Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Somewhat OT - Ceramic Knives

It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the market?
Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble determining the
differences between all of them which I see advertised on many sites. The
prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or individual knife. Therefore,
what to look for? Brand?

Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

On 1/24/2011 7:03 PM, SBH wrote:
It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the
market? Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble
determining the differences between all of them which I see advertised
on many sites. The prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or
individual knife. Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

Harbor Freight has them, so they can't be bad!

;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 7:03*pm, "SBH" wrote:
It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the market?
Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble determining the
differences between all of them which I see advertised on many sites. The
prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or individual knife. Therefore,
what to look for? Brand?

They break if dropped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"SBH" wrote in message
It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the market?
Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble determining the
differences between all of them which I see advertised on many sites. The
prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or individual knife.
Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

You may want to search on rec.food.cooking or rec.food.equipment They have
been discussed a lot there in the past couple of years. I'd say it is about
50 -50 for and against.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2011 8:03 PM, SBH wrote:
It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the
market? Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble
determining the differences between all of them which I see advertised
on many sites. The prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or
individual knife. Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

I look and have others look too, for old knives at flea markets,
goodwill, and where ever else. I tell them to first jump at it if it
looks black and discolored, and even some rusty ones are good. I did
recently get 2 that were chrome plated with rusty scratches. All of
them are high carbon steel and they normally cost 50 cents to $2 I find
them a better value. A good sharpening and a little swish swish thing
to put an edge on them and damn they cut good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SBH" wrote in message
It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the market?
Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble determining the
differences between all of them which I see advertised on many sites. The
prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or individual knife.
Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

I have heard too many negative things from people who have owned them to
even try them. Just a decent knife with a diamond stone is adequate. I
have bought Victorinox, Dexter/Russell Sani-Save, and Henckels knives at
garage sales for a buck.

And oh, yes, I have seen many ceramic knives at yard sales, 99% of them with
a divot in the edge.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 12:00*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"SBH" wrote in message

It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the market?
Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble determining the
differences between all of them which I see advertised on many sites. The
prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or individual knife.
Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

I have heard too many negative things from people who have owned them to
even try them. *Just a decent knife with a diamond stone is adequate. *I
have bought Victorinox, Dexter/Russell Sani-Save, and Henckels knives at
garage sales for a buck.

And oh, yes, I have seen many ceramic knives at yard sales, 99% of them with
a divot in the edge.

Steve

I got two of them as a Christmas gift. Made by Kyocera, so they are
the real deal.
They are by far the sharpest knives I've ever used, including compared
to brand
new top quality steel kives like Henckel, Wuesthof, etc. Downside is
that
because they are brittle, they can only be used for certain things.
For example,
you don't want to be prying around bones, or forcing the knife through
stuff.
They are also very light and not sure how I feel about the way they
feel in your
hand. But for cutting quickly, cleanly and easily through the right
stuff, they
are great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 8:34*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 1/24/2011 8:03 PM, SBH wrote:

It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the
market? Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble
determining the differences between all of them which I see advertised
on many sites. The prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or
individual knife. Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

I look and have others look too, for old knives at flea markets,
goodwill, and where ever else. *I tell them to first jump at it if it
looks black and discolored, and even some rusty ones are good. *I did
recently get 2 that were chrome plated with rusty scratches. *All of
them are high carbon steel and they normally cost 50 cents to $2 I find
them a better value. *A good sharpening and a little swish swish thing
to put an edge on them and damn they cut good.

Amen to that. I have been building up my batch of paring knives out
of the local "Grandmother's shop". 25 cents each. Got two last week,
few minutes with a stone and finish with the steel and wow!

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 8:03*pm, "SBH" wrote:
It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the market?
Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble determining the
differences between all of them which I see advertised on many sites. The
prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or individual knife. Therefore,
what to look for? Brand?

Be careful with the cheaper ones.

Some of them are designed badly and most of them chip very easily. As
with most things, you get what you pay for. "As seen on TV" should be
considered a major clue.

I was at Mom's for the holidays and she had bought one of the $20
Yoshi knifes that came with the "free" ceramic peeler.

The knife was sharp enough to convince me that I want a couple of
ceramic knifes, but a tiny piece of the tip had alreay broken off and
there were a few chips out of the blade. She stores the knife in the
cover it came with, so the chips are not due to abuse.

