Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaking joints of kitchen drain pipe

Recently my kitchen sink started backing up into an old pipe. It was cut
and sealed outside at the main drainage pipe. Now the next joint up is
leaking. Do I need to replace the whole pipe or seal it? Could a blockage
in the drainage line be causing it to back up? I am worried because this
pipe is located against the wall of my house and runs thru my utility room
with the hot water heater and circuit breakers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Henley wrote:

Recently my kitchen sink started backing up into an old pipe. It was cut
and sealed outside at the main drainage pipe. Now the next joint up is
leaking. Do I need to replace the whole pipe or seal it? Could a blockage
in the drainage line be causing it to back up? I am worried because this
pipe is located against the wall of my house and runs thru my utility room
with the hot water heater and circuit breakers.

A blockage could well be causing it to back up and leak there.
Caulk it, maybe, as a temp measure.
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Henley wrote:
Recently my kitchen sink started backing up into an old pipe. It was
cut and sealed outside at the main drainage pipe. Now the next joint
up is leaking. Do I need to replace the whole pipe or seal it? Could
a blockage in the drainage line be causing it to back up? I am
worried because this pipe is located against the wall of my house and
runs thru my utility room with the hot water heater and circuit
breakers.

I suggest you find what was and is causing the blockage and back up.
You don't fix a leak caused by a backup by sealing the leak, at least you
don't do it if you want it properly fixed. I may have it wrong, but it
sounds like you are trying to fix the symptom not the cause. Sort of like
sitting on a tack, and taking a pain pill rather than standing up.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Kitchen drain leaking between Garbage disposal and old brass pipe outlet [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 15th 06 04:42 PM
Leaking Pipe - need to drain water.(GCH pipe) need some advice. Joe Bloggs UK diy 5 November 2nd 06 01:21 AM
Plumbing question: getting piece of broken pipe out of drain pipe Joe Home Repair 2 October 22nd 06 03:53 AM
soil pipe joints nafuk UK diy 3 August 9th 06 11:41 AM
Looking for opinions on pipe joints RB Home Repair 7 February 16th 04 03:58 AM