Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen drain pipe - snake goes through easily, but not water?

I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the kitchen
disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in the basement
(where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe that's fortunately
runs over my wash basin). So I've got a run of only about 6 or 7 feet of
pipe that I snaked. Snaking went easy, with the cable end coming out the
end of the pipe with very little gunk. So, I pour water down the pipe
under the sink and it just trickles out in the basement! I've snaked it
3 more times, and still the water flow out the end of the pipe in the
basement is about a quart every 10 minutes. Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2011 6:24 PM, Pete wrote:
I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the kitchen
disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in the basement
(where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe that's fortunately
runs over my wash basin). So I've got a run of only about 6 or 7 feet of
pipe that I snaked. Snaking went easy, with the cable end coming out the
end of the pipe with very little gunk. So, I pour water down the pipe
under the sink and it just trickles out in the basement! I've snaked it
3 more times, and still the water flow out the end of the pipe in the
basement is about a quart every 10 minutes. Any ideas?

BTW, I also poured a pint of Pequa drain opener in the pipe, which also
trickled out at the same rate. I let it sit for 2 or 3 hours, but still
the same results.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 18:24:08 -0500, Pete wrote:

I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the kitchen
disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in the basement
(where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe that's fortunately
runs over my wash basin). So I've got a run of only about 6 or 7 feet of
pipe that I snaked. Snaking went easy, with the cable end coming out the
end of the pipe with very little gunk. So, I pour water down the pipe
under the sink and it just trickles out in the basement! I've snaked it
3 more times, and still the water flow out the end of the pipe in the
basement is about a quart every 10 minutes. Any ideas?

I've never been in this situation, but my ugess is you need to attach
something bigger to the snake, like a sponge, or something that will
fill the pipe and not just push a hole through which gets filled up
again as the snake passes through.

I don't know anything about pequa.

Oh, yeah, ventilation. Somehow snake the pipe to the roof. Or from
the roof??

They used to sell a garden hose attachment that swelled up as a ball
and was supposed to fit tightly in a pige. I don't know if you need
that or not.

I don't know what happens if you attach a sponge and then the sponge
comes off!!! In the middle of some pipe. LIke I say, I've never
done this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2011 6:27 PM, Country wrote:
On Jan 7, 5:24 pm, wrote:
I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the kitchen
disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in the basement
(where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe that's fortunately
runs over my wash basin). So I've got a run of only about 6 or 7 feet of
pipe that I snaked. Snaking went easy, with the cable end coming out the
end of the pipe with very little gunk. So, I pour water down the pipe
under the sink and it just trickles out in the basement! I've snaked it
3 more times, and still the water flow out the end of the pipe in the
basement is about a quart every 10 minutes. Any ideas?

Ventilation?

-C-

Showing my ignorance here, but I'm not sure. The pipe goes in the wall
and behind cabinet a foot or so and down from there. The bathroom's
right above the kitchen, so it's possible there's a vent pipe that ties
to the bathroom. Just guessing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 3:24*pm, Pete wrote:
I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the kitchen
disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in the basement
(where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe that's fortunately
runs over my wash basin). So I've got a run of only about 6 or 7 feet of
pipe that I snaked. Snaking went easy, with the cable end coming out the
end of the pipe with very little gunk. So, I pour water down the pipe
under the sink and it just trickles out in the basement! I've snaked it
3 more times, and still the water flow out the end of the pipe in the
basement is about a quart every 10 minutes. Any ideas?

http://dezndt9i6z9ef.cloudfront.net/...mage_13513.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 5:24 pm, wrote:
[...]

Showing my ignorance here again, but even if there was no vent pipe, I
don't understand how that could be a factor in this case. I've removed
the p-trap. I would think that with the pipe under the sink wide open,
lack of a vent pipe wouldn't impede the water flow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 5:24 pm, wrote:
[...]

A flat wire snake just poking a hole through gunk might end up with
the results you describe.
A typical spiral wire snake shouldn't.
Have you snaked while the drain piping is loaded with water, or poked
a hose running with water while pausing your snaking?

Seems odd to me. You're right about venting. If the drain is open
it's to the kitchen, it's vented.
When you say the snake came out of the end, you mean in the basement,
right?

