Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How Much Rock Salt to Kill Roots?

On Feb 1, 2:30*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 31, 12:08*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Since I didn't get an answer to this question in my thread about salt
damaging my shower base, I'll try my question here.

What is the prescribed dosage of rock salt to control roots in a
drain?

Some folks in this group have said they dissolve 25#, but they don't
say how often.

One site, supposedly quoting a Mr. Rooter contractor, had this:

"Periodic (every 5-6 months) treatment with 1 cup of rock salt poured
into the clean-out, followed by running roughly 1 gallon of water
through the system and then allowing it all to "soak" overnight"

eHow says: "Rock salt will kill any plant or root it touches. Flushing
it into the sewer system several times daily should penetrate and kill
the roots."

Other sites simply say "use rock salt to kill roots in drains" or some
variation on that theme.

Nobody seems to have a consistant answer as to a specific amount and
how often - except for Mr. Rooter - but that suggestion is so far off
from the "25#" suggestion that one or the other doesn't seem valid.

Does anyone have a source for a firm answer? I don't mind using too
much salt, but I'd really like to know *how often* I should be
treating my drains.

I usually have to snake my drain once every couple of years but I'd
rather do preventative maintenance.

*I have been rock salting my bad sewer line for over 15 years.and
appear to have originated the idea here

I put 25 pounds of rock salt in my single washtub in basement and add
very hot water and stir....till salt is at least half gone.

then go out for day so salt sits in sewer line.

next day i add more water or let the washing machine water that drains
into the washtub dissolve the remaining salt. it goes away eventually.

early spring before trees leaf out is most important time to do this,
roots are very busy in early spring . but i do it a few times a year
just to be on safe side.

I kinda know when the roots are starting to block the line. the
basement gets a odor and the floor drain water level *bounces when
water is dumped into the wash tub.

If I immediately do the salt thing by the next day the roots must die,
and the blockage is gone.

so if you get a root back up you can try salt since you have nothing
to loose

Mt Rooter probably says salt constantly in the hopes they get the
pricey $$ job replacing the entire line, since a lot of people wouldnt
want to be salting constantly.

I am on a city sewer, salt might not be good for a septric tanks
biological action......- Hide quoted text -

Thanks...I will use your method a few times a year.

No septic to be concerned with.

I know when the blockage is starting because the basement toilet
gurgles and bubbles when an upstairs toilet is flushed. As it gets
progressively worse, you don't want to be sitting on the basement
toilet when an upstairs toilet is flushed!

I know it's really bad (and time to snake ASAP) when even taking a
shower causes the basement toilet to boil.

You sir, are the salt of the earth! ;-)