Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen drain pipe - snake goes through easily, but not water?

When kitchen drains clog, it's typically grease from
cooking. The snake "should" have cleared it. As to drain
chemicals, you need lye or other alkalines to clear the
grease. Look for the word "hydroxide" on the label. I'd want
Red Devil lye, or Crystal Drano, both of which are sodium
hydroxide base.

Another plan is to reconnect the pipe, and pour in boiling
water from the teakettle. Might not work in your case, it
will take a lot of water to heat up a garbage disposal, and
the disposal might not be safe with boiling water.

Have you called a priest?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete"
wrote in message

Yes, the snake came out in the basement. It's a cable snake
with a half
inch spiral wire end. I've snaked it with water in it. In
fact, I had
the snake all the way through to the basement and filled the
pipe at the
same time (with an inverted elbow piece). I pulled the snake
back out,
and the water still drizzle out in the basement. I'm
thinking gremlins.