Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Somewhat OT - Ceramic Knives

On Jan 25, 12:11*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 25, 11:22*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jan 24, 8:03*pm, "SBH" wrote:

It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the market?
Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble determining the
differences between all of them which I see advertised on many sites. The
prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or individual knife. Therefore,
what to look for? Brand?

Be careful with the cheaper ones.

Some of them are designed badly and most of them chip very easily. *As
with most things, you get what you pay for. "As seen on TV" should be
considered a major clue.

I was at Mom's for the holidays and she had bought one of the $20
Yoshi knifes that came with the "free" ceramic peeler.

The knife was sharp enough to convince me that I want a couple of
ceramic knifes, but a tiny piece of the tip had alreay broken off and
there were a few chips out of the blade. She stores the knife in the
cover it came with, so the chips are not due to abuse.

The other problem was the shape of the Knife. The handle is designed
such that your knuckles are almost even with the bottom of the blade
so that you have to avoid rapping them on the cutting board.

Look at the difference between the $20 Yoshi knife and a quality
Kyocera and you'll see what Kyocrea means by "ergonomic".

https://yoshiblade.com/images/yoshib...353-4613-b87c-...

http://global.kyocera.com/prdct/fc_c...ges/ergonomic_...

From those links it looks like you're comparing the shapes of a paring
knife and a chef's knife. *Two different animals with different form
factors. *A chef's knife is almost always used with a cutting board.
A paring knife is used mainly held in one hand, and what you're
operating is held in the other, or you're slicing with the tip and the
handle is elevated. *A paring knife is more like a carving knife than
a chef's knife, and with a paring/carving knife you need the blade
edge and handle to be almost aligned so you can involve your thumb.

http://img4.cookinglight.com/i/2004/...0403p148-m.jpg

R- Hide quoted text -

I'm not sure which of of the 2 links I posted you are considering to
be a "paring" knife, but neither of them look like any paring knife
I've used.

As far as I know, the Yohsi knife only comes in the model shown, and
is more akin to a chef's knife than a paring knife. The Yoshi knife I
used at my Mom's was certainly not a pairing knife. BTW...I do know
the difference. ;-)

See here for a pictu

http://www.myceramicknives.com/image...yoshiblade.jpg

And here for the complete review:

http://www.myceramicknives.com/Ceram...i-blade-review

The Kyocera I linked to is their FK-160 WH 6.5" Chef’s Knife as shown
here, 7th knife down in the left hand column:

http://global.kyocera.com/prdct/fc_c...ergonomic.html

Check the properties of the image and you'll see that they match the
link I posted.

The paring knifes are the top ones in each column and obvious by their
form factors.