Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Warning Crystal Radio

the piece of scum is trying to get you download a virus scan that is
actually virus laden.
Even just cliking on the link sets in motion
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lil Abner" wrote in message
the piece of scum is trying to get you download a virus scan that is
actually virus laden.
Even just cliking on the link sets in motion

A response like this deserves a bump though most of us do recognize the off
topic post are frequently just as you describe this one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 4:18*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Lil Abner" wrote in message

the piece of scum is trying to get you download a virus scan that is
actually virus laden.
Even just cliking on the link sets in motion

A response like this deserves a bump though most of us do recognize the off
topic post are frequently just as you describe this one.

Careful using Google image search as well- I was looking for
tomorrows's BestBuy flyer, and a promising link tried the old 'your
computer is infected' scam on me. Had to dump the browser session to
escape unharmed, but how many casual web surfers know how to do that?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2010 5:43 PM aemeijers spake thus:

On Dec 25, 4:18 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

"Lil Abner" wrote in message

the piece of scum is trying to get you download a virus scan that
is actually virus laden. Even just cliking on the link sets in
motion

A response like this deserves a bump though most of us do recognize
the off topic post are frequently just as you describe this one.

Careful using Google image search as well- I was looking for
tomorrows's BestBuy flyer, and a promising link tried the old 'your
computer is infected' scam on me. Had to dump the browser session to
escape unharmed, but how many casual web surfers know how to do that?

You mean you actually clicked on the link?

Otherwise, why would you need to "dump the browser session"? No click,
no harm.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 4:18 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

"Lil Abner" wrote in message

the piece of scum is trying to get you download a virus scan that
is actually virus laden. Even just cliking on the link sets in
motion

A response like this deserves a bump though most of us do recognize
the off topic post are frequently just as you describe this one.

Careful using Google image search as well- I was looking for
tomorrows's BestBuy flyer, and a promising link tried the old 'your
computer is infected' scam on me. Had to dump the browser session to
escape unharmed, but how many casual web surfers know how to do that?

You mean you actually clicked on the link?

Otherwise, why would you need to "dump the browser session"? No click,
no harm.

* *To me, the *plonk...* reminds me of the old man at the public hearing
* *who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
* *that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.- Hide quoted text -

No, I clicked on the miniature picture on the Google screen- which
didn't use to take you straight to the page it came from. It used to
just show the harvested .jpg, with an additional button to jump to the
web page. Mebbe they had executable code attached to the picture- the
PCTools protection suite I have on here is usually rather good about
blocking bad websites.
--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Careful using Google image search as well- I was looking for
tomorrows's BestBuy flyer, and a promising link tried the old 'your
computer is infected' scam on me. Had to dump the browser session to
escape unharmed, but how many casual web surfers know how to do that?

You mean you actually clicked on the link?

Otherwise, why would you need to "dump the browser session"? No click, no
harm.

You've evidently not run across this yet. You click on what looks to be a
credible link and this thing pops up and there is no way out that I've
found. I'm not sure that it is really doing anything, or just putting
things on the screen, but it is something you'd want to avoid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 23:37:31 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

?
"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Careful using Google image search as well- I was looking for
tomorrows's BestBuy flyer, and a promising link tried the old 'your
computer is infected' scam on me. Had to dump the browser session to
escape unharmed, but how many casual web surfers know how to do that?

You mean you actually clicked on the link?

Otherwise, why would you need to "dump the browser session"? No click, no
harm.

You've evidently not run across this yet. You click on what looks to be a
credible link and this thing pops up and there is no way out that I've
found. I'm not sure that it is really doing anything, or just putting
things on the screen, but it is something you'd want to avoid.

alt-f4? does that work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2010 8:37 PM Ed Pawlowski spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Careful using Google image search as well- I was looking for
tomorrows's BestBuy flyer, and a promising link tried the old
'your computer is infected' scam on me. Had to dump the browser
session to escape unharmed, but how many casual web surfers know
how to do that?

You mean you actually clicked on the link?

Otherwise, why would you need to "dump the browser session"? No
click, no harm.

You've evidently not run across this yet. You click on what looks to be a
credible link and this thing pops up and there is no way out that I've
found. I'm not sure that it is really doing anything, or just putting
things on the screen, but it is something you'd want to avoid.

No, I have run across such things; I've just never clicked on them.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 12/25/2010 8:37 PM Ed Pawlowski spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Careful using Google image search as well- I was looking for
tomorrows's BestBuy flyer, and a promising link tried the old
'your computer is infected' scam on me. Had to dump the browser
session to escape unharmed, but how many casual web surfers know
how to do that?

You mean you actually clicked on the link?

Otherwise, why would you need to "dump the browser session"? No
click, no harm.

