Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default My amazing little Snow Joe blower

On Dec 31, 3:39*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
dgk wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:16:45 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

-snip-

I'm betting that the single stage in your area might be the better
choice. * * *It works better on wet snow than a 2-stage-- and you
don't need to worry about storing gas & oil. * *And you can work on
the things, literally; 'on the kitchen table'.

It was throwing the snow at least 10 feet - but it was so windy (~40
mph) that all it needed to do was get it up a few feet and that snow
was GONE.

I would have expected it to throw it further. *Try shooting to the
left and right - or straight ahead. * * *Also vary the amount of snow
in the 'hopper'- keeping it full, but not packed is what works best on
mine.

Next time you get 5" of slush- look up and down the street at the guys
with big 2-stage blowers cleaning their chutes at every pass. * [that
will make you feel better when you're fighting with day old snowbanks
that are solid blocks of ice.g]

-snip-

I'm not likely to hit a rock, I'm plowing a driveway and sidewalk -
but I did read in some reviews that it was a problem getting
replacement belts. The manual has instructions for replacing:

Rubber Plates
Scraper Bar
Belt
Skid Shoes

So it's probably a good idea to get those at least.

Find out what shears if you hit the immovable object. * A frozen
newspaper-- dead cat-- homeless guy. . . . * * *Maybe the belt just
burns out. * *But it should have something to protect the motor.
That's the piece you'll need 'all-of-a-sudden' at the worst possible
time.

Jim

Two years ago I had to replace an old (very) 5hp 2-stage because some
nerd brain had used a roll-pin in place of a shear pin. It rusted and
broke flush with the shaft. No way to get at it to try to drive or
drill it out exept to dismantle the enitre machine.

For those who are unfamiliar with "roll pins" they are a drive fit
into a hole. Have to driven out (or drilled).

I needed a bigger blower anyhow so it went down the road to my
nephews. Now have an 11 hp 2-stage and wishing for a bigger one -
that state plow berm is one royal PIA.

Harry K