Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default My amazing little Snow Joe blower

I have a little house in NYC so it never really paid for me to get a
snow blower. But I'm getting near 60 and decided that I really didn't
want to be lifting snow anymore. So last month I investigated some
snow blowers and ended up getting a small electric model called a Snow
Joe. Under $200, 13.5 amps, 18" width and around 10" intake height.

We got 18" of snow on Sunday and my little Snow Joe was overwhelmed
but performed heroically. It took a bit to figure out the best way to
approach that much snow, but once I did, Snow Joe did all that I could
ask. It did my driveway, my neighbor's driveway, and the sidewalk in
front of four houses (elderly neighbors).

It certainly wasn't effortless and I can see that having powered
wheels would make things oh so much easier, but really, for that
price, I couldn't have expected anything more.

This isn't to say that a Toro or some gas-powered monster wouldn't
have been better, but they cost a lot more. Nor do I know that this
won't die in the middle of the next storm; I certainly kept fearing
that it would die in this one but each time it was just the plug
coming loose.

And, best of all, the Significant Other has apologized for referring
to it as my "new toy". Ah, sweet victory!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

I just bought a Toro Snow Shovel electric snow blower. Now I need some snow
to try it out. Only have a double wide driveway and a 42 x 13 deck that is
12 feet above ground. Need to shoot the snow over the railing. Instructions
say it will toss snow 15 feet. Only cost $100 at Ace Hardware. Will update
if I ever get to use it. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 9:22*am, dgk wrote:
[...]

That's easy to prevent. See he

http://0.tqn.com/d/homerepair/1/5/5/D/-/-/cord_lock.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:

I have a little house in NYC so it never really paid for me to get a
snow blower. But I'm getting near 60 and decided that I really didn't
want to be lifting snow anymore. So last month I investigated some
snow blowers and ended up getting a small electric model called a Snow
Joe. Under $200, 13.5 amps, 18" width and around 10" intake height.

I've had the Toro version for many years. It just gets used now for
super wet snows, cutting the tops off snowbanks, or when my old beast
dies. But I did a lot of snow for 3 winters with just the electric
Toro.

We got 18" of snow on Sunday and my little Snow Joe was overwhelmed
but performed heroically. It took a bit to figure out the best way to
approach that much snow, but once I did, Snow Joe did all that I could
ask. It did my driveway, my neighbor's driveway, and the sidewalk in
front of four houses (elderly neighbors).

The first pass is tough-- but usually you can shave edges off to do
the rest. I put drift cutters on mine. Just screwed some
1/8x3/4 stock to each side. It will cut through a 24" bank. [or
tunnel through a 36"g]

It certainly wasn't effortless and I can see that having powered
wheels would make things oh so much easier, but really, for that
price, I couldn't have expected anything more.

This isn't to say that a Toro or some gas-powered monster wouldn't
have been better, but they cost a lot more. Nor do I know that this
won't die in the middle of the next storm; I certainly kept fearing
that it would die in this one but each time it was just the plug
coming loose.

I'm betting that the single stage in your area might be the better
choice. It works better on wet snow than a 2-stage-- and you
don't need to worry about storing gas & oil. And you can work on
the things, literally; 'on the kitchen table'.

And, best of all, the Significant Other has apologized for referring
to it as my "new toy". Ah, sweet victory!

I like mine because it is quiet enough and 'friendly' enough that both
my wife and kids have taken it for a spin or two. They won't touch
the 40 yr old, 7HP Bolens.

I'm not familiar with the snow joe- but suggest you get a spare paddle
and whatever breaks when you grab a large rock. I couldn't find
any parts locally for my electric Toro & had to wait a week the first
time around. Now I keep spare skids, paddle, blade, and the crazy
shear-mechanism on hand.

They are incredible little machines.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote:
-snip-
I just bought a Toro Snow Shovel electric snow blower. Now I need some snow
to try it out. Only have a double wide driveway and a 42 x 13 deck that is
12 feet above ground. Need to shoot the snow over the railing. Instructions
say it will toss snow 15 feet. Only cost $100 at Ace Hardware. Will update
if I ever get to use it. WW

Let us know. But hopefully your preparedness will keep the snow-Gods
at bay.

I picked one up a yard sale years ago & thought it was more work than
shoveling. It was fairly heavy & only took a 6" swath or so.

OTOH- My 12amp, 18" electric Toro is a little work horse. [the new
ones are 15ap & $300 on Amazon]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:20:40 -0500, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"WW" wrote:
-snip-
I just bought a Toro Snow Shovel electric snow blower. Now I need some snow
to try it out. Only have a double wide driveway and a 42 x 13 deck that is
12 feet above ground. Need to shoot the snow over the railing. Instructions
say it will toss snow 15 feet. Only cost $100 at Ace Hardware. Will update
if I ever get to use it. WW

Let us know. But hopefully your preparedness will keep the snow-Gods
at bay.

I picked one up a yard sale years ago & thought it was more work than
shoveling. It was fairly heavy & only took a 6" swath or so.

