Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I kill Birds of Paradise roots?

I cut them to the ground, put RoundUp on them, and they still grow back! How
do I kill these darn things? Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i don't know but i searched and found your eradication of strelitzia:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ia&btnG=Google
be careful, also see:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?
pagename=pro_apcc_toxic_birdofparadise/
"Dogs like to eat these plants, but the seeds, if eaten, are toxic,
and can cause abdominal pain and vomiting."
and more plant description at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strelitzia
you might also phone your local university agricultural extension
service.

On Jan 28, 5:46 pm, Scott Simpson wrote:
I cut them to the ground, put RoundUp on them, and they still grow back! How
do I kill these darn things? Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 28, 4:46 pm, Scott Simpson wrote:
I cut them to the ground, put RoundUp on them, and they still grow back! How
do I kill these darn things? Thank you.

Roundup is a selective herbicide and doesn't kill everything. Try a
weed killer containing 2-4-D full strength from the bottle on those
cut back stubs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 3:09 pm, "Red" wrote:
On Jan 28, 4:46 pm, Scott Simpson wrote:

I cut them to the ground, put RoundUp on them, and they still grow back! How
do I kill these darn things? Thank you.Roundup is a selective herbicide and doesn't kill everything. Try a

weed killer containing 2-4-D full strength from the bottle on those
cut back stubs.

2-4-D will kill top growth. Doesn't do much for killing roots except
if you keep reapplying it will eventually starve the roots - read
_after several years_.

I am unfamiliar with birds of paradise but if round-up takes a 10 or
so days to kill the top growth then it is also killing the roots. May
require reapplication over several years to get all of them though.

I have been spraying morning glory in the lawn for 20 years with 2-4-
D and it still occasionally shows up. The real killing success I have
had is with roundup. Trouble there is that it also kills the grass
arund the morning glory.

Same with Canadian Thistle.
Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 28, 5:09 pm, "Red" wrote:
On Jan 28, 4:46 pm, Scott Simpson wrote:

I cut them to the ground, put RoundUp on them, and they still grow back! How
do I kill these darn things? Thank you.Roundup is a selective herbicide and doesn't kill everything. Try a

weed killer containing 2-4-D full strength from the bottle on those
cut back stubs.

Actually, it's the other way 'round -- glyphosate (Roundup, et al.) is
a non-selective, systemic herbicide whereas 2,4-D is a broadleaf-
specific selective herbicide. While there are a few plants that are
glyphosate-resistant and some ag crops have been developed
specifically ("Roundup-ready" is Monsanto trade name for cultivated
crops that have been bred for over-the-top application), in general it
will kill or severely damage almost all common decorative plants/
grasses.

Don't have specific data for susceptibility of Bird of Paradise to
either, but time of year and strength of application and form of
application are all potentially quite significant to success. I'd
venture better luck in application on plant before severely pruning it
back for better absorption/takeup, as that's the mechanism to get the
herbicide introduced into the plant. However, as Roundup is non-
selective and will damage if not kill virtually everything it comes in
contact with, be extremely careful in application around anything of
value such as shrubs, trees, valuable perennials, etc.

A good overview on usage is at http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/
hil-648.html

A look at the Roundup application label didn't find it listed but that
could possibly be a case of such a small usage.

The suggestion to contact local Extension Service is a good one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 11:57 am, "dpb" wrote:
On Jan 28, 5:09 pm, "Red" wrote:

[...]

What concentration of Roundup was used and how was it applied? Before
cutting or after? It's absorbed through the leaves, so it should be
applied to the full plant and left there for a couple days. They do
specify less time, but longer is more certain. It takes a
concentration of 6% or so to kill tough plants, but I've yet to
encounter a plant around the house that it won't kill. I've used it
at 6% on poison ivy with good success. And interesting thing, as
someon previously pointed out, Monsanto has genetically modified
soybeans, cotton, etc so that they are Roundup tolerant, at least to
low to mod levels.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 29, 11:27 am, wrote:
On Jan 29, 11:57 am, "dpb" wrote:
On Jan 28, 5:09 pm, "Red" wrote:

[...]

That "someone" would have been me....

Appears he (OP) cut it to the ground first and tried to paint the
remaining -- as you say, not the most effective application in all
likelihood.