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 5:24 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yes, the snake came out in the basement. It's a cable snake with a half
inch spiral wire end. I've snaked it with water in it. In fact, I had
the snake all the way through to the basement and filled the pipe at the
same time (with an inverted elbow piece). I pulled the snake back out,
and the water still drizzle out in the basement. I'm thinking gremlins.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete wrote:
I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the kitchen
disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in the basement
(where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe that's fortunately
runs over my wash basin). So I've got a run of only about 6 or 7 feet of
pipe that I snaked. Snaking went easy, with the cable end coming out the
end of the pipe with very little gunk. So, I pour water down the pipe
under the sink and it just trickles out in the basement! I've snaked it
3 more times, and still the water flow out the end of the pipe in the
basement is about a quart every 10 minutes. Any ideas?

Hi,
Order of trouble-shooting is from top to bottom. Checked vening yet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
On Jan 7, 3:24 pm, Pete wrote:
I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the kitchen
disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in the basement
(where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe that's fortunately
runs over my wash basin). So I've got a run of only about 6 or 7 feet of
pipe that I snaked. Snaking went easy, with the cable end coming out the
end of the pipe with very little gunk. So, I pour water down the pipe
under the sink and it just trickles out in the basement! I've snaked it
3 more times, and still the water flow out the end of the pipe in the
basement is about a quart every 10 minutes. Any ideas?

http://dezndt9i6z9ef.cloudfront.net/...mage_13513.jpg

+++++++++

And, that is a photo of .....?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete wrote in
:

Yes, the snake came out in the basement. It's a cable snake with a
half inch spiral wire end. I've snaked it with water in it. In fact, I
had the snake all the way through to the basement and filled the pipe
at the same time (with an inverted elbow piece). I pulled the snake
back out, and the water still drizzle out in the basement. I'm
thinking gremlins.

Two things I can think of:

1) That 1/2" spiral isn't big enough for your clog. A guy I used to know
taught me a little trick: Loosely fasten a piece of wire to the spiral. As
you spin the spiral, the wire flies outwards and acts as a sort of roto-
rooter, dislodging more gunk than the spiral does alone. The faster you
spin the spiral, the better the wire works.

2) Maybe you need a better drain-opener. I see that Pequa's drain-opener is
potassium hydroxide. This may not be as effective as lye (sodium
hydroxide). Drano (for one) is lye-based, and properly used, is an
excellent gunk-decomposer. Drano is septic-safe.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 7:36*pm, Tegger wrote:
Pete wrote :

[...]

Attach some fairly stiff wire to the end of the snake once you get it
coming out in the basement, bend the wire so it is at least 1/2 the
diameter of the pipe, and then fill the pipe with water and spin the
snake while pulling it back up, keep the water filled. That way, as
you come back up and dislodge anything, it is free from that point
down to the basement end. What you are doing may loosen something,
but then it clogs back up. My way will give whatever is clogging the
pipe an open pathway from the clog point into the basement.
Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Perhaps there is cooking grease gumming up the pipe. This would allow snake
to go through but retain water. Maybe hot water would flush it open?

They used to sell a garden hose attachment that swelled up as a ball
and was supposed to fit tightly in a pige. I don't know if you need
that or not.

I still see that stuff in hardware stores. You may also need to buy an
adapter to connect garden hose to the kitchen faucet.

If this still doesn't work, you could call a plumber with a drain pipe
camera, or use a pressure washer with a jetter hose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"Tegger" wrote

I like that idea. He's got access from both ends of the clog, so he might
as well take advantage of it.

At least try snaking up from the basement. It may be enough to go at a
different angle to grab the clog.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Pete wrote:

I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the kitchen
disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in the basement
(where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe that's fortunately
runs over my wash basin). So I've got a run of only about 6 or 7 feet of
pipe that I snaked. Snaking went easy, with the cable end coming out the
end of the pipe with very little gunk. So, I pour water down the pipe
under the sink and it just trickles out in the basement! I've snaked it
3 more times, and still the water flow out the end of the pipe in the
basement is about a quart every 10 minutes. Any ideas?