My mother gave me one of those, er, 25 years ago. I found exactly the same
thing. The first time I tried it we had 3-4' drifts. I tried to top the
drifts and the snow flew right back in my face. It was more work than
shoveling and when it might have been useful, it choked on the snow. I really
never used it.

OTOH- My 12amp, 18" electric Toro is a little work horse. [the new
ones are 15ap & $300 on Amazon]

I suppose, like an electric lawn mower, if all you have is a postage stamp to
do, electric works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WW wrote the following:
"dgk" wrote in message

[...]

That depends upon the wetness of the snow My tractor mounted snow blower
will toss dry snow 30 feet, with wet snow, maybe 10 feet..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had similar experience with my electric snowblower. Takes
some getting used to. I learned to "bump" it into the snow,
and then pull back when the motor slows down. Blow the snow
with the wind. It does amazing work, and is much easier than
shovelling. I later got a gas snow blower. Reminds me, I've
got to gas it up some day and get it going.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 9:22*am, dgk wrote:
[...]

I hate cords.

Until either DeWalt or B&D comes out with an 18V Snow Blower so I can
use the batteries from my tools or trimmer, I'll stick with my 2

Shovels or my Ariens Sno Tek 24"

I wonder how long an 18V Snow Blower would last. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2010 12:52 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:20:40 -0500, Jim wrote:

wrote:
-snip-
[...]

There's a snow blower and a snow thrower. The former augers it out of
the way and the latter augers it to a thrower which tosses it out. The
snow joe appears to be an electric thrower. Electric blowers, as far as
I know, can't handle more than a few inches of snow. It takes a thrower
to handle deep snow. Nothing electric is going to be as powerful as a
gasoline powered unit. Also note that electric units don't appear to be
self propelled so there would be more work involved in pushing it into
the snow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:55:18 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 29, 9:22*am, dgk wrote:
[...]

Which would you use and auger bit or a spade bit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:25:42 -0500, Frank
wrote:

On 12/29/2010 12:52 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:20:40 -0500, Jim wrote:

wrote:
-snip-
[...]

The two words have always been used interchangeably. The difference is
usually delineated as single-stage vs. two-stage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 2:25*pm, Frank wrote:
.... major snip ...

There's a snow blower and a snow thrower. *

I don't believe that that is true...at least I am unable to find any
definition that distinguishes between a snowblower and a snowthrower.
They seem to be used interchangably although "snowblower" seems to be
more common.

The former augers it out of
the way and the latter augers it to a thrower which tosses it out. *

Actually, the terms which distinguish the 2 different types of
snowblowers are "Single Stage" and "Two Stage".

A "single-stage" machine has an auger only and the shape of the auger
housing directs the snow up and out of the chute.

A two-stage machine has an auger and an impeller. The shape of the
auger housing directs the snow to the impeller, which rotates at a
right angle to the auger. The impeller breaks the snow up into smaller
pieces and throws it (usually farther).

Check out this site, where the more common term of "snowblower" is
prevalent, yet they talk about Single Stage units vs. Two-Stage units
on a regular basis.

http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/index.php

Of course, we should not neglect (or maybe we should!) the Power
Shovel which does not even have a chute. The auger just moves the snow
forward as you push it along.

The
snow joe appears to be an electric thrower. *

Well, OK, but it's also an electric blower.

Electric blowers, as far as
I know, can't handle more than a few inches of snow. *It takes a thrower
to handle deep snow.

Again, "electric" is the issue, not blower vs thrower.

Nothing electric is going to be as powerful as a
gasoline powered unit. *Also note that electric units don't appear to be
self propelled so there would be more work involved in pushing it into
the snow.-

True dat!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:44:33 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 29, 2:25Â*pm, Frank wrote:
... major snip ...

There's a snow blower and a snow thrower. Â*

I don't believe that that is true...at least I am unable to find any
definition that distinguishes between a snowblower and a snowthrower.
They seem to be used interchangably although "snowblower" seems to be
more common.

The former augers it out of
the way and the latter augers it to a thrower which tosses it out. Â*

Generally the reverse. A single stage unit is generally refered to as
a "thrower" because it just grabs it and throws it. A 2 stage has a
high speed fan or "blower" whach ejects the snow which has been ground
up by the auger and fed into the blower stage.

Actually, the terms which distinguish the 2 different types of
snowblowers are "Single Stage" and "Two Stage".

A "single-stage" machine has an auger only and the shape of the auger
housing directs the snow up and out of the chute.

When it has a chute. A lot of the "electric snow shovel" type either
just throw it forward or have directional vanes that shift it one way
or the other. Most (but cetainly not all) of the gasoline powered
single stage throwers have a chute

A two-stage machine has an auger and an impeller. The shape of the
auger housing directs the snow to the impeller, which rotates at a
right angle to the auger. The impeller breaks the snow up into smaller
pieces and throws it (usually farther).

Check out this site, where the more common term of "snowblower" is
prevalent, yet they talk about Single Stage units vs. Two-Stage units
on a regular basis.

http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/index.php

Of course, we should not neglect (or maybe we should!) the Power
Shovel which does not even have a chute. The auger just moves the snow
forward as you push it along.

