Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Somewhat OT - Ceramic Knives

On 1/25/2011 1:28 PM, Notat Home wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 1/24/2011 8:03 PM, SBH wrote:
It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the
market? Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble
determining the differences between all of them which I see advertised
on many sites. The prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or
individual knife. Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

You can probably google better reviews than this:

http://reviews.cookingcache.com/cera...es-review.html

but, as I suspected, they are more brittle and tend to break or chip and
they will dull eventually and you will not be able to sharpen them
yourself.

Yes, they do chip when impacted, but properly treated a ceramic knife is
sharper than a steel knife and will retain its edge for years, while
steel knives need sharpening every month or two.

If you have steady hands and the right tools (basically sandpaper up to
2000 grit), you can sharpen a dull and chipped ceramic knife.

Yes, even cave men had sharp ceramic knives - they were made out of flint.

I touch my kitchen knives up with a steel when they need it and have an
electric diamond wheel kitchen sharpener. My hunting knives, which you
could shave with, are touched up with a ceramic rod sharpener.

The knives that appear easiest to sharpen are those that seem to dull
fastest.