Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default My amazing little Snow Joe blower

On Dec 29, 9:22*am, dgk wrote:
I have a little house in NYC so it never really paid for me to get a
snow blower. But I'm getting near 60 and decided that I really didn't
want to be lifting snow anymore. So last month I investigated some
snow blowers and ended up getting a small electric model called a Snow
Joe. Under $200, 13.5 amps, 18" width and around 10" intake height.

We got 18" of snow on Sunday and my little Snow Joe was overwhelmed
but performed heroically. It took a bit to figure out the best way to
approach that much snow, but once I did, Snow Joe did all that I could
ask. It did my driveway, my neighbor's driveway, and the sidewalk in
front of four houses (elderly neighbors).

It certainly wasn't effortless and I can see that having powered
wheels would make things oh so much easier, but really, for that
price, I couldn't have expected anything more.

This isn't to say that a Toro or some gas-powered monster wouldn't
have been better, but they cost a lot more. Nor do I know that this
won't die in the middle of the next storm; I certainly kept fearing
that it would die in this one but each time it was just the plug
coming loose.

And, best of all, the Significant Other has apologized for referring
to it as my "new toy". Ah, sweet victory!

I hate cords.

Until either DeWalt or B&D comes out with an 18V Snow Blower so I can
use the batteries from my tools or trimmer, I'll stick with my 2

Shovels or my Ariens Sno Tek 24"

I wonder how long an 18V Snow Blower would last. ;-)