The
snow joe appears to be an electric thrower. Â*

Well, OK, but it's also an electric blower.

Electric blowers, as far as
I know, can't handle more than a few inches of snow. Â*It takes a thrower
to handle deep snow.

Again, "electric" is the issue, not blower vs thrower.

Nothing electric is going to be as powerful as a
gasoline powered unit. Â*Also note that electric units don't appear to be
self propelled so there would be more work involved in pushing it into
the snow.-

True dat!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There's a snow blower and a snow thrower. The former augers it out of
the way and the latter augers it to a thrower which tosses it out. The
snow joe appears to be an electric thrower. Electric blowers, as far as
I know, can't handle more than a few inches of snow. It takes a thrower
to handle deep snow. Nothing electric is going to be as powerful as a
gasoline powered unit. Also note that electric units don't appear to be
self propelled so there would be more work involved in pushing it into
the snow.

The two words have always been used interchangeably. The difference is
usually delineated as single-stage vs. two-stage.

I had a couple snow-blowers/throwers( pick your word) about 10 years
ago.
Dad of a friend at work was retired and picked them up at garage sales
and fixed them up for sale.
One cost me $50 and the other $75. Bought both at the same time,
since I figured with a corner lot with a plenty of sidewalk and a wide
2-car driveway they would come in handy.
They were about 20" wide.
One with an auger and electric start, the other with a flapper and
rope start.
Tossed them after about 3 years, both broke and I didn't want to fix
them, as they took too much room for the work they did.
Kid broke a handle side rail on the auger model by man-handling it in
deep snow - no patience.
The flapper model just needed a new rope, which broke.
Don't remember the brands, but both had decent engines.
2-strokes.
Both always started, but the electric start sure was easier to get
going.

While they were down we found shovels worked almost as fast but with a
little more effort, and they don't need gas, take up space, etc.
Neither threw snow more than 3 feet, most snow getting thrown about 2
feet., and not high either.
Almost useless for the driveway, but did the sidewalks okay.

I liked the flapper more, as it really cleaned the sidewalks.
Auger left maybe a 1/4" layer of snow to ice up later.
Don't know the value of driven wheels except in snow higher than the
intakes - that's where my kid broke the handle by horsing it through.
I was running the flapper taking small bites and backing off and had
no problem except "slow."
Seemed to me when the snow wasn't over the intake the things basically
pulled themselves through the snow and were easy to push.

Now you guys got me thinking about getting a good snow removal
machine. I bet I'll get more exercise.
Sort of allergic to shovels, so usually the wife and a kid shovel.
Of course for this to work I'll have to make a solemn vow not to teach
my wife how to use the snow machine, and that nobody touches it but
me.

--Vic

..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Dec 29, 2:25*pm, Frank wrote:
... major snip ...

There's a snow blower and a snow thrower. *

I don't believe that that is true...at least I am unable to find any
definition that distinguishes between a snowblower and a snowthrower.
They seem to be used interchangably although "snowblower" seems to be
more common.

The former augers it out of
the way and the latter augers it to a thrower which tosses it out. *

**
Generally the reverse. A single stage unit is generally refered to as
a "thrower" because it just grabs it and throws it. A 2 stage has a
high speed fan or "blower" whach ejects the snow which has been ground
up by the auger and fed into the blower stage.

Can you show me where a 'single stage unit is generally refered to as
a "thrower" '

I'm not arguing, I just haven't been able to find a definitive answer
to the question.

Our old, yet untrustworthy, friend Wikipedia say things like "The term
"snow thrower" is often used to encompass snow throwers and snow
blowers, however, in proper usage a snow thrower is a machine that
uses a single stage to remove or "throw" snow while a snowblower uses
two stages to remove or "blow" snow."

Where I disagree is with the term "proper usage". I don't believe that
there really is a "proper usage" for the terms.

In fact, places that actually sell the machines do not always make the
distinction. For example, this site use the terms interchangeably for
both single-stage and two-stage machines:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...l+snow-blowers

This site uses only snowthrower for both:

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/s...55003_55003_-1

This site seems all confused, in some cases using Snowblower as the
category heading and then using Snowthrower to describe the two-stage
units.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/sno...arts_index.cfm

Actually, *the terms which distinguish the 2 different types of
snowblowers are "Single Stage" and "Two Stage".

A "single-stage" machine has an auger only and the shape of the auger
housing directs the snow up and out of the chute.

When it has a chute. A lot of the "electric snow shovel" type either
just throw it forward or have directional vanes that shift it one way
or the other. Most (but cetainly not all) of the gasoline powered
single stage throwers have a chute

Which is what I stated below when I said "Of course, we should not
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 08:24:57 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 29, 9:22*am, dgk wrote:
[...]