WAG here, but are you sure you're interpreting what you're observing
correctly? Perhaps you cleared the clog, and when you pour water down
the open pipe under the sink, it now runs right through and down the
wash basin in the basement. By the time you get to the basement, it's
gone, so you don't see it. Meanwhile, there's a slow leak in the
bathroom upstairs, the one that connects, IIRC, to the kitchen sink
drain, and it's *that* water that's trickling out at the rate of 1 quart
per ten minutes as you mentioned in a later post.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Jan 7, 5:24 pm, wrote:
[...]

I don't know if this is related to your problem, or not, but every
fixture in your house has a vent to the roof. They combine the
fixtures in one bathroom, and for this reason and others try to put
the various sinks, toilets, showers on top of each other, so that most
houses only need one or two such vents. That's why you have those two
little pipes coming out of your roof. They are not chimneys for the
mice's fireplace, like so many people think.

Showing my ignorance here again, but even if there was no vent pipe, I
don't understand how that could be a factor in this case. I've removed
the p-trap. I would think that with the pipe under the sink wide open,
lack of a vent pipe wouldn't impede the water flow.

I see in a later post that you pour the water in when the pipe is
disconnected and there is no trap between the pipe and where you put
the water in. I guess that should duplicate the purpose of the vent
and it's not the vent.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 21:05:10 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Pete wrote:

[...]

ARe you saying I can't do all my repairs by myself? You might be
right so I guess in the OP's shoes I woudl plug the basement sink and
see how much is there when I got there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2011 12:05 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm sure. I've used a pan in the wash
basin to catch what I'm putting in from above & used red food coloring
to make sure it's the same water. The water in the pan is the same red
color and the same amount as put in from the top.

I think I'll try that wire attached to the cable end mentioned by a
couple other posters.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Pete wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

My bathtub drain goes almost horizontal quite a ways, and it accumulates
loose gunk that slows the drain. I get the same symptoms as you that
snakeing doesn't really seem to do anything. So I use something like
Drano, let it sit a while, then flush it and after a bit use a plunger
actively to loosen up the semi-released gunk and rinse it away. This
sees to work for almost alf a year at a time.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

When kitchen drains clog, it's typically grease from
cooking. The snake "should" have cleared it. As to drain
chemicals, you need lye or other alkalines to clear the
grease. Look for the word "hydroxide" on the label. I'd want
Red Devil lye, or Crystal Drano, both of which are sodium
hydroxide base.

Another plan is to reconnect the pipe, and pour in boiling
water from the teakettle. Might not work in your case, it
will take a lot of water to heat up a garbage disposal, and
the disposal might not be safe with boiling water.

Have you called a priest?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete"
wrote in message

Yes, the snake came out in the basement. It's a cable snake
with a half
inch spiral wire end. I've snaked it with water in it. In
fact, I had
the snake all the way through to the basement and filled the
pipe at the
same time (with an inverted elbow piece). I pulled the snake
back out,
and the water still drizzle out in the basement. I'm
thinking gremlins.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 1/7/2011 3:24 PM, Pete wrote:
I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the kitchen
disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in the basement
(where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe that's fortunately
runs over my wash basin). So I've got a run of only about 6 or 7 feet of
pipe that I snaked. Snaking went easy, with the cable end coming out the
end of the pipe with very little gunk. So, I pour water down the pipe
under the sink and it just trickles out in the basement! I've snaked it
3 more times, and still the water flow out the end of the pipe in the
basement is about a quart every 10 minutes. Any ideas?

Try a drain cleaning bladder like
http://www.harborfreight.com/medium-drain-cleaning-bladder-99942.html.
I had a kitchen drain clog that a snake wouldn't clear and this worked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 3:24 pm, Pete wrote:
I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the kitchen
disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in the basement
(where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe that's fortunately
runs over my wash basin). So I've got a run of only about 6 or 7 feet of
pipe that I snaked. Snaking went easy, with the cable end coming out the
end of the pipe with very little gunk. So, I pour water down the pipe
under the sink and it just trickles out in the basement! I've snaked it
3 more times, and still the water flow out the end of the pipe in the
basement is about a quart every 10 minutes. Any ideas?

http://dezndt9i6z9ef.cloudfront.net/...mage_13513.jpg

+++++++++

And, that is a photo of .....?