The other problem was the shape of the Knife. The handle is designed
such that your knuckles are almost even with the bottom of the blade
so that you have to avoid rapping them on the cutting board.

Look at the difference between the $20 Yoshi knife and a quality
Kyocera and you'll see what Kyocrea means by "ergonomic".

https://yoshiblade.com/images/yoshib...c58ce00047.jpg

http://global.kyocera.com/prdct/fc_c...gonomic_17.jpg

Just about every independent review I've read states that while
ceramic knifes are great, they will not (should not) replace every
steel knife that you use. For example, they are for cutting, not
chopping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cjt" wrote in message
On 1/24/2011 7:03 PM, SBH wrote:
It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the
market? Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble
determining the differences between all of them which I see advertised
on many sites. The prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or
individual knife. Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

Harbor Freight has them, so they can't be bad!

;-)

I bought one from HF. What a joke. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SBH" wrote in message

It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the market?
Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble determining the
differences between all of them which I see advertised on many sites. The
prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or individual knife.
Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

I have heard too many negative things from people who have owned them to
even try them. *Just a decent knife with a diamond stone is adequate. *I
have bought Victorinox, Dexter/Russell Sani-Save, and Henckels knives at
garage sales for a buck.

And oh, yes, I have seen many ceramic knives at yard sales, 99% of them with
a divot in the edge.

Steve

I'd be interested in hearing the specifics of the "negative things"
you have been hearing.

It would also be interesting to know the quality of the ceramic knifes
that they had used. As per my other post, there is a huge difference
in quality between a $20 Yoshiblade and a $100 Kyocera or other
quality knife.

In addition, as with any tool, proper care is a huge factor in it's
longevity and "likability". If a tool gets mistreated and then
performs poorly, is it a problem with the tool or with the mis-
treater?

I made a knife holder similar to this that I made out of a piece of 2
x 12:

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/g...nife-block.jpg

I have steel knifes that are close to 30 years old and in perfect
shape because they don't get tossed in the dishpan or a utensil
drawer.

On the other hand, I've been in kitchens where the owner hates their
knifes - quality knifes - because their condition sucks due to years
of abuse. When I ask for a knife, they rummage around in a drawer full
of spatulas, serving spoons and vegetable peelers and eventually pull
out a Henckel 10" carving knife, scraping the blade along every metal
utensil in the drawer. No wonder they hate their knifes!

Maybe the reason every knife you have seen at garage sales are chipped
due to improper care. After all, who would sell a knife that is in
good shape if they liked it and took care of it?

If you were seeing ceramic knifes that were in good shape at garage
sales, then that would say something different about whether people
like the knifes or not.

All I'm saying is that we need to know about the quality of the knifes
you've seen and the care of said knifes before we can condemn ceramic
knifes in general.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 11:22*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 24, 8:03*pm, "SBH" wrote:

[...]

https://yoshiblade.com/images/yoshib...353-4613-b87c-...

http://global.kyocera.com/prdct/fc_c...ges/ergonomic_...

From those links it looks like you're comparing the shapes of a paring
knife and a chef's knife. Two different animals with different form
factors. A chef's knife is almost always used with a cutting board.
A paring knife is used mainly held in one hand, and what you're
operating is held in the other, or you're slicing with the tip and the
handle is elevated. A paring knife is more like a carving knife than
a chef's knife, and with a paring/carving knife you need the blade
edge and handle to be almost aligned so you can involve your thumb.

http://img4.cookinglight.com/i/2004/...0403p148-m.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2011 8:03 PM, SBH wrote:
It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the
market? Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble
determining the differences between all of them which I see advertised
on many sites. The prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or
individual knife. Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

You can probably google better reviews than this:

http://reviews.cookingcache.com/cera...es-review.html

but, as I suspected, they are more brittle and tend to break or chip and
they will dull eventually and you will not be able to sharpen them yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 1/24/2011 8:03 PM, SBH wrote:
It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the
market? Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble
determining the differences between all of them which I see advertised
on many sites. The prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or
individual knife. Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

You can probably google better reviews than this:

http://reviews.cookingcache.com/cera...es-review.html

but, as I suspected, they are more brittle and tend to break or chip and
they will dull eventually and you will not be able to sharpen them
yourself.