Clever, but only for part of it did I need a second extention cord and
that connection never weakened. It was the connection into the Snow
Joe that kept coming loose. There is some sort of flapper thing that
you run the cord through so that it won't come loose:

http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/pro...?modelNo=SJ620

It's that thing hanging off the handle just above the second
cross-bar. I didn't use it right though obviously. I'll figure it out
before the next snowfall. I hope.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:16:45 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

The first pass is tough-- but usually you can shave edges off to do
the rest. I put drift cutters on mine. Just screwed some
1/8x3/4 stock to each side. It will cut through a 24" bank. [or
tunnel through a 36"g]

That's what I found worked well. Force through the first path, and
then just keep edging 4-6" or so into it. A drift cutter is an
interesting idea, but I'm hoping we don't get many more snows like
that.

It certainly wasn't effortless and I can see that having powered
wheels would make things oh so much easier, but really, for that
price, I couldn't have expected anything more.

This isn't to say that a Toro or some gas-powered monster wouldn't
have been better, but they cost a lot more. Nor do I know that this
won't die in the middle of the next storm; I certainly kept fearing
that it would die in this one but each time it was just the plug
coming loose.

I'm betting that the single stage in your area might be the better
choice. It works better on wet snow than a 2-stage-- and you
don't need to worry about storing gas & oil. And you can work on
the things, literally; 'on the kitchen table'.

It was throwing the snow at least 10 feet - but it was so windy (~40
mph) that all it needed to do was get it up a few feet and that snow
was GONE.

And, best of all, the Significant Other has apologized for referring
to it as my "new toy". Ah, sweet victory!

I like mine because it is quiet enough and 'friendly' enough that both
my wife and kids have taken it for a spin or two. They won't touch
the 40 yr old, 7HP Bolens.

I'm not familiar with the snow joe- but suggest you get a spare paddle
and whatever breaks when you grab a large rock. I couldn't find
any parts locally for my electric Toro & had to wait a week the first
time around. Now I keep spare skids, paddle, blade, and the crazy
shear-mechanism on hand.

They are incredible little machines.

Jim

I'm not likely to hit a rock, I'm plowing a driveway and sidewalk -
but I did read in some reviews that it was a problem getting
replacement belts. The manual has instructions for replacing:

Rubber Plates
Scraper Bar
Belt
Skid Shoes

So it's probably a good idea to get those at least.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

On 12/29/2010 12:52 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:20:40 -0500, Jim wrote:

-snip-

OTOH- My 12amp, 18" electric Toro is a little work horse. [the new
ones are 15ap& $300 on Amazon]

I suppose, like an electric lawn mower, if all you have is a postage stamp to
do, electric works.

Just for the record-- My postage stamp is a 2 car wide driveway 150'
long. It has 2 turn arounds- and is on a wide state road so there is
plenty of 'end of driveway'. Plus about 100' of sidewalk-- and I
make a path around the house for the oil & gas deliveries- and the
dog.

We get an average of 80" of snow a year-- but the last year I used
just the electric, we got over 100"- a couple storms were over 18".

There's a snow blower and a snow thrower. The former augers it out of
the way and the latter augers it to a thrower which tosses it out. The
snow joe appears to be an electric thrower.

It is an electric single stage blower- much like my Toro 12amp.

Electric blowers, as far as
I know, can't handle more than a few inches of snow.

Up to 6" of snow, the 12amp Toro is as fast as my 24" 7HP gas 2 stage.
It is just narrower & I need to drag a cord around. Part of the
reason they get so much power into throwing the snow is they only
handle it once-- and no power is used to move the machinery.

6" or more of very wet snow-- and I challenge anyone with a 2 stage
gas blower to keep up with the 12-15amp electric.

Once you get over a foot, the Snow Joe/Toro class of electrics lose
some of their 'luster'. In packed snow they don't work well at all.
[just break it up with a shovel, and scrape the pavement clean with
the little guys]

A couple things that I can do with my electric, and not my big gas
blower;
1. Cutting the tops off the snowbanks when they get over 8" high at
the end of driveway-- Just pick it up in one hand, and watch it dig
its way down- tossing that old snow 40feet into the woods.
2. Or doing the steps like it was a shovel.
3. Or emptying the puddle that sometimes forms at the bottom of the
driveway. [I'm on a hill and the state uses a ton of salt- sometimes
the river runs into the driveway. The single stage will toss that
slushy water right over the snowbanks.

It takes a thrower
to handle deep snow. Nothing electric is going to be as powerful as a
gasoline powered unit. Also note that electric units don't appear to be
self propelled so there would be more work involved in pushing it into
the snow.

On the level, they pull themselves into the snow. Not so much on a
steep hill-- but enough so it took a *lot* of snow to encourage me
into re-incarnating my old gas blower.

I'm with the OP-- For $300 or so, they are *amazing* little machines.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-
This site seems all confused, in some cases using Snowblower as the
category heading and then using Snowthrower to describe the two-stage
units.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/sno...arts_index.cfm

I'll just say on the 'thrower' vs 'blower' terminology, that I think
one of the terms was in use when some company with a big market share
started using the other to set themselves apart. [Ariens??? 1950's??]

