Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Somewhat OT - Ceramic Knives

On Jan 25, 12:00*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"SBH" wrote in message

It's still a home issue which is why it's somewhat OT.

Anyway, anyone purchase the newer ceramic knives which are on the market?
Are they all what they claim to be? I'm having trouble determining the
differences between all of them which I see advertised on many sites. The
prices fluctuate from $10 to $100 for a set or individual knife.
Therefore, what to look for? Brand?

I have heard too many negative things from people who have owned them to
even try them. *Just a decent knife with a diamond stone is adequate. *I
have bought Victorinox, Dexter/Russell Sani-Save, and Henckels knives at
garage sales for a buck.

And oh, yes, I have seen many ceramic knives at yard sales, 99% of them with
a divot in the edge.

Steve

I got two of them as a Christmas gift. Made by Kyocera, so they are
the real deal.
They are by far the sharpest knives I've ever used, including compared
to brand
new top quality steel kives like Henckel, Wuesthof, etc. Downside is
that
because they are brittle, they can only be used for certain things.
For example,
you don't want to be prying around bones, or forcing the knife through
stuff.
They are also very light and not sure how I feel about the way they
feel in your
hand. But for cutting quickly, cleanly and easily through the right
stuff, they
are great.