Yes, they do chip when impacted, but properly treated a ceramic knife is
sharper than a steel knife and will retain its edge for years, while
steel knives need sharpening every month or two.

If you have steady hands and the right tools (basically sandpaper up to
2000 grit), you can sharpen a dull and chipped ceramic knife.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SBH wrote:
It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the
market? Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble
determining the differences between all of them which I see advertised
on many sites. The prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or
individual knife. Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

Serious question..... I've often wondered...

Do those ceramic knives show up in your carry on baggage when it's
X-rayed by airport security?

Or when passing through a magnetometer?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2011 1:28 PM, Notat Home wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 1/24/2011 8:03 PM, SBH wrote:
[...]

Yes, even cave men had sharp ceramic knives - they were made out of flint.

I touch my kitchen knives up with a steel when they need it and have an
electric diamond wheel kitchen sharpener. My hunting knives, which you
could shave with, are touched up with a ceramic rod sharpener.

The knives that appear easiest to sharpen are those that seem to dull
fastest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:
SBH wrote:
It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the
market? Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble
determining the differences between all of them which I see
advertised on many sites. The prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for
a set or individual knife. Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

Serious question..... I've often wondered...

Do those ceramic knives show up in your carry on baggage when it's
X-rayed by airport security?

Or when passing through a magnetometer?

Jeff

the blades no. the rivets or hafts maybe depending upon what they're made
of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 1:40*pm, jeff_wisnia
wrote:
SBH wrote:
It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the
market? Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble
determining the differences between all of them which I see advertised
on many sites. The prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or
individual knife. Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

Serious question..... I've often wondered...

Do those ceramic knives show up in your carry on baggage when it's
X-rayed by airport security?

Everything shows up on an X-ray, and they use broad spectrum and color-
coding technology to differentiate between materials.

Or when passing through a magnetometer?

Nope. This is one of the major fallacies of the scanners. It's a dog
and pony show to create the illusion that people are safer. The funny
thing is that people weren't at more risk in the first place.

If you jump at every shadow, eventually, if you wait long enough,
there will be something in the shadows so you'll have proven all the
jumping to be worthwhile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2011 1:40 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:
SBH wrote:
It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the
market? Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble
determining the differences between all of them which I see advertised
on many sites. The prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or
individual knife. Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

Serious question..... I've often wondered...

Do those ceramic knives show up in your carry on baggage when it's
X-rayed by airport security?

Or when passing through a magnetometer?

I would guess it would be seen with x-ray but not show up on a metal
detector.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 8:03*pm, "SBH" wrote:

[...]

From those links it looks like you're comparing the shapes of a paring
knife and a chef's knife. *Two different animals with different form
factors. *A chef's knife is almost always used with a cutting board.
A paring knife is used mainly held in one hand, and what you're
operating is held in the other, or you're slicing with the tip and the
handle is elevated. *A paring knife is more like a carving knife than
a chef's knife, and with a paring/carving knife you need the blade
edge and handle to be almost aligned so you can involve your thumb.

http://img4.cookinglight.com/i/2004/...0403p148-m.jpg

R- Hide quoted text -

I'm not sure which of of the 2 links I posted you are considering to
be a "paring" knife, but neither of them look like any paring knife
I've used.

As far as I know, the Yohsi knife only comes in the model shown, and
is more akin to a chef's knife than a paring knife. The Yoshi knife I
used at my Mom's was certainly not a pairing knife. BTW...I do know
the difference. ;-)

See here for a pictu

http://www.myceramicknives.com/image...yoshiblade.jpg

And here for the complete review:

http://www.myceramicknives.com/Ceram...i-blade-review

The Kyocera I linked to is their FK-160 WH 6.5" Chef’s Knife as shown
here, 7th knife down in the left hand column:

http://global.kyocera.com/prdct/fc_c...ergonomic.html

Check the properties of the image and you'll see that they match the
link I posted.