But as for Jack's-- Great business-- lousy website.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:

-snip-
Joe that kept coming loose. There is some sort of flapper thing that
you run the cord through so that it won't come loose:

http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/pro...?modelNo=SJ620

That's a nice looking machine. I looked at them 5-6 years ago and
they were a lot more 'Toy-like'. [The one with a headlight is $189
on Amazon-- $10 less than the un-headlighted one?g]

It's that thing hanging off the handle just above the second
cross-bar. I didn't use it right though obviously. I'll figure it out
before the next snowfall. I hope.

I just tie a loose 1/2hitch in the cord around the handle to take the
weight off the plug. I do it with the Toro blower and the Remington
tiller I use. They each have different, but equally ineffective ways
of holding the cord.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 10:17*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

This site seems all confused, in some cases using Snowblower as the
category heading and then using Snowthrower to describe the two-stage
units.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/sno...arts_index.cfm

I'll just say on the 'thrower' vs 'blower' terminology, that I think
one of the terms was in use when some company with a big market share
started using the other to set themselves apart. [Ariens??? 1950's??]

But as for Jack's-- * Great business-- lousy website.

Jim

"[Ariens??? 1950's??]"

Ariens used "thrower" from '52 through '79, even specifically saying
"Throw (not blow) Snow" in their earliest brochures:

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/Snow...79_kTNvm-O.jpg

However, on their website today they say:

"Whether you call them snow blowers or snow throwers you can call
Ariens The King of Snow®"

If you click on the either of those terms, you go to the same webpage
describing their models.

For a pretty neat collection of Ariens brohures from days gone by,
check out this site:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottyc...ns/Page12.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 11:21*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 30, 10:17*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/Snow...dster-wallace0...

However, on their website today they say:

"Whether you call them snow blowers or snow throwers you can call
Ariens The King of Snow®"

If you click on the either of those terms, you go to the same webpage
describing their models.

For a pretty neat collection of Ariens brohures from days gone by,
check out this site:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottyc...s/Page12.html- Hide quoted text -

OK, I have the definitive answer to this pressing issue.

I started a discussion about these terminology options at http://www.opeonthenet.com
("The Best Snowblower & Lawnmower Forum.")

snowblower
snow blower
snowthrower
snow thrower

After a few back and forths in the forum and some on-line dictionary
searches, I finally concluded:

"I'm sticking with snowblower 'cuz it's easier to say and easier to
type."

A moderator responded with:

"We did the same thing when discussing this site name. So that makes
it official. ;-) "

Great minds apparently *do* think alike!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:25:42 -0500, Frank
wrote:

snip
[...]

There was something wrong with them or it always "slushed" rather than snowed.
You should be able to get 7'-15' vertical lift and perhaps 30' or more
horizontal throw from even a small two-stage blower. Enough that they have a
snout to direct the flow, to limit the distance. I could *easily* throw snow
into my neighbor's driveway, even though they were separated by at least 30'
(15' setbacks, IIRC).

I liked the flapper more, as it really cleaned the sidewalks.
Auger left maybe a 1/4" layer of snow to ice up later.

They will leave some. There are generally skids on the front to adjust this.
You don't want the bottom edge of the auger chamber to catch on surface
irregularities.

Don't know the value of driven wheels except in snow higher than the
intakes - that's where my kid broke the handle by horsing it through.

Large blowers are very heavy. Driven wheels make them manageable in all
circumstances. I tried to not have to go through snow deeper than the auger.
In large snow storms I'd do several passes during the storm. About 6" at a
pass was optimum. Any more and it got to be work. Any less and it wasn't
worth the extra pass, though I'd generally do a pass before going to bed.

I was running the flapper taking small bites and backing off and had
no problem except "slow."
Seemed to me when the snow wasn't over the intake the things basically
pulled themselves through the snow and were easy to push.

Now you guys got me thinking about getting a good snow removal
machine. I bet I'll get more exercise.
Sort of allergic to shovels, so usually the wife and a kid shovel.
Of course for this to work I'll have to make a solemn vow not to teach
my wife how to use the snow machine, and that nobody touches it but
me.

I had two, in the 15 years I lived in Vermont. The first lasted thirteen but
the wheel bearings wore out and they aren't replaceable so bought a left-over
in the middle of the season, cheap (sold it when we moved South). The second
one was much larger (10-11HP, don't remember) had a "cab" thing to protect the
user from wind (and blowing snow). That was a really nice feature.

I taught our, then, teenager how to use it, but he didn't do it often. It was
easy enough to do it myself. The big thing is to *NEVER* reach into the
thing, even when it's off. Use a stick to clear it (had one set aside for
this purpose).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 1:22*pm, "
wrote:

....and then major snippage ensued...

I had two, in the 15 years I lived in Vermont. *The first lasted thirteen but
the wheel bearings wore out and they aren't replaceable so bought a left-over
in the middle of the season, cheap (sold it when we moved South). The second
one was much larger (10-11HP, don't remember) had a "cab" thing to protect the
user from wind (and blowing snow). *That was a really nice feature.

I taught our, then, teenager how to use it, but he didn't do it often. *It was
easy enough to do it myself. *The big thing is to *NEVER* reach into the
thing, even when it's off. *Use a stick to clear it (had one set aside for
this purpose).- Hide quoted text -

"The big thing is to *NEVER* reach into the thing, even when it's
off."

