34*am, Caesar Romano wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:43:56 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote Re How Much Rock Salt to
Kill Roots?:

What is the prescribed dosage of rock salt to control roots in a
drain?

I don't know what a "prescribed" dosage would be, but I myself pour
about 30 gallons of a saturated water salt solution into my leach
field (down line from the septic tank) once a year. *I came up with
this amount from doing research on various sources.

Ok, we're part way there.

How much salt does it take to "saturate" 30 gallons of water?

How much salt does it take to "saturate" 30 gallons of water?

What is the temperature of the water?

Poster's treatment of a leach field is somewhat different than a
treatment of a drain line leaving the house to sewer or
septic.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 09:05:08 -0600, dpb wrote Re

DerbyDad03 wrote:

How much salt does it take to "saturate" 30 gallons of water?

Can you cite some of those sources so I can do a little reading?

Can't you type "salt solubility table" into Google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table

I just take a 30 gallon tub set next to the access cover for the leach
field drain line. I fill the tub with water and throw 25 lbs of water
softener salt into the tub and leave it overnight. (I do this during
the summer). The next afternoon, the water is a saturated solution. I
then siphon the solution into the leach line.

Some salt is left at the bottom of the tub, but I just find another
use for it or throw it away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

The "cites" requested were not related to the solubility properties of
salt, but rather a request for the sources that helped Mr. Romano

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 12:08*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

My father in law used to do it. He used water softener salt. Dont
think he measured anything just kept dumping in the salt into 5 gal
buckets of water until he couldn't get anymore to dissolve. It was the
80s the last time I saw him do it. My guess is he used about 6 buckets
more or less 1 or 2. Sorry I cant be more accurate than this, BTW his
house had 2 drainage systems one for black water and the other for
gray water. He quit using the salt when he started using the gray
water on his garden abt 1990.... he had been doing this since abt 1974
when the house was built. He was also on a septic tank and I think
this killed any biological action in the tank. Probably why he had to
get it pumped yearly.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 10:17:31 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

On Feb 1, 10:05*am, dpb wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

How much salt does it take to "saturate" 30 gallons of water?

Can you cite some of those sources so I can do a little reading?

Can't you type "salt solubility table" into Google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table

--

The "cites" requested were not related to the solubility properties of
salt, but rather a request for the sources that helped Mr. Romano
determine that "30 gallons once a year" was the proper dosage for his
leach field.

Sorry, but I don't recall and didn't save the cites. I just Google
searched for something like: rock salt kill roots
and got a bunch of citations. I read a bunch of them and decided that
if I could get a saturated solution into the wetted parts of the leach
field, that should do the trick. So far so good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 10:05 am, dpb wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

How much salt does it take to "saturate" 30 gallons of water?

Can you cite some of those sources so I can do a little reading?

Can't you type "salt solubility table" into Google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table

--

The "cites" requested were not related to the solubility properties of
salt, but rather a request for the sources that helped Mr. Romano
determine that "30 gallons once a year" was the proper dosage for his
leach field.

Sorry, but I don't recall and didn't save the cites. *I just Google
searched for something like: * rock salt kill roots
and got a bunch of citations. *I read a bunch of them and decided that
if I could get a saturated solution into the wetted parts of the leach
field, that should do the trick. *So far so good.
--
Work is the curse of the drinking class.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks.

Your searches were similar to the ones I've been doing and there
appears to be no "set dosage" .

It's not really a big deal, just more of a "comfort" knowing that I'm
not "over killing" (i.e. wasting my time and money) or worse yet
"under killing" (i.e. not killing as many roots as I could be).

I guess I'll "go big" to be on the safe side.

Thanks again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I have been rock salting my bad sewer line for over 15 years.and
appear to have originated the idea here

I put 25 pounds of rock salt in my single washtub in basement and add
very hot water and stir....till salt is at least half gone.

then go out for day so salt sits in sewer line.

next day i add more water or let the washing machine water that drains
into the washtub dissolve the remaining salt. it goes away eventually.

early spring before trees leaf out is most important time to do this,
roots are very busy in early spring . but i do it a few times a year
just to be on safe side.

I kinda know when the roots are starting to block the line. the
basement gets a odor and the floor drain water level bounces when
water is dumped into the wash tub.

If I immediately do the salt thing by the next day the roots must die,
and the blockage is gone.

so if you get a root back up you can try salt since you have nothing
to loose

Mt Rooter probably says salt constantly in the hopes they get the
pricey $$ job replacing the entire line, since a lot of people wouldnt
want to be salting constantly.

I am on a city sewer, salt might not be good for a septric tanks
biological action......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 2:30*pm, " wrote:
[...]

biological action......- Hide quoted text -

Thanks...I will use your method a few times a year.

No septic to be concerned with.

I know when the blockage is starting because the basement toilet
gurgles and bubbles when an upstairs toilet is flushed. As it gets
progressively worse, you don't want to be sitting on the basement
toilet when an upstairs toilet is flushed!

I know it's really bad (and time to snake ASAP) when even taking a
shower causes the basement toilet to boil.

