Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete[_13_] Pete[_13_] is offline

Default Kitchen drain pipe - snake goes through easily, but not water?

On 1/7/2011 6:24 PM, Pete wrote:
I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the kitchen
disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in the basement
(where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe that's fortunately
runs over my wash basin). So I've got a run of only about 6 or 7 feet of
pipe that I snaked. Snaking went easy, with the cable end coming out the
end of the pipe with very little gunk. So, I pour water down the pipe
under the sink and it just trickles out in the basement! I've snaked it
3 more times, and still the water flow out the end of the pipe in the
basement is about a quart every 10 minutes. Any ideas?

BTW, I also poured a pint of Pequa drain opener in the pipe, which also
trickled out at the same rate. I let it sit for 2 or 3 hours, but still
the same results.