Why not? When it's off, I mean.

It's awfully tough to change parts if you can *NEVER* reach into the
unit.

"Use a stick to clear it (had one set aside for this purpose)."

Many units now come with one of these included:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg

Mine has brackets that hold it onto the auger housing so it doesn't
get lost. Even some of the entry level machines come with one.

They're only about $10 bucks if you don't have one. I know, sticks are
free. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:50:01 +0000, (DA)
wrote:

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-611950-.htm
DA wrote:
dgk wrote:

http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/pro...?modelNo=SJ620

Just looked at the PC Richard's listing thinking maybe to get one before
it's too late but WOW: "Expected to ship from manufacturer: 01/22/11" In
four weeks? In a middle of winter? I guess, they don't stock up on snow
blowers (snow throwers?) in winter... The demand probably fluctuates so
much from winter to winter. Otherwise you'd think they'd be making those
all summer to have enough on hand for a time like this.

That's how snowblowers are made (one run, once a year). In heavy snow years,
they sell out. They're gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 1:55*pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:50:01 +0000, (DA)
wrote:

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...tle-Snow-Joe-b...
DA wrote:
dgk wrote:

http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/pro...?modelNo=SJ620

Just looked at the PC Richard's listing thinking maybe to get one before
it's too late but WOW: "Expected to ship from manufacturer: 01/22/11" In
four weeks? In a middle of winter? I guess, they don't stock up on snow
blowers (snow throwers?) in winter... The demand probably fluctuates so
much from winter to winter. Otherwise you'd think they'd be making those
all summer to have enough on hand for a time like this.

That's how snowblowers are made (one run, once a year). *In heavy snow years,
they sell out. *They're gone.

And what goes fastest, at least from the borgs, are the smaller
machines.

MY HD and Lowes both have units left, but no entry level units - only
the bigger machines.

Lowes has one that could probably do most of my driveway in one pass!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:52:52 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 30, 1:22*pm, "
wrote:

...and then major snippage ensued...

I had two, in the 15 years I lived in Vermont. *The first lasted thirteen but
the wheel bearings wore out and they aren't replaceable so bought a left-over
in the middle of the season, cheap (sold it when we moved South). The second
one was much larger (10-11HP, don't remember) had a "cab" thing to protect the
user from wind (and blowing snow). *That was a really nice feature.

I taught our, then, teenager how to use it, but he didn't do it often. *It was
easy enough to do it myself. *The big thing is to *NEVER* reach into the
thing, even when it's off. *Use a stick to clear it (had one set aside for
this purpose).- Hide quoted text -

"The big thing is to *NEVER* reach into the thing, even when it's
off."

Why not? When it's off, I mean.

1) Compression.
2) It's too easy to get complacent. Absolutes won't fail you.

It's awfully tough to change parts if you can *NEVER* reach into the
unit.

"Use a stick to clear it (had one set aside for this purpose)."

Many units now come with one of these included:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg

Mine has brackets that hold it onto the auger housing so it doesn't
get lost. Even some of the entry level machines come with one.

So did my second blower. A stick works better and come longer (no bending
over or crawling around reaching into the machine). When the snow (slush) was
sticky, I'd just plant one in a snowbank to the side of where I was working.

They're only about $10 bucks if you don't have one. I know, sticks are
free. ;-)

Like I said, I had one exactly like the one pictured on my second blower. I
preferred a stick, or even broom handle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:05:39 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

DA wrote:
dgk wrote:

http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/pro...?modelNo=SJ620

Just looked at the PC Richard's listing thinking maybe to get one before
it's too late but WOW: "Expected to ship from manufacturer: 01/22/11" In
four weeks? In a middle of winter? I guess, they don't stock up on snow
blowers (snow throwers?) in winter... The demand probably fluctuates so
much from winter to winter. Otherwise you'd think they'd be making those
all summer to have enough on hand for a time like this.

That's how snowblowers are made (one run, once a year). *In heavy snow years,
they sell out. *They're gone.

And what goes fastest, at least from the borgs, are the smaller
machines.

Yup.

MY HD and Lowes both have units left, but no entry level units - only
the bigger machines.

That's what I ended up with mid-season (about this time of year). They
knocked a couple of hundred off and threw in the cab, though, so the price was
close to the entry model, earlier in the season.

Lowes has one that could probably do most of my driveway in one pass!

A little exaggeration, no? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

While they were down we found shovels worked almost as fast but with a
little more effort, and they don't need gas, take up space, etc.
Neither threw snow more than 3 feet, most snow getting thrown about 2
feet., and not high either.
Almost useless for the driveway, but did the sidewalks okay.

There was something wrong with them or it always "slushed" rather than snowed.
You should be able to get 7'-15' vertical lift and perhaps 30' or more
horizontal throw from even a small two-stage blower. Enough that they have a
snout to direct the flow, to limit the distance. I could *easily* throw snow
into my neighbor's driveway, even though they were separated by at least 30'
(15' setbacks, IIRC).