You sir, are the salt of the earth! ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 3:12*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 1, 2:30*pm, " wrote:

[...]

You sir, are the salt of the earth! *;-)- Hide quoted text -

i havent had the line snaked in at least 10 years, since the salt
works so well.

you want to avoid snaking since theres always a chance the snake can
jam and break off in the line.

at that point its call the backhoe.

my line is bad from under the home about 4 foot down, to the street
at over 8 feet deep. it runs under basement and garage floor, under
part of my driveway, under a large retaining wall and sidewalk.

worse my basement and garage are packed with stuff for my business
including industrilal steel shelves.

it will be a PIA to replace
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 6:43 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
[...]

------------reply-----------------

My understanding is that maximum root growth occurs in the fall and winter.
Now would be the time to be treating. Rock salt is cheap. Dissolve as much
as possible in a gallon of hot water. I suspect a pond or two is about all
that will dissolve.

Copper sulfate, if you can find it is a far more effective choice and the
directions are the label. Heck you might even get some regularity
information from that.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 12:12:14 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Thanks...I will use your method a few times a year.

No septic to be concerned with.

I know when the blockage is starting because the basement toilet
gurgles and bubbles when an upstairs toilet is flushed. As it gets
progressively worse, you don't want to be sitting on the basement
toilet when an upstairs toilet is flushed!

I know it's really bad (and time to snake ASAP) when even taking a
shower causes the basement toilet to boil.

You sir, are the salt of the earth! ;-)

Let us know how that salt works out.
And your recipe.
I don't have a root problem now as far as I know, but I think about it
since I had roots in sewer line of my last house.
Think about it enough that I had a big maple near my sewer line cut
down. Don't miss the tree, as it was dumping bushels of leaves into
my gutters too. Got plenty of trees elsewhere.
Be nice to get before and after camera recordings of the roots, but
they're about $300 a pop.
Guess you'll find out how it works from the gurglings.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I hope you're in no hurry!

This is one of those "fixes" where you never really know if it works
until it doesn't - unless I do the camera thing.

It'll be at least a year until I can assume it worked since that the
*minimum* time it's taken for a problem to surface. Sometimes I've
gone as long as 2 - 3 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 6:43 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

[...]

A pond? I have fill a whole pond with salt?

I don't even have a pond! Darn, now I'm gonna need a backhoe.

----------------reply---------------

POUND. Damn spell checkers anyway.

I saw you got another reply for a bigger batch. I don't think you can hurt
anything. Dissolve a much as you can, but now is the major time to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Have you ever considered COPPER SULFATE?
And March and April are the best months to use it.

Look it up youself, see if I'm telling you the truth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
(snip)
I usually have to snake my drain once every couple of
years but I'd rather do preventative maintenance.

Me too. I switched from (very expensive) copper sulfate to
rock salt last fall. I flush 2-3 cups down the toilet before
bed ... every 3 weeks or so. Too soon to judge the results.

I flush immediately upon pouring the salt into the toilet
bowl: hoping that the root mass will act as a strainer and
trap the crystals where they will do the most good. I'm
going to switch to (water softener) salt nuggets. Same
drill; flush and hope they will get caught in the root mass
and slowly dissolve there to lengthen exposure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DerbyDad03, DT wrote:
A septic contractor just put in an new leach field for my son. The contractor
recommended #5 pounds of rock salt once a year. This is one bathroom house.
You can do the math is you have a larger leach field. I'm sure, how much
vegetation you have in your area is a factor. Someone had mentioned to you,
that each system has different factors.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ts-618397-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What size dosage? A cup? A pound? 25 pounds?

What's a "regular interval"? Every week? Every month? Every quarter?

Right there I've got 9 possible sets of "repeated dosages at regular
intervals", but still no clue as to what is the optimum.

With all the "science" I've seen posted in this ng across a variety of
topics, I'm surprised no one knows the correct amount and time frame.

Probably because nobody here has used rock salt to kill roots.
When I had a sewer root problem I bought a root killer for that, can't
remember which one.
But there were instructions on the box (or bottle).

--Vic

I have been using rock salt to kill tree roots for at least 20 years. i do the 25 pounds split over a few days in the early spring when trees are about to bud out. works great, cant kill trees. killing a tree with root killer can cost thousands to remove a mature dying tree

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

As long as we've revived my very old thread, thanks to HOH, I'll tell you
of my root experience since then:

Rock salt did nothing to help. I eventually had the drain scoped and
determined that the roots were entering the clay pipe from the *top*
They would hang down and catch toilet paper, eventually causing a
blockage.

Rock salt laden water flows along the bottom of the pipe and doesn't make
enough contact with the roots to do much damage to them.

Since that time I have been using 2 pounds of RootX in the early spring.
RootX foams and fills the pipe, coating the roots that hang from the top.
I haven't had a blockage in the 5 years since I switched to this process.

http://rootx.com/homeowners

Does RootX Harm Trees And Plants?

No. RootX only kills the roots inside the pipe and prevents their re-growth..
Since the RootX foam only flows through the pipe, it has no effect on roots
outside the pipe.