The paring knifes are the top ones in each column and obvious by their
form factors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 2:51*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 25, 11:22*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The two links you've posted for the Yoshi, side by side:

https://yoshiblade.com/images/yoshib...c58ce00047.jpg

See here for a pictu

http://www.myceramicknives.com/image...yoshiblade.jpg

The second looks like a different knife than your first Yoshi link,
doesn't it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

I'd be interested in hearing the specifics of the "negative things"
you have been hearing.

Chipping, being impossible to sharpen without sending back to factory. ($$$)

All I'm saying is that we need to know about the quality of the knifes
you've seen and the care of said knifes before we can condemn ceramic
knifes in general.

I am only stating my opinion, and I'm not interested in arriving at a
consensus, or a one size fits all state. I personally wouldn't spend that
much money on any knife for the better brand names. And I certainly would
not buy a knife that had to be professionally sharpened.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 3:04*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote

I'd be interested in hearing the specifics of the "negative things"
you have been hearing.

Chipping, being impossible to sharpen without sending back to factory. ($$$)

Impossible?

All I'm saying is that we need to know about the quality of the knifes
you've seen and the care of said knifes before we can condemn ceramic
knifes in general.

I am only stating my opinion, and I'm not interested in arriving at a
consensus, or a one size fits all state. *I personally wouldn't spend that
much money on any knife for the better brand names. *And I certainly would
not buy a knife that had to be professionally sharpened.

If you have a diamond stone you can do it yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 3:01*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 25, 2:51*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jan 25, 11:22*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The two links you've posted for the Yoshi, side by side:

https://yoshiblade.com/images/yoshib...353-4613-b87c-...

See here for a pictu

http://www.myceramicknives.com/image...yoshiblade.jpg

The second looks like a different knife than your first Yoshi link,
doesn't it?

I see what you are saying. It appears that they have changed the Yoshi
knife since that review pic was posted because I still believe that
there is only one Yoshiblade available. I could be wrong.

Maybe they read the reviews and redesigned the handle. I know that the
one my mom has is a knuckle buster.

In any case, I plan to get 1 or 2 of different sizes, but I'm going
Kyocera, not Yoshi
Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote in
:

SBH wrote:
It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the
market? Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble
determining the differences between all of them which I see advertised
on many sites. The prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or
individual knife. Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

Serious question..... I've often wondered...

Do those ceramic knives show up in your carry on baggage when it's
X-rayed by airport security?

Or when passing through a magnetometer?

Jeff

probably won't show up on a magnetometer,but yes to the X-ray machines.

Planning on arming yourself while flying? ;-)
not a good idea to try.it might get you kicked off the flight,or worse.

BTW,having such items in your checked baggage,they may not be there when
you arrive,having been stolen by TSA workers.That is a frequent
occurrence,stolen items from checked baggage.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:31:42 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

BTW,having such items in your checked baggage,they may not be there when
you arrive,having been stolen by TSA workers.That is a frequent
occurrence,stolen items from checked baggage.

I don't think baggage handlers are employed by the TSA. The baggage
handlers are the ones stealing. TSA just wants to look at you and feel
you all over, er, package checks...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in
:

On 1/25/2011 1:28 PM, Notat Home wrote:

If you have steady hands and the right tools (basically sandpaper up
to 2000 grit), you can sharpen a dull and chipped ceramic knife.

maybe silicon carbide (WetOrDry) sandpaper,but not your ordinary sandpaper.
Of course,you won't get such fine grits without it being SiC.
you can buy diamond sharpening blocks or plates,too. I suspect they'd last
longer,but cost more.

Yes, even cave men had sharp ceramic knives - they were made out of
flint.

is flint a "ceramic"? no.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint

I touch my kitchen knives up with a steel when they need it and have
an electric diamond wheel kitchen sharpener. My hunting knives, which
you could shave with, are touched up with a ceramic rod sharpener.

The knives that appear easiest to sharpen are those that seem to dull
fastest.

well,softer alloys erode or deform easier.
(OTOH,too-hard means they chip easier...)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote

If you have steady hands and the right tools (basically sandpaper up
to 2000 grit), you can sharpen a dull and chipped ceramic knife.

maybe silicon carbide (WetOrDry) sandpaper,but not your ordinary
sandpaper.
Of course,you won't get such fine grits without it being SiC.
you can buy diamond sharpening blocks or plates,too. I suspect they'd last
longer,but cost more.