They weren't 2-stage. Small deals, don't remember the power, but I'd
guess just a couple HP.
I think they worked as designed. Good for sidewalks until they break.
No complaints from me since they cost very little.
If I do buy another snow moving machine, I'll get a beefier model than
those.
I see a decent one goes close to 200 pounds.
These were about 60-70 pound soaking wet.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 2:26*pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:05:39 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

DA wrote:
dgk wrote:

[...]

A little exaggeration, no? *;-)

No, seriously, they had one of these left, tucked away in the corner
of the garden section:

http://www.bibusbaugruppen.ch/images...snowblower.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"The big thing is to *NEVER* reach into the thing, even when it's
off."

Why not? When it's off, I mean.

1) Compression. *
2) It's too easy to get complacent. *Absolutes won't fail you.

Absolutes won't get your shear pins changed either. ;-)

.... snip ...

Speaking of "compression" (in the electronics realm) ...

You know how they tell you to ground yourself before installing a chip
or card into a PC to discharge static electricity?

The next time you power down your PC, remove the power cord and press
the power switch to turn the unit back on. Watch/listen carefully to
what happens.

That's a step that's not often mentioned in the installation
instructions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Dec 29, 2:25Â*pm, Frank wrote:
... major snip ...

There's a snow blower and a snow thrower. Â*

I don't believe that that is true...at least I am unable to find any
definition that distinguishes between a snowblower and a snowthrower.
They seem to be used interchangably although "snowblower" seems to be
more common.

The former augers it out of
the way and the latter augers it to a thrower which tosses it out. Â*

**
Generally the reverse. A single stage unit is generally refered to as
a "thrower" because it just grabs it and throws it. A 2 stage has a
high speed fan or "blower" whach ejects the snow which has been ground
up by the auger and fed into the blower stage.

Can you show me where a 'single stage unit is generally refered to as
a "thrower" '

Up here in Ontario that's the way it's been for decades. I used to
sell and service the little suckers back in the sixties.
And I explained WHY that distinction was made - which is kinda common
sense.

Goes way back a lot farther than WIKI - which, by the way, DOES agree
with me.

I'm not arguing, I just haven't been able to find a definitive answer
to the question.

Our old, yet untrustworthy, friend Wikipedia say things like "The term
"snow thrower" is often used to encompass snow throwers and snow
blowers, however, in proper usage a snow thrower is a machine that
uses a single stage to remove or "throw" snow while a snowblower uses
two stages to remove or "blow" snow."

Where I disagree is with the term "proper usage". I don't believe that
there really is a "proper usage" for the terms.

That's your opinion, and you are definitely entitled to it.

In fact, places that actually sell the machines do not always make the
distinction. For example, this site use the terms interchangeably for
both single-stage and two-stage machines:

Most places that sell them today don't know squat about the product,
much less what the proper namr for it is. Don't use that to base an
opinion on!!!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...l+snow-blowers

This site uses only snowthrower for both:

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/s...55003_55003_-1

This site seems all confused, in some cases using Snowblower as the
category heading and then using Snowthrower to describe the two-stage
units.

Like I said - don't base any opinion on what resellers - particularly
discount chinese crap importers, call what they sell today.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/sno...arts_index.cfm

Actually, Â*the terms which distinguish the 2 different types of
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
-snip-

For a pretty neat collection of Ariens brohures from days gone by,
check out this site:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottyc...s/Page12.html- Hide quoted text -

Cool page-- My F-I-L had one of the tractors with all the
attachments-- That's where I remembered the Snow-Thro terminology
from, now that I see it. He was always careful to call his snow
*blower* [a 2 stage, 10 HP, something-or-other] a blower, and his Thro
a thrower.

OK, I have the definitive answer to this pressing issue.

I started a discussion about these terminology options at http://www.opeonthenet.com
("The Best Snowblower & Lawnmower Forum.")

snowblower
snow blower
snowthrower
snow thrower

After a few back and forths in the forum and some on-line dictionary
searches, I finally concluded:

"I'm sticking with snowblower 'cuz it's easier to say and easier to
type."

A moderator responded with:

"We did the same thing when discussing this site name. So that makes
it official. ;-) "

Great minds apparently *do* think alike!

If it is good enough for ope, it works for me.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

While they were down we found shovels worked almost as fast but with a
little more effort, and they don't need gas, take up space, etc.
Neither threw snow more than 3 feet, most snow getting thrown about 2
feet., and not high either.
Almost useless for the driveway, but did the sidewalks okay.

There was something wrong with them or it always "slushed" rather than snowed.
You should be able to get 7'-15' vertical lift and perhaps 30' or more
horizontal throw from even a small two-stage blower. Enough that they have a
snout to direct the flow, to limit the distance. I could *easily* throw snow
into my neighbor's driveway, even though they were separated by at least 30'
(15' setbacks, IIRC).

They weren't 2-stage. Small deals, don't remember the power, but I'd
guess just a couple HP.

Ah, that explains it. Single-stage snowblowers aren't worth buying.

