Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My amazing little Snow Joe blower

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 05:47:21 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 29, 11:27Â*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:44:33 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On Dec 29, 2:25Â*pm, Frank wrote:
... major snip ...

There's a snow blower and a snow thrower. Â*

I don't believe that that is true...at least I am unable to find any
definition that distinguishes between a snowblower and a snowthrower.
They seem to be used interchangably although "snowblower" seems to be
more common.

The former augers it out of
the way and the latter augers it to a thrower which tosses it out. Â*

**
Generally the reverse. A single stage unit is generally refered to as
a "thrower" because it just grabs it and throws it. A 2 stage has a
high speed fan or "blower" whach ejects the snow which has been ground
up by the auger and fed into the blower stage.

Can you show me where a 'single stage unit is generally refered to as
a "thrower" '

Up here in Ontario that's the way it's been for decades. I used to
sell and service the little suckers back in the sixties.
And I explained WHY that distinction was made - which is kinda common
sense.

Goes way back a lot farther than WIKI - which, by the way, DOES agree
with me.

I'm not arguing, I just haven't been able to find a definitive answer
to the question.

Our old, yet untrustworthy, friend Wikipedia say things like "The term
"snow thrower" is often used to encompass snow throwers and snow
blowers, however, in proper usage a snow thrower is a machine that
uses a single stage to remove or "throw" snow while a snowblower uses
two stages to remove or "blow" snow."

Where I disagree is with the term "proper usage". I don't believe that
there really is a "proper usage" for the terms.

That's your opinion, and you are definitely entitled to it.

In fact, places that actually sell the machines do not always make the
distinction. For example, this site use the terms interchangeably for
both single-stage and two-stage machines:

Most places that sell them today don't know squat about the product,
much less what the proper namr for it is. Don't use that to base an
opinion on!!!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...l+snow-blowers

This site uses only snowthrower for both:

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/s...55003_55003_-1

This site seems all confused, in some cases using Snowblower as the
category heading and then using Snowthrower to describe the two-stage
units.

Like I said - don't base any opinion on what resellers - particularly
discount chinese crap importers, call what they sell today.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/sno...arts_index.cfm

Actually, Â*the terms which distinguish the 2 different types of
snowblowers are "Single Stage" and "Two Stage".

A "single-stage" machine has an auger only and the shape of the auger
housing directs the snow up and out of the chute.

When it has a chute. A lot of the "electric snow shovel" type either
just throw it forward or have directional vanes that shift it one way
or the other. Most (but cetainly not all) of the gasoline powered
single stage throwers have a chute

Which is what I stated below when I said "Of course, we should not
neglect (or maybe we should!) the Power
Shovel which does not even have a chute"

A two-stage machine has an auger and an impeller. The shape of the
auger housing directs the snow to the impeller, which rotates at a
right angle to the auger. The impeller breaks the snow up into smaller
pieces and throws it (usually farther).

Check out this site, where the more common term of "snowblower" is
prevalent, yet they talk about Single Stage units vs. Two-Stage units
on a regular basis.

http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/index.php

Of course, we should not neglect (or maybe we should!) the Power
Shovel which does not even have a chute. The auger just moves the snow
forward as you push it along.

The
snow joe appears to be an electric thrower. Â*

Well, OK, but it's also an electric blower.

Electric blowers, as far as
I know, can't handle more than a few inches of snow. Â*It takes a thrower
to handle deep snow.

Again, "electric" is the issue, not blower vs thrower.

Nothing electric is going to be as powerful as a
gasoline powered unit. Â*Also note that electric units don't appear to be
self propelled so there would be more work involved in pushing it into
the snow.-

True dat!