That is a picture of a spade blade used on the leading edge of a snake. Far
more effective that the corkscrew type.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2011 9:22 PM, Tegger wrote:
"hr(bob) wrote in
:

Attach some fairly stiff wire to the end of the snake once you get it
coming out in the basement, bend the wire so it is at least 1/2 the
diameter of the pipe, and then fill the pipe with water and spin the
snake while pulling it back up, keep the water filled. That way, as
you come back up and dislodge anything, it is free from that point
down to the basement end. What you are doing may loosen something,
but then it clogs back up. My way will give whatever is clogging the
pipe an open pathway from the clog point into the basement.

I like that idea. He's got access from both ends of the clog, so he might
as well take advantage of it.

OK, I poured some more of the drain cleaner last night. This morning I
snaked again and a bit of gunk came out. I tried attaching some wire and
backing out the snake. More gunk came out, but the wire twirled off the
spiral cable wire. So I reattached some more wire and went back down
with snake - a lot of gunk came out. I then flushed the pipe again with
a sinkful of hot water and lots of Dawn, and that really did it. Lots of
crud, and free flowing water!

I noticed in the gunk there were a number of greasy black flaps. My
suspicion at this point is that the flaps were partially stuck to the
walls of the pipe, but the unstuck sections blocked the smooth flow of
water. The snake probably got through them OK, but once the snake was
removed, the flaps and any other grease still there slowed the flow to a
trickle.

Anyway, all is well, and I thank everyone for their suggestions.

Now, prevention. Besides limiting the grease, and using cold water when
grease is flushed, are there any drain cleaners that are particularly
effective in maintaining clean, less greasy pipes?

Thanks,
Pete
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2011 10:26 AM, Pete wrote:
[...]

If I rinse grease down the drain, I run hot water before and after.
That is only to rinse pans/dishes. Larger amounts, I pour into a jar or
can and dispose of that into the trash. Only clogs I have had in years
and years have been hairballs in bathroom and veggie peels I fed through
the disposal in large amounts. I don't and won't use Drano or similar
.... too nasty to keep around and no reason to create a clog that is
subject to Drano clearing it )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 11:24*pm, Pete wrote:
I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the kitchen
disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in the basement
(where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe that's fortunately
runs over my wash basin). So I've got a run of only about 6 or 7 feet of
pipe that I snaked. Snaking went easy, with the cable end coming out the
end of the pipe with very little gunk. So, I pour water down the pipe
under the sink and it just trickles out in the basement! I've snaked it
3 more times, and still the water flow out the end of the pipe in the
basement is about a quart every 10 minutes. Any ideas?

I would get the garden hose and shove it down (or up) the pipe. Turn
the water on and keep shoving. Use hot water if you think there might
be a grease problem. Could be a bit messy though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

For kitchen grease, a drain chemical with hydroxide is
needed. Crystal Drano, or some other lye product would be
effective.

I'm glad the "snake plus wire" did the job. That's good to
know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete" wrote in message

Now, prevention. Besides limiting the grease, and using cold
water when
grease is flushed, are there any drain cleaners that are
particularly
effective in maintaining clean, less greasy pipes?

Thanks,
Pete

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete wrote in
:

On 1/7/2011 9:22 PM, Tegger wrote:

OK, I poured some more of the drain cleaner last night. This morning I
snaked again and a bit of gunk came out. I tried attaching some wire
and backing out the snake. More gunk came out, but the wire twirled
off the spiral cable wire. So I reattached some more wire and went
back down with snake - a lot of gunk came out. I then flushed the pipe
again with a sinkful of hot water and lots of Dawn, and that really
did it. Lots of crud, and free flowing water!

Hey! Success is sweet.

I noticed in the gunk there were a number of greasy black flaps. My
suspicion at this point is that the flaps were partially stuck to the
walls of the pipe, but the unstuck sections blocked the smooth flow of
water. The snake probably got through them OK, but once the snake was
removed, the flaps and any other grease still there slowed the flow to
a trickle.

Anyway, all is well, and I thank everyone for their suggestions.

Now, prevention. Besides limiting the grease, and using cold water
when grease is flushed, are there any drain cleaners that are
particularly effective in maintaining clean, less greasy pipes?

