Posted to alt.home.repair
Bryce[_2_] Bryce[_2_] is offline

Default How Much Rock Salt to Kill Roots?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
(snip)
I usually have to snake my drain once every couple of
years but I'd rather do preventative maintenance.

Me too. I switched from (very expensive) copper sulfate to
rock salt last fall. I flush 2-3 cups down the toilet before
bed ... every 3 weeks or so. Too soon to judge the results.

I flush immediately upon pouring the salt into the toilet
bowl: hoping that the root mass will act as a strainer and
trap the crystals where they will do the most good. I'm
going to switch to (water softener) salt nuggets. Same
drill; flush and hope they will get caught in the root mass
and slowly dissolve there to lengthen exposure.