Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I kill Birds of Paradise roots?

On Jan 29, 11:57 am, "dpb" wrote:
On Jan 28, 5:09 pm, "Red" wrote:

On Jan 28, 4:46 pm, Scott Simpson wrote:

I cut them to the ground, put RoundUp on them, and they still grow back! How
do I kill these darn things? Thank you.Roundup is a selective herbicide and doesn't kill everything. Try a

weed killer containing 2-4-D full strength from the bottle on those
cut back stubs.Actually, it's the other way 'round -- glyphosate (Roundup, et al.) is

a non-selective, systemic herbicide whereas 2,4-D is a broadleaf-
specific selective herbicide. While there are a few plants that are
glyphosate-resistant and some ag crops have been developed
specifically ("Roundup-ready" is Monsanto trade name for cultivated
crops that have been bred for over-the-top application), in general it
will kill or severely damage almost all common decorative plants/
grasses.

Don't have specific data for susceptibility of Bird of Paradise to
either, but time of year and strength of application and form of
application are all potentially quite significant to success. I'd
venture better luck in application on plant before severely pruning it
back for better absorption/takeup, as that's the mechanism to get the
herbicide introduced into the plant. However, as Roundup is non-
selective and will damage if not kill virtually everything it comes in
contact with, be extremely careful in application around anything of
value such as shrubs, trees, valuable perennials, etc.

A good overview on usage is athttp://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/
hil-648.html

A look at the Roundup application label didn't find it listed but that
could possibly be a case of such a small usage.

The suggestion to contact local Extension Service is a good one.

What concentration of Roundup was used and how was it applied? Before
cutting or after? It's absorbed through the leaves, so it should be
applied to the full plant and left there for a couple days. They do
specify less time, but longer is more certain. It takes a
concentration of 6% or so to kill tough plants, but I've yet to
encounter a plant around the house that it won't kill. I've used it
at 6% on poison ivy with good success. And interesting thing, as
someon previously pointed out, Monsanto has genetically modified
soybeans, cotton, etc so that they are Roundup tolerant, at least to
low to mod levels.