I find regular application of Drano (or other preparation containing sodium
hydroxide) to be particularly effective. I use the Gel stuff, because it
sticks around longer.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete" wrote in message
[...]

Wow! This becomes my night to disagree with two posters on the same night.

Again, no offense intended.

Emulsify your grease with soap and cold water before sending it down the
drain. The clots come where the pipe cools enough to allow it. Cold water
doesn't cool. The suspended grease will pass to the sewer.

Just think about it. Think and understand.

--
Colbyt
Please come visit

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 17:37:38 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
OK, I poured some more of the drain cleaner last night. This morning I
snaked again and a bit of gunk came out. I tried attaching some wire and
backing out the snake. More gunk came out, but the wire twirled off the
spiral cable wire. So I reattached some more wire and went back down with
snake - a lot of gunk came out. I then flushed the pipe again with a
sinkful of hot water and lots of Dawn, and that really did it. Lots of
crud, and free flowing water!

I noticed in the gunk there were a number of greasy black flaps. My

What are all these greasy black flaps? What are they from? I don't
put black flaps down my drain. I don't even have any to put.

And how do they get by the garbage disposal? In other words, how big
are they, what are they, and how do you get them?

suspicion at this point is that the flaps were partially stuck to the
walls of the pipe, but the unstuck sections blocked the smooth flow of
water. The snake probably got through them OK, but once the snake was
removed, the flaps and any other grease still there slowed the flow to a
trickle.
Anyway, all is well, and I thank everyone for their suggestions.

You're velcome.

Now, prevention. Besides limiting the grease, and using cold water when
grease is flushed, are there any drain cleaners that are particularly
effective in maintaining clean, less greasy pipes?
Thanks,
Pete

Wow! This becomes my night to disagree with two posters on the same night.
Again, no offense intended.
Emulsify your grease with soap and cold water before sending it down the
drain. The clots come where the pipe cools enough to allow it. Cold water
doesn't cool. The suspended grease will pass to the sewer.
Just think about it. Think and understand.

I'm thinkin' but I don't understand. Seems to me in cold water they
are at least as likely to pile up behind other clumps of grease.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
[...]

to clear grease pour boiling water down drains, it liquifies the
grease and moves it along.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
[...]

When you start with a clean open line the cold water carries the sludge to
the city sewer and it does not collect at the cool point of the line.
Modern plastic pipes are much more forgiving than the old iron ones.
Flushing a line by filling the sink before pulling the plug at least once a
week also helps. It is a matter of volume. Soap scum can build up over time
in a half bath because no one ever fills the bowl before draining.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-01-08, mm wrote:

What are all these greasy black flaps? What are they from? I don't
put black flaps down my drain. I don't even have any to put.

I noticed something like that I'm my kitchen pipe once. I was under the
impression that they were some sort of fungal growths, like those disk-like
fungi that grow on trees.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 00:45:58 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-01-08, wrote:

What are all these greasy black flaps? What are they from? I don't
put black flaps down my drain. I don't even have any to put.

I noticed something like that I'm my kitchen pipe once. I was under the
impression that they were some sort of fungal growths, like those disk-like
fungi that grow on trees.

Splash guard (or whatever they are called) on the drain to the disposal?
We had them, old and rotting.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 2011-01-08, wrote:

What are all these greasy black flaps? What are they from? I don't
put black flaps down my drain. I don't even have any to put.

I noticed something like that I'm my kitchen pipe once. I was under the
impression that they were some sort of fungal growths, like those disk-like
fungi that grow on trees.

Splash guard (or whatever they are called) on the drain to the disposal?
We had them, old and rotting.

I thought about that, but how could they get through the disposal to
the pipe? And still be triangular?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds more environmentally friendly than crystal
drano. Of course, the grease will move "down the
line" and congeal on some other pipe. Which may
clog later, and be even more expensive. And we'll
be watching!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bryce"
wrote in message

to clear grease pour boiling water down drains, it
liquifies the grease and moves it along.......

I use a 3-gallon sprinkling can with nozzle removed. Fill
with water, bring to boiling on stove. I pour some
detergent (TSP, ...) down the drain, then all of the hot
water. Once every 4-8 weeks keeps my kitchen drain open.