Yes, even cave men had sharp ceramic knives - they were made out of
flint.

is flint a "ceramic"? no.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint

The average human cannot sharpen a knife.

And, cave men who were in the know used obsidian knives, which are many many
many many times sharper than the knives we use today.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:40:58 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

And, cave men who were in the know used obsidian knives, which are many many
many many times sharper than the knives we use today.

Now, we do have some good tools. It started using flint... today...

"Modernized with 21st Century materials & workmanship, the new Lagana
Tactical Tomahawk sets the bar for ease of carry, toughness &
versatility. No axe in the War on Terror has seen & done more.
Tactical Tomahawks have come in handy for many soldiers in Iraq."

http://www.tacticaltomahawk.org/tag/tomahawk

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And, cave men who were in the know used obsidian knives, which are many
many
many many times sharper than the knives we use today.

Now, we do have some good tools. It started using flint... today...

"Modernized with 21st Century materials & workmanship, the new Lagana
Tactical Tomahawk sets the bar for ease of carry, toughness &
versatility. No axe in the War on Terror has seen & done more.
Tactical Tomahawks have come in handy for many soldiers in Iraq."

http://www.tacticaltomahawk.org/tag/tomahawk

These are also good. I have one of the prototypes that Bob made in the
early 80's, and have turned down $3k for it. Lots of fun, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:29:19 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

In any case, I plan to get 1 or 2 of different sizes, but I'm going
Kyocera, not Yoshi

As long as you know that's it's purely a "tool thing."
Not much to do with actual cutting or cooking.
Not picking on ceramic knives.
My wife cuts and cooks all day for a living.
She never used a ceramic, and is all steel.
At her work a sharpener comes in every 2 weeks.
In between she touches up with a steel.

At home she likes the Wolfgang Puck 4-knife set I bought her for 30
bucks from Home Shopping Network a couple years ago.
They came with a nice counter stand.
She has touched up the most used a few times with a steel and said
that works real good,
Before that she used mostly dollar store knives. Most take steel
honing well for a while.
Some for years, others not so much.
Still have some around. Some she tossed after a couple years.

I picked up a couple dollar chef knives about 8 years ago for my
tackle box. Just to cut bait, mostly frozen squid.
Still on the first one, though it's spotted with salt rusting, and the
second one is unopened in the blister pack.
I have a good 6" stone in my box too, but only use it for my fillet
knives.

I've often wanted a good diamond wheel electric knife sharpener
because I like tools, even though I hardly use a knife.
Figured I could sharpen the kitchen knives for my wife.
She said don't bother, she's fine with her honing steel.
Buy me a topaz ring instead.

Anyway, I've concluded that knives are not really a "tool thing" for
her. I kind of want to buy her some ceramic knives to test that
theory, but I know she appreciates jewelry more than tools.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And, cave men who were in the know used obsidian knives, which are many
many
many many times sharper than the knives we use today.

Now, we do have some good tools. It started using flint... today...

"Modernized with 21st Century materials & workmanship, the new Lagana
Tactical Tomahawk sets the bar for ease of carry, toughness &
versatility. No axe in the War on Terror has seen & done more.
Tactical Tomahawks have come in handy for many soldiers in Iraq."

http://www.tacticaltomahawk.org/tag/tomahawk

These are also good. I have one of the prototypes that Bob made in the
early 80's, and have turned down $3k for it. Lots of fun, too.

Steve

Sorry, forgot to paste....................... http://www.atlatl.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 26, 2:09*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

These are also good. *I have one of the prototypes that Bob made in the
early 80's, and have turned down $3k for it. *Lots of fun, too.

Sorry, forgot to paste....................... *http://www.atlatl.com/

I always wanted to try an atlatl. Very cool item.

Ceramic disk tap - where to get replacement ceramic disc or repair otherwise? [email protected] UK diy 14 August 13th 09 09:19 AM
Ceramic kitchen knives Ignoramus6517 Metalworking 55 November 23rd 08 01:59 AM
Molding Knives HotRod Woodworking 2 November 3rd 06 05:26 PM
ceramic towel rack to ceramic wall dk Home Repair 8 December 11th 05 04:26 AM
U.T. knives.. Leonardo Home Repair 4 February 22nd 05 04:50 AM