Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Somewhat OT - Ceramic Knives

On Jan 25, 12:00*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"SBH" wrote in message

It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the market?
Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble determining the
differences between all of them which I see advertised on many sites. The
prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or individual knife.
Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

I have heard too many negative things from people who have owned them to
even try them. *Just a decent knife with a diamond stone is adequate. *I
have bought Victorinox, Dexter/Russell Sani-Save, and Henckels knives at
garage sales for a buck.

And oh, yes, I have seen many ceramic knives at yard sales, 99% of them with
a divot in the edge.

Steve

I'd be interested in hearing the specifics of the "negative things"
you have been hearing.

It would also be interesting to know the quality of the ceramic knifes
that they had used. As per my other post, there is a huge difference
in quality between a $20 Yoshiblade and a $100 Kyocera or other
quality knife.

In addition, as with any tool, proper care is a huge factor in it's
longevity and "likability". If a tool gets mistreated and then
performs poorly, is it a problem with the tool or with the mis-
treater?

I made a knife holder similar to this that I made out of a piece of 2
x 12:

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/g...nife-block.jpg

I have steel knifes that are close to 30 years old and in perfect
shape because they don't get tossed in the dishpan or a utensil
drawer.

On the other hand, I've been in kitchens where the owner hates their
knifes - quality knifes - because their condition sucks due to years
of abuse. When I ask for a knife, they rummage around in a drawer full
of spatulas, serving spoons and vegetable peelers and eventually pull
out a Henckel 10" carving knife, scraping the blade along every metal
utensil in the drawer. No wonder they hate their knifes!

Maybe the reason every knife you have seen at garage sales are chipped
due to improper care. After all, who would sell a knife that is in
good shape if they liked it and took care of it?

If you were seeing ceramic knifes that were in good shape at garage
sales, then that would say something different about whether people
like the knifes or not.

All I'm saying is that we need to know about the quality of the knifes
you've seen and the care of said knifes before we can condemn ceramic
knifes in general.