Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Plumbing question: getting piece of broken pipe out of drain pipe

I started what I thought would be a ten minute job this morning of
disconnecting my trap under my bathroom sink to clean it out so my
basin would drain a little quicker. Well when I disconnected the tap
the extension pipe broke off. I have another pipe to replace it but the
part that broke off is still in the drain pipe. I don't know how to get
the metal out that is covering the grooves. Usually you can do this
with an ice pick but the metal is not corroded enough and I can't get
any leverage from underneath. I tried to remove the whole piece but it
seems like it's all one piece. I'm including pictures. I can't find a
seam where these pieces disconnect from each other. There goes my
Saturday...

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8035/dscf0571gg9.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4061/dscf0572le0.jpg

http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/96/dscf0573ca1.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
[...]

The brass popup section is threaded into the chrome
drain fitting on top. You'll probably hack the
chrome if you try to unscrew it.

Part that broke off is a tailpiece that looks like:
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...readedtail.jpg
(threaded at one end)

Try pulling a fine-tooth hacksaw blade across the
remaining part. You may not have to cut all the
way thru to weaken it enough to pull it out.

Use Loctite to seal the threads of the new
tailpiece; will work even if you do damage
to the brass part.

Use silicone caulk (RTV) liberally on the
old rubber gasket. On top, make a ring of
plumbers putty to seal the chrom fitting to
sink opening. Dry everything first with
a hair dryer.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Thanks a lot Jim, especially for the hacksaw tip, it came out
perfectly and the threads were intact. I put it all back together as
instructed. I'll give it overnight to dry and check back tomorrow.