Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete[_13_] Pete[_13_] is offline

Default Kitchen drain pipe - snake goes through easily, but not water?

On 1/7/2011 7:55 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 19:29:17 -0500, wrote:

On 1/7/2011 6:49 PM, Pete wrote:
On 1/7/2011 6:27 PM, Country wrote:
On Jan 7, 5:24 pm, wrote:
I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the kitchen
disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in the basement
(where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe that's fortunately
runs over my wash basin). So I've got a run of only about 6 or 7 feet of
pipe that I snaked. Snaking went easy, with the cable end coming out the
end of the pipe with very little gunk. So, I pour water down the pipe
under the sink and it just trickles out in the basement! I've snaked it
3 more times, and still the water flow out the end of the pipe in the
basement is about a quart every 10 minutes. Any ideas?

Ventilation?

-C-
Showing my ignorance here, but I'm not sure. The pipe goes in the wall
and behind cabinet a foot or so and down from there. The bathroom's
right above the kitchen, so it's possible there's a vent pipe that ties
to the bathroom. Just guessing.

Showing my ignorance here again, but even if there was no vent pipe, I
don't understand how that could be a factor in this case. I've removed
the p-trap. I would think that with the pipe under the sink wide open,
lack of a vent pipe wouldn't impede the water flow.

A flat wire snake just poking a hole through gunk might end up with
the results you describe.
A typical spiral wire snake shouldn't.
Have you snaked while the drain piping is loaded with water, or poked
a hose running with water while pausing your snaking?

Seems odd to me. You're right about venting. If the drain is open
it's to the kitchen, it's vented.
When you say the snake came out of the end, you mean in the basement,
right?

--Vic

Yes, the snake came out in the basement. It's a cable snake with a half
inch spiral wire end. I've snaked it with water in it. In fact, I had
the snake all the way through to the basement and filled the pipe at the
same time (with an inverted elbow piece). I pulled the snake back out,
and the water still drizzle out in the basement. I'm thinking gremlins.