I think they worked as designed. Good for sidewalks until they break.
No complaints from me since they cost very little.
If I do buy another snow moving machine, I'll get a beefier model than
those.

Make sure it's a two-stage.

I see a decent one goes close to 200 pounds.
These were about 60-70 pound soaking wet.

My wife and I could easily lift mine into my pickup, so they weren't anywhere
close to 200 lbs. A hundred, perhaps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:42:57 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 30, 2:26*pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:05:39 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

DA wrote:
dgk wrote:

[...]

ROTFLOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Dec 29, 2:25*pm, Frank wrote:
[...]

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...e-removal+snow...

This site uses only snowthrower for both:

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/s...ory2_10001_141...

[...]

True dat!- Hide quoted text -

See some of my other posts related to this question.

As I said, I'm going to go along with what they guys here say, which
is "snowblower" for both single stage and two stage units.

http://www.opeonthenet.com

BTW...just because Wiki agrees with you doesn't make it the definitive
source. For all we know, *you* wrote the Wiki article. ;-)

In any case, Wiki doesn't really agree with you, at least as far as
the terms they use for the parts of the machine that actually move the
snow.

What you (and everyone else) call the "auger" on a single stage
machine, they call an impeller.

Anyway, it's no big deal...just interesting that there seems to be
very little consistency in who calls which what.

I choose the easiest route:

"Snowblower" is the easiest to say and type, so I'm going with that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:50:53 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

"The big thing is to *NEVER* reach into the thing, even when it's
off."

Why not? When it's off, I mean.

1) Compression. *
2) It's too easy to get complacent. *Absolutes won't fail you.

Absolutes won't get your shear pins changed either. ;-)

I guess you miss the obvious.

OTOH, in the years I've had snowblowers, I've never sheared a pin. I've only
done it once on a lawn mower.

... snip ...

Speaking of "compression" (in the electronics realm) ...

You know how they tell you to ground yourself before installing a chip
or card into a PC to discharge static electricity?

Sure.

The next time you power down your PC, remove the power cord and press
the power switch to turn the unit back on. Watch/listen carefully to
what happens.

There is a lot of energy stored in the high-voltage section (no user
serviceable parts inside) of the power supply. So?

That's a step that's not often mentioned in the installation
instructions.

It won't hurt anyone. Well, anyone smart enough to leave the innards of the
power supply alone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dgk wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:16:45 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

-snip-

I'm betting that the single stage in your area might be the better
choice. It works better on wet snow than a 2-stage-- and you
don't need to worry about storing gas & oil. And you can work on
the things, literally; 'on the kitchen table'.

It was throwing the snow at least 10 feet - but it was so windy (~40
mph) that all it needed to do was get it up a few feet and that snow
was GONE.

I would have expected it to throw it further. Try shooting to the
left and right - or straight ahead. Also vary the amount of snow
in the 'hopper'- keeping it full, but not packed is what works best on
mine.

Next time you get 5" of slush- look up and down the street at the guys
with big 2-stage blowers cleaning their chutes at every pass. [that
will make you feel better when you're fighting with day old snowbanks
that are solid blocks of ice.g]

-snip-

I'm not likely to hit a rock, I'm plowing a driveway and sidewalk -
but I did read in some reviews that it was a problem getting
replacement belts. The manual has instructions for replacing:

Rubber Plates
Scraper Bar
Belt
Skid Shoes

So it's probably a good idea to get those at least.

Find out what shears if you hit the immovable object. A frozen
newspaper-- dead cat-- homeless guy. . . . Maybe the belt just
burns out. But it should have something to protect the motor.
That's the piece you'll need 'all-of-a-sudden' at the worst possible
time.

Mine has a plastic paddle, where yours is metal and rubber. I had a
gas Toro with that style paddle. That sucker cleaned the pavement
better than a shovel. Good stuff.

My plastic one does a good job & I think it throws further than a
metal one would -- but the downside is- I went over a chunk of plywood
with a 20d nail sticking up out of it. The nail cut the paddle
into 2 pieces. At least I didn't step on it.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 31, 3:39*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
dgk wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:16:45 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

-snip-

[...]

Two years ago I had to replace an old (very) 5hp 2-stage because some
nerd brain had used a roll-pin in place of a shear pin. It rusted and
broke flush with the shaft. No way to get at it to try to drive or
drill it out exept to dismantle the enitre machine.

For those who are unfamiliar with "roll pins" they are a drive fit
into a hole. Have to driven out (or drilled).

I needed a bigger blower anyhow so it went down the road to my
nephews. Now have an 11 hp 2-stage and wishing for a bigger one -
that state plow berm is one royal PIA.

Harry K

snow blower repair Tom[_13_] Home Repair 4 March 3rd 08 05:14 PM
Leaf Blower as Snow Blower [email protected] Home Ownership 6 January 8th 08 01:42 AM
snow blower repair bob Home Repair 4 February 15th 07 04:14 PM
Looking for a good snow blower... dean Home Repair 4 December 5th 05 05:53 PM
Help with snow blower J Home Repair 2 January 6th 04 01:50 AM