Monsanto has reformulated Roundup relatively recently to improve
takeup and shorten "rainfree" time -- now it's 1-1/2 hr as opposed to
the previous 6 hr. Once past that point in time, there's no turning
back and neither rain nor snow nor... will have any discernible
effect on it. Of course, even a few minutes w/ susceptible plants can
be fatal under the right conditions. It appears that the new
formulation is especially detrimental to conifers where before there
were some applicators for grass or weed control in nursery/golf that
weren't having to be particularly concerned about overspray are now
finding them extremely susceptible.

As a side note, there are other seed suppliers as well as Monsanto w/
glyphosate-resistant crops, but "Roundup Ready" is a Monsanto TM which
they protect vigorously. The patent having expired, there are now a
multitude of generic suppliers although mostly they're seen at the
wholesale/bulk level for ag use, not homeowner. And, they are indeed
resistant to recommended useage levels that are effective for weed
control -- up to roughly 2% which is about the upper limit for
virtually all spray applications per label directions. Higher
concentrations may be needed for wiper or paint-on application and are
suitable for small-scale applications such as one would presume OP has
rather than for widescale ag use.

OP might look into some of the other herbicides as well such as Dow's
Remedy or DuPont's Cimarron -- both are suitable for woody perennials
although my experience with them is for range/pasture application.
Whether they're available except by permit where OP is, I don't know
either -- being in ag production, have applicator status so don't have
to worry from that standpoint.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

"Scott Simpson" wrote in message
I cut them to the ground, put RoundUp on them, and they still grow back!
How
do I kill these darn things? Thank you.

Looks like you made the same mistake I did in removing some overly
aggressive Algerian Ivy. I cut it back as close to the ground as I could,
about six inches high. Then I sprayed the stumps with a mix of roundup and
the other common brush killer and repeated whenever new foliage appeared.
Coming into the third spring season, it looks like I have finally finished
if off. Now, if the roots will please decay so the stumps can be pulled.

Clearly, I should have sprayed the vines when in full foliage before cutting
them back. That should get a lot more of the herbicide down to the roots
than can be accomplished by treating the stumps.

You'll probably just have to stay after them till they're gone. Be sure to
use the high concentrations of herbicide others here in this thread have
mentioned.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair
al al is offline

On Jan 28, 5:46 pm, Scott Simpson wrote:
I cut them to the ground, put RoundUp on them, and they still grow back! How
do I kill these darn things? Thank you.

Round up should work. Try letting the plant grow a bit and wait for
leaves to appear then shoot it again. Round up works best on the green
parts of plants, so the more green you can cover the better. It may
take several attempts, just spray whenever you see leaves appear.
Plants won't survive without leaves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 5:46?pm, Scott Simpson wrote:
I cut them to the ground, put RoundUp on them, and they still grow back! How
do I kill these darn things? Thank you.

gasoline poured on them, it kills everything. when i was a kid it was
used to kill vegatation. topday the same use gets people freaking out.

but its effective, no smoking in area

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 4:38 pm, " wrote:
On Jan 28, 5:46?pm, Scott Simpson wrote:

I cut them to the ground, put RoundUp on them, and they still grow back! How
do I kill these darn things? Thank you.gasoline poured on them, it kills everything. when i was a kid it was

used to kill vegatation. topday the same use gets people freaking out.

Yeah, back then lots of people smoked cigarettes with abandon, worked
with asbestos fibers all over the place, drove cars that spewed out 20
times the pollution of todays cars and buried toxic waste in any old
hole. Doesn't mean any of that was smart or good for the
environment.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 29, 10:57 am, "dpb" wrote:
Roundup is a selective herbicide and doesn't kill everything. Try a
weed killer containing 2-4-D full strength from the bottle on those
cut back stubs.

Actually, it's the other way 'round -- glyphosate (Roundup, et al.) is
a non-selective, systemic herbicide whereas 2,4-D is a broadleaf-
specific selective herbicide.

Negative! Roundup is selective! Read the label and there are dozens
of plants that roundup has little-to-no effect on. I can verify that
by years of experience.

2,4-D is a broadleaf herbicide, but works very well on most woody
plants, especially if they are cut back and the herbicide is applied
full strength to the cambium layer of the plant. This takes the
herbicide directly to the root. It's the best product I've found to
prevent shoots from forming on cut stumps.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 29, 3:38 pm, " wrote:
gasoline poured on them, it kills everything. when i was a kid it was
used to kill vegatation. topday the same use gets people freaking out.

but its effective, no smoking in area

Agreed. Gasoline evaporates very fast and leaves no residual damage.
Leaking underground gas tanks were dug up, the soil spread out &
allowed to air dry for a few weeks, then declared safe for use.
Diesel and kerosene is a whole different problem however.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 5:46 pm, Scott Simpson wrote:
I cut them to the ground, put RoundUp on them, and they still grow back! How
do I kill these darn things? Thank you.

