Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default SUCCESS! Kitchen drain pipe - snake goes through easily, but not water?

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 17:37:38 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
OK, I poured some more of the drain cleaner last night. This morning I
snaked again and a bit of gunk came out. I tried attaching some wire and
backing out the snake. More gunk came out, but the wire twirled off the
spiral cable wire. So I reattached some more wire and went back down with
snake - a lot of gunk came out. I then flushed the pipe again with a
sinkful of hot water and lots of Dawn, and that really did it. Lots of
crud, and free flowing water!

I noticed in the gunk there were a number of greasy black flaps. My

What are all these greasy black flaps? What are they from? I don't
put black flaps down my drain. I don't even have any to put.

And how do they get by the garbage disposal? In other words, how big
are they, what are they, and how do you get them?

suspicion at this point is that the flaps were partially stuck to the
walls of the pipe, but the unstuck sections blocked the smooth flow of
water. The snake probably got through them OK, but once the snake was
removed, the flaps and any other grease still there slowed the flow to a
trickle.
Anyway, all is well, and I thank everyone for their suggestions.

You're velcome.

Now, prevention. Besides limiting the grease, and using cold water when
grease is flushed, are there any drain cleaners that are particularly
effective in maintaining clean, less greasy pipes?
Thanks,
Pete

Wow! This becomes my night to disagree with two posters on the same night.
Again, no offense intended.
Emulsify your grease with soap and cold water before sending it down the
drain. The clots come where the pipe cools enough to allow it. Cold water
doesn't cool. The suspended grease will pass to the sewer.
Just think about it. Think and understand.

I'm thinkin' but I don't understand. Seems to me in cold water they
are at least as likely to pile up behind other clumps of grease.