Default Help with snow blower

Hi all, we just got a snow blower used, be advised, it is very old, by very
I mean from the 40s or 50s at least. It has a Tecumseh or how ever you spell
it motor on it. Needless to day, none of the numbers are readable anymore
for model numbers, I have a couple serial numbers, I need a muffler for it
and am wondering if anyone might be able to help me know what might work,
what it is, anything at all, all I can tell you is the muffler is held on
with 2 screws, when you take it off it looks like the mount for a Carburetor
for a B&S motor but the center hole, the outlet in this case is a little
smaller, it's maybe 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch, and the screws I'd say are, maybe
1/4 inch, give or take. I have nothing to go by the muffler is long gone and
screws, but not having any money and still not having my hot water issue
fixed from last week though I think it will be expensive, we need this snow
blower, we'll run it with no muffler if we have to but if we can get one it
would be a huge help. It's tough using an antique but the price was right.
They paid us to take it and it works great! TIA

Jeff Wisnia

J wrote:

[...]

Lay a sheet of paper over the muffler hole area and make a "pencil rubbing" like
they do on tombstones. Take that to a small engine parts place. Chances are
they'll know which one to sell you.

Even Home Depot and Lowes stock a number of mufflers for small engines. Chances
are you could return one you bought there if it has the right mounting but
happened to interfere mechanically with some other part of the engine.

As for the bolts, just try 1/4-20, 1/4-28 and 5-16/18 bolts in the holes. they
are most likely one of those sizes.

Happy New Year,

Jeff (Who's still blowing New England snow with his 1965 Airens, dubbed "The
Widowmaker" for it's total absence of safety provisions.)

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can keep smiling when things go wrong, you've thought of someone to
place the blame on."