Get a shovel and dig them up. I'm not familiar with Bird of Paradise,
but when I want something gone I dig it up. Many plants are hard to
kill. Some of them will send out runners and shoots when you whack
them to the ground making it even harder to kill the plant. Dig them
up and throw them away or give them to somebody who wants them.

-Felder

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 29, 5:19 pm, "Red" wrote:
On Jan 29, 10:57 am, "dpb" wrote:

Roundup is a selective herbicide and doesn't kill everything. Try a
weed killer containing 2-4-D full strength from the bottle on those
cut back stubs.

Actually, it's the other way 'round -- glyphosate (Roundup, et al.) is
a non-selective, systemic herbicide whereas 2,4-D is a broadleaf-
specific selective herbicide.

Negative! Roundup is selective! Read the label ...

From Monsanto label (http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld6DP028.pdf)

"Selective broad-spectrum weed control in Roundup Ready crops. Non-
selective broad-spectrum weed control for many agricultural systems."

The non-selective part is only when used with Roundup Ready crops. As
noted, there are some which aren't particularly effective, but it is
definitely (other than as noted) a non-selective herbicide. I'm
presuming OP's Bird of Paradise isn't bred to be Roundup Ready.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 6:36 pm, "Red" wrote:
On Jan 29, 3:38 pm, " wrote:

gasoline poured on them, it kills everything. when i was a kid it was
used to kill vegatation. topday the same use gets people freaking out.

but its effective, no smoking in areaAgreed. Gasoline evaporates very fast and leaves no residual damage.

Leaking underground gas tanks were dug up, the soil spread out &
allowed to air dry for a few weeks, then declared safe for use.
Diesel and kerosene is a whole different problem however.

Yeah evaporating gasoline is of no consequence. It must have been
just a whim when all cars had to incur increased cost and complexity
for systems which now provide sealed gas tanks and canisters that trap
gasoline fume emissions. Same thing when gas stations were all
retrofited with new dispensing nozzles to trap fumes. But apparently
it's ok to go pouring gasoline around to kill plants that are easily
killed with products that are far safer for the environment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 8:43�pm, wrote:
On Jan 29, 6:36 pm, "Red" wrote:

On Jan 29, 3:38 pm, " wrote:

gasoline poured on them, it kills everything. when i was a kid it was
used to kill vegatation. topday the same use gets people freaking out.

but its effective, no smoking in areaAgreed. *Gasoline evaporates very fast and leaves no residual damage. *

Leaking underground gas tanks were dug up, the soil spread out &
allowed to air dry for a few weeks, then declared safe for use. *
Diesel and kerosene is a whole different problem however.Yeah evaporating gasoline is of no consequence. *It must have been

just a whim when all cars had to incur increased cost and complexity
for systems which now provide sealed gas tanks and canisters that trap
gasoline fume emissions. * Same thing when gas stations were all
retrofited with new dispensing nozzles to trap fumes. * But apparently
it's ok to go pouring gasoline around to kill plants that are easily
killed with products that are far safer for the environment.

well you really cant know for certain the long term effects of
herbicides.

i had a poision ivy problem, roundup didnt kill it.

a helpful person here suggested mixing it evenly with regular weed
killer.

the combo was deadly to my poision ivy

the thing about gasoline is, a one time dump to kill something isnt as
significant as millions of anything spewing fumes.

just look at how much must be released filling lawn mowers yearly

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 29, 8:36 pm, " wrote:
On Jan 29, 8:43?pm, wrote:

On Jan 29, 6:36 pm, "Red" wrote:

On Jan 29, 3:38 pm, " wrote:

gasoline poured on them, it kills everything. when i was a kid it was
used to kill vegatation. topday the same use gets people freaking out.

but its effective, no smoking in areaAgreed. ?Gasoline evaporates very fast and leaves no residual damage. ?
Leaking underground gas tanks were dug up, the soil spread out &
allowed to air dry for a few weeks, then declared safe for use. ?
Diesel and kerosene is a whole different problem however.Yeah evaporating gasoline is of no consequence. ?It must have been

just a whim when all cars had to incur increased cost and complexity
for systems which now provide sealed gas tanks and canisters that trap
gasoline fume emissions. ? Same thing when gas stations were all
retrofited with new dispensing nozzles to trap fumes. ? But apparently
it's ok to go pouring gasoline around to kill plants that are easily
killed with products that are far safer for the environment.well you really cant know for certain the long term effects of

herbicides.

