Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete[_13_] Pete[_13_] is offline

Default SUCCESS! Kitchen drain pipe - snake goes through easily, butnot water?

On 1/7/2011 9:22 PM, Tegger wrote:
"hr(bob) wrote in
:

Attach some fairly stiff wire to the end of the snake once you get it
coming out in the basement, bend the wire so it is at least 1/2 the
diameter of the pipe, and then fill the pipe with water and spin the
snake while pulling it back up, keep the water filled. That way, as
you come back up and dislodge anything, it is free from that point
down to the basement end. What you are doing may loosen something,
but then it clogs back up. My way will give whatever is clogging the
pipe an open pathway from the clog point into the basement.

I like that idea. He's got access from both ends of the clog, so he might
as well take advantage of it.

OK, I poured some more of the drain cleaner last night. This morning I
snaked again and a bit of gunk came out. I tried attaching some wire and
backing out the snake. More gunk came out, but the wire twirled off the
spiral cable wire. So I reattached some more wire and went back down
with snake - a lot of gunk came out. I then flushed the pipe again with
a sinkful of hot water and lots of Dawn, and that really did it. Lots of
crud, and free flowing water!

I noticed in the gunk there were a number of greasy black flaps. My
suspicion at this point is that the flaps were partially stuck to the
walls of the pipe, but the unstuck sections blocked the smooth flow of
water. The snake probably got through them OK, but once the snake was
removed, the flaps and any other grease still there slowed the flow to a
trickle.

Anyway, all is well, and I thank everyone for their suggestions.

Now, prevention. Besides limiting the grease, and using cold water when
grease is flushed, are there any drain cleaners that are particularly
effective in maintaining clean, less greasy pipes?

Thanks,
Pete