Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - drying rock salt

The church has a bucket about 2/3 full of rock salt, and
water filling the bucket to just over the level of the rock
salt.

I'm not sure if it's calcium salt, or sodium salt.

Any ideas to drying this out, and make it usable again? Or
should I dump it in the trash dumpster, or something? List
it on Recycle?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The church has a bucket about 2/3 full of rock salt, and
water filling the bucket to just over the level of the rock
salt.

I'm not sure if it's calcium salt, or sodium salt.

Any ideas to drying this out, and make it usable again? Or
should I dump it in the trash dumpster, or something? List
it on Recycle?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

When it does dry it will be a solid block...You could bust it up I guess...I
would toss it...HTH..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 7:14*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
The church has a bucket about 2/3 full of rock salt, and
water filling the bucket to just over the level of the rock
salt.

I'm not sure if it's calcium salt, or sodium salt.

Any ideas to drying this out, and make it usable again? Or
should I dump it in the trash dumpster, or something? List
it on Recycle?

--
Christopher A. Youn
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Well, its not Sodium Chloride salt, or else it would have
totally dissolved in the water... Could be Calcium or
Magnesium...

Not worth even worth trying to "dry it out" as the water
will have reacted with it making it a block of worthless
white powder... Ice control chemicals are only effective
when they are able to make their intended chemical
reactions -- your ice melter being doused with water
has chemically altered it in a way to make it useless...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The church has a bucket about 2/3 full of rock salt, and
water filling the bucket to just over the level of the rock
salt.

I'm not sure if it's calcium salt, or sodium salt.

Any ideas to drying this out, and make it usable again? Or
should I dump it in the trash dumpster, or something? List
it on Recycle?

About the only thing you can do is spread it out and hope the lumps are not
too big and can be broken apart. A 50# bag of rock salt is $8 so I'd not
invest too much time on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Evan wrote:
On Apr 27, 7:14=A0pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
The church has a bucket about 2/3 full of rock salt, and
water filling the bucket to just over the level of the rock
salt.

I'm not sure if it's calcium salt, or sodium salt.

Well, its not Sodium Chloride salt, or else it would have
totally dissolved in the water...

False. Sodium chloride is not infinitely soluble in water, and neither is
any other solid. Google "saturated solution" for an explanation of the
concept.

Could be Calcium or
Magnesium...

Or it could be good old NaCl.

Not worth even worth trying to "dry it out" as the water
will have reacted with it making it a block of worthless
white powder...

Wrong again. Water doesn't react with salt, it just dissolves it. Evaporate
the water, and you've got salt again.

Ice control chemicals are only effective
when they are able to make their intended chemical
reactions -- your ice melter being doused with water
has chemically altered it in a way to make it useless...

Strike three. Having *anything* dissolved in water lowers its freezing point.
Sodium and calcium salts are particularly effective at doing this because they
dissolve easily. No chemical reaction of any sort is involved. It's just
simple solubility.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For the cost of rock salt, that does sound wise.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"benick" wrote in message
. ..

When it does dry it will be a solid block...You could bust
it up I guess...I
would toss it...HTH..

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's not encouraging.

I remember the solubility of sodium chloride isn't much.
Certainly a splash of water in a bucket of crystals won't
dissolve it all.

What is the detail of the altering? I th ought it was just
salt on ice that made the melting.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Evan" wrote in message

Well, its not Sodium Chloride salt, or else it would have
totally dissolved in the water... Could be Calcium or
Magnesium...

Not worth even worth trying to "dry it out" as the water
will have reacted with it making it a block of worthless
white powder... Ice control chemicals are only effective
when they are able to make their intended chemical
reactions -- your ice melter being doused with water
has chemically altered it in a way to make it useless...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's good advice. Now, suppose the stuff isn't worth
saving. What to do with it?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

About the only thing you can do is spread it out and hope
the lumps are not
too big and can be broken apart. A 50# bag of rock salt is
$8 so I'd not
invest too much time on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article
,
Evan wrote:
I'm not sure if it's calcium salt, or sodium salt.

Well, its not Sodium Chloride salt, or else it would have
totally dissolved in the water...

False. Sodium chloride is not infinitely soluble in water,
and neither is
any other solid. Google "saturated solution" for an
explanation of the
concept.

CY: I'm remembering 40 grams per liter? Sound right? The
NaCL solubility doesn't vary much, with temperature.

Could be Calcium or
Magnesium...

Or it could be good old NaCl.

Not worth even worth trying to "dry it out" as the water
will have reacted with it making it a block of worthless
white powder...

Wrong again. Water doesn't react with salt, it just
dissolves it. Evaporate
the water, and you've got salt again.

CY: I remember that salt is rather ionic. Tends to break
into sodium ions, and chloride ions. But, dry it out and
it's good old salt again.

Ice control chemicals are only effective
when they are able to make their intended chemical
reactions -- your ice melter being doused with water
has chemically altered it in a way to make it useless...

Strike three. Having *anything* dissolved in water lowers
its freezing point.
Sodium and calcium salts are particularly effective at doing
this because they
dissolve easily. No chemical reaction of any sort is
involved. It's just
simple solubility.