i had a poision ivy problem, roundup didnt kill it.

a helpful person here suggested mixing it evenly with regular weed
killer.

the combo was deadly to my poision ivy

the thing about gasoline is, a one time dump to kill something isnt as
significant as millions of anything spewing fumes.

just look at how much must be released filling lawn mowers yearly

And tractors, motorcycles, ATV's, chainsaws, weedeaters, generators,
boat tanks, etc. etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 29, 7:23 pm, "dpb" wrote:

Negative! Roundup is selective! Read the label ...

The non-selective part is only when used with Roundup Ready crops. As
noted, there are some which aren't particularly effective, but it is
definitely (other than as noted) a non-selective herbicide. I'm
presuming OP's Bird of Paradise isn't bred to be Roundup Ready.

Again, no. Although the manufacturer states that it is "nonselective
for turf weeds and grasses", you have to look closer. The
manufacturer lists 37 weeds and grasses that glyphosate controls, yet
there are 172 known weeds in the US. (http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/
weedid/). This directly corresponds to my experience - it's good for
some but useless for others. You cannot take Monsanto's term
"nonselective" literally.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 29, 11:04 pm, "Red" wrote:
On Jan 29, 7:23 pm, "dpb" wrote:

Negative! Roundup is selective! Read the label ...

The non-selective part is only when used with Roundup Ready crops. As
noted, there are some which aren't particularly effective, but it is
definitely (other than as noted) a non-selective herbicide. I'm
presuming OP's Bird of Paradise isn't bred to be Roundup Ready.

Again, no. Although the manufacturer states that it is "nonselective
for turf weeds and grasses", you have to look closer. The
manufacturer lists 37 weeds and grasses that glyphosate controls, yet
there are 172 known weeds in the US. (http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/
weedid/). This directly corresponds to my experience - it's good for
some but useless for others. You cannot take Monsanto's term
"nonselective" literally.

Oh..., ok, I see. Monsanto doesn't label their own product correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jan 29, 7:20 pm, "Felder" wrote:
On Jan 28, 5:46 pm, Scott Simpson wrote:

I cut them to the ground, put RoundUp on them, and they still grow back! How
do I kill these darn things? Thank you.Get a shovel and dig them up. I'm not familiar with Bird of Paradise,

but when I want something gone I dig it up. Many plants are hard to
kill. Some of them will send out runners and shoots when you whack
them to the ground making it even harder to kill the plant. Dig them
up and throw them away or give them to somebody who wants them.

-Felder

Happened to my dad. He had a tree too near the house so he hired
somebody who cut it down, then ground out the stump. But did not kill
the tree anywhere in there; so ever since he's had shoots popping up
all over the lawn. I mean, all over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Scott Simpson, thomas Birkenstock wrote:
i use lb of salt a cup of dawn dish soap and a gallon of viniger
cut all flower and old stems and live ones out when u hve a pad of
bulblike roots too big to dig pour the
liquid over it once a month..........ROUNDUP is sososossoosossoso Tox ic
to enviorment,and people. i cant believe its still sold!.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-189362-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 19:44:06 GMT
thomas Birkenstock m

From: thomas Birkenstock
m Subject: How
do I kill Birds of Paradise roots? Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 19:44:06 GMT
Sender: thomas Birkenstock
m User-Agent:
Hermes v1.4 Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

Put them up your nose.
Posted to alt.home.repair
MKH MKH is offline

replying to Felder, MKH wrote:
I can't help but comment that you've not tried to dig up Bird of Paradise. It
is impossible, except perhaps with a backhoe!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-189362-.htm

Little birds Sterling Woodturning 3 December 28th 06 01:38 AM
OT - NRA would argue, "Government policies don't kill people, hurricanes kill people." Cliff Metalworking 155 September 21st 05 05:10 PM
Tree Roots Kill Man on Toilet dean Home Repair 10 September 11th 05 02:40 AM
how to kill tree roots near trench bill a Home Repair 17 April 12th 05 10:15 PM
Metalworker's paradise Charles Morrill Metalworking 1 July 20th 03 05:32 AM