Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Kitchen drain pipe - snake goes through easily, but not water?

Pete wrote in
:

On 1/8/2011 12:05 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the
kitchen disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in
the basement (where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe
that's fortunately runs over my wash basin). So I've got a run of
only about 6 or 7 feet of pipe that I snaked. Snaking went easy,
with the cable end coming out the end of the pipe with very little
gunk. So, I pour water down the pipe under the sink and it just
trickles out in the basement! I've snaked it 3 more times, and still
the water flow out the end of the pipe in the basement is about a
quart every 10 minutes. Any ideas?

WAG here, but are you sure you're interpreting what you're observing
correctly? Perhaps you cleared the clog, and when you pour water down
the open pipe under the sink, it now runs right through and down the
wash basin in the basement. By the time you get to the basement, it's
gone, so you don't see it. Meanwhile, there's a slow leak in the
bathroom upstairs, the one that connects, IIRC, to the kitchen sink
drain, and it's *that* water that's trickling out at the rate of 1
quart per ten minutes as you mentioned in a later post.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm sure. I've used a pan in the wash
basin to catch what I'm putting in from above & used red food coloring
to make sure it's the same water. The water in the pan is the same red
color and the same amount as put in from the top.

I think I'll try that wire attached to the cable end mentioned by a
couple other posters.

My bathtub drain goes almost horizontal quite a ways, and it accumulates
loose gunk that slows the drain. I get the same symptoms as you that
snakeing doesn't really seem to do anything. So I use something like
Drano, let it sit a while, then flush it and after a bit use a plunger
actively to loosen up the semi-released gunk and rinse it away. This
sees to work for almost alf a year at a time.

--
Best regards
Han