Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Kitchen drain pipe - snake goes through easily, but not water?

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 21:05:10 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Pete wrote:

I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the kitchen
disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in the basement
(where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe that's fortunately
runs over my wash basin). So I've got a run of only about 6 or 7 feet of
pipe that I snaked. Snaking went easy, with the cable end coming out the
end of the pipe with very little gunk. So, I pour water down the pipe
under the sink and it just trickles out in the basement! I've snaked it
3 more times, and still the water flow out the end of the pipe in the
basement is about a quart every 10 minutes. Any ideas?

WAG here, but are you sure you're interpreting what you're observing
correctly? Perhaps you cleared the clog, and when you pour water down
the open pipe under the sink, it now runs right through and down the
wash basin in the basement. By the time you get to the basement, it's
gone, so you don't see it. Meanwhile, there's a slow leak in the
bathroom upstairs, the one that connects, IIRC, to the kitchen sink
drain, and it's *that* water that's trickling out at the rate of 1 quart
per ten minutes as you mentioned in a later post.

ARe you saying I can't do all my repairs by myself? You might be
right so I guess in the OP's shoes I woudl plug the basement sink and
see how much is there when I got there.