CY: Much like glycol, or alcohol dissolves to change the
freezing point. The dissolving may be trace exothermic, I
can't remember. I remember that adding sulfuric acid to
water is exothermic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
That's good advice. Now, suppose the stuff isn't worth
saving. What to do with it?

How do you suppose the Great Salt Lake was formed? One bucket or
bag at a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 6:14*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
The church has a bucket about 2/3 full of rock salt, and
water filling the bucket to just over the level of the rock
salt.

I'm not sure if it's calcium salt, or sodium salt.

Any ideas to drying this out, and make it usable again? Or
should I dump it in the trash dumpster, or something? List
it on Recycle?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I had that happen last year, by maybe august it didnt dry out so I
chucked it in the trash.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan wrote:
I'm not sure if it's calcium salt, or sodium salt.

Well, its not Sodium Chloride salt, or else it would have
totally dissolved in the water...

False. Sodium chloride is not infinitely soluble in water,
and neither is
any other solid. Google "saturated solution" for an
explanation of the
concept.

CY: I'm remembering 40 grams per liter? Sound right? The
NaCL solubility doesn't vary much, with temperature.

No, it sounds awfully low to me.
checks the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics
HCP says 35.7 grams per 100cc at zero degrees C, 39.2 grams per 100cc at 100 C
(357 and 392 grams per liter respectively).
[...]
Ice control chemicals are only effective
when they are able to make their intended chemical
reactions -- your ice melter being doused with water
has chemically altered it in a way to make it useless...

Strike three. Having *anything* dissolved in water lowers
its freezing point.
Sodium and calcium salts are particularly effective at doing
this because they
dissolve easily. No chemical reaction of any sort is
involved. It's just
simple solubility.

CY: Much like glycol, or alcohol dissolves to change the
freezing point. The dissolving may be trace exothermic, I
can't remember. I remember that adding sulfuric acid to
water is exothermic.

Dissolving most things in water is endothermic -- that's why most substances
dissolve more readily in hot water than in cold. Sulfuric acid is an
exception.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote the following:
That's good advice. Now, suppose the stuff isn't worth
saving. What to do with it?

Toss it in the garbage, or drive to the coast and dump it in the ocean.
What's so hard about getting rid of it? It's not nuclear waste.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

I could ship this bucket to SLC and they could go out on a
boat, and pitch it in.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That's good advice. Now, suppose the stuff isn't worth
saving. What to do with it?

How do you suppose the Great Salt Lake was formed? One
bucket or
bag at a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That could happen, here, too. If left in the shed with
little air circulation.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"ransley" wrote in message

I had that happen last year, by maybe august it didnt dry
out so I
chucked it in the trash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah..... grams per 100 cc. I knew there was something I was
missing. Thanks.

I thought things dissolved in hot cause the carrying
capacity was larger and the mollecules vibrate faster with
heat.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

CY: I'm remembering 40 grams per liter? Sound right? The
NaCL solubility doesn't vary much, with temperature.

No, it sounds awfully low to me.
checks the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics
HCP says 35.7 grams per 100cc at zero degrees C, 39.2 grams
per 100cc at 100 C
(357 and 392 grams per liter respectively).
[...]

Dissolving most things in water is endothermic -- that's why
most substances
dissolve more readily in hot water than in cold. Sulfuric
acid is an
exception.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, I'm making a big deal of a small deal. I just hate
throwing out otherwise useful things.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"willshak" wrote in message
m...

Toss it in the garbage, or drive to the coast and dump it in
the ocean.
What's so hard about getting rid of it? It's not nuclear
waste.

--

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Ah..... grams per 100 cc. I knew there was something I was
missing. Thanks.

I thought things dissolved in hot cause the carrying
capacity was larger and the mollecules vibrate faster with
heat.

That's more or less the case. It requires energy to break the ionic bonds so
that the salt can dissolve, and there's more energy available in hot water
than there is in cold water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 10:46*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
That's good advice. Now, suppose the stuff isn't worth
saving. What to do with it?

Must be some way for you to make a battree out of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
The church has a bucket about 2/3 full of rock salt, and
water filling the bucket to just over the level of the rock
salt.

I'm not sure if it's calcium salt, or sodium salt.

Any ideas to drying this out, and make it usable again? Or
should I dump it in the trash dumpster, or something? List
it on Recycle?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I had that happen last year, by maybe august it didnt dry out so I
chucked it in the trash.

Me, too. I just moved it to a dry place, drilled holes in the bucket, and
used an axe when I needed some. Did that about three times, and chucked it
and went and bought a couple of bags for cheap, and took care of THOSE
properly. Salt is cheap. Cheap. Cheap.

Steve

visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for book

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
[...]

simple solubility.Just spotted this and thought it mihgt be of interest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/8647423.stm

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Why is it then that some places they spray a salt or brine solution on
the road before the stow starts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawyers. Cheaper to salt ahead of time than deal with
ambulance chasing lawyers.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message

Why is it then that some places they spray a salt or brine
solution on
the road before the stow starts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Yeah, I'm making a big deal of a small deal. I just hate
throwing out otherwise useful things.

Know anyone with a water softener?