You've evidently not run across this yet. You click on what looks to be
a credible link and this thing pops up and there is no way out that I've
found. I'm not sure that it is really doing anything, or just putting
things on the screen, but it is something you'd want to avoid.

No, I have run across such things; I've just never clicked on them.

As stated (but you seem to ignore) you don't have to click on it. It starts
from another link that look legit. Thus the browser dump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"bpuharic" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 23:37:31 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

?
"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Careful using Google image search as well- I was looking for
tomorrows's BestBuy flyer, and a promising link tried the old 'your
computer is infected' scam on me. Had to dump the browser session to
escape unharmed, but how many casual web surfers know how to do that?

You mean you actually clicked on the link?

Otherwise, why would you need to "dump the browser session"? No click,
no
harm.

You've evidently not run across this yet. You click on what looks to be a
credible link and this thing pops up and there is no way out that I've
found. I'm not sure that it is really doing anything, or just putting
things on the screen, but it is something you'd want to avoid.

alt-f4? does that work?

That would close the browser so, it probably would work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
On Dec 25, 4:18 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Lil Abner" wrote in message
snip

Careful using Google image search as well- I was looking for
tomorrows's BestBuy flyer, and a promising link tried the old 'your
computer is infected' scam on me. Had to dump the browser session to
escape unharmed, but how many casual web surfers know how to do that?

--
aem sends...

It happened to me yesterday. Clicked on a newsgroup item under 'writing'.
I was trying to find a group of authors. Anyway, I immediately started
getting interrupted by messages to download a virus killer, and they would
pop up every few minutes.

I ran Malware, which found the virus and removed it, but now I can't get on
with IE. Keep getting message that the connection failed. I haven't
thought of what I need to do to get out of this problem. I can use NGs &
email fine.

You said you had to dump the browser session. Do you mean you just exited
the browser? I am not familiar with your terminology of 'dump'.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bpuharic" wrote in message

alt-f4? does that work?

Sometimes and sometimes not. Often one must use control/alt/delete, select
the browser, usually iexplore.exe and click on end process. This
description is for XP since I have never upgraded from that stable OS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote

I ran Malware, which found the virus and removed it, but now I can't get
on with IE. Keep getting message that the connection failed. I haven't
thought of what I need to do to get out of this problem. I can use NGs &
email fine.

You said you had to dump the browser session. Do you mean you just exited
the browser? I am not familiar with your terminology of 'dump'.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Yes, I was able to close the browser. I've had good luck running
malwarebyte.org program, but I'm not sure how you'd get to it if you cannot
run IE. The program is 7.4 MB so maybe you can put in on a flash drive from
another computer or I can email it to you if I DL and save it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lil Abner wrote the following:
the piece of scum is trying to get you download a virus scan that is
actually virus laden.
Even just cliking on the link sets in motion

Do not open any message where the header is all CAPS. Just mark them read.
If you sort the messages in this group by size, you will see that the
largest are all CAPS and are spam..
Too bad that my newsreader cannot filter messages that have all CAPS in
the headers.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 7:43*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On Dec 25, 4:18*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

"Lil Abner" wrote in message

the piece of scum is trying to get you download a virus scan that is
actually virus laden.
Even just cliking on the link sets in motion

A response like this deserves a bump though most of us do recognize the off
topic post are frequently just as you describe this one.

Careful using Google image search as well- I was looking for
tomorrows's BestBuy flyer, and a promising link tried the old 'your
computer is infected' scam on me. Had to dump the browser session to
escape unharmed, but how many casual web surfers know how to do that?

--
aem sends...

I run the browser in a sandbox.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 6:33*am, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message

On Dec 25, 4:18 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Lil Abner" wrote in message
snip

[...]

You can make sure your Malware software is updated and run it in safe
mode. If nothing else works, you can run the computer's restore
program to a point saved just a few days ago when things were running
ok.

You also want to make sure you are running the latest version of the
browser you are using.

-C-
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 25, 11:48*am, Lil Abner wrote:
the piece of scum is trying to get you download a virus scan that is
actually virus laden.
Even just cliking on the link sets in motion

I've said this before, but I'll say it again.........

I've been messing with computers for 30 years, building, repairing,
writing programs. I have NEVER had a virus. I don't run any anti-virus
software either. I thought I had a virus once, turned out to be a bad
CD-rom.

It seems to me that most problems are NOT viruses as many think, but
the operator or a hardware problem.

Computer hard drives are not perfect, they can corrupt files, not
necessarily a virus.

I'm not saying there isn't any viral programs out there, All I'm
saying is they're not as common as one thinks. Knowing what to do and
what not to do is the real answer.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
On Dec 25, 4:18 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Lil Abner" wrote in message
snip

[...]

Anytime you have a annoying popup, ctrl/alt/del and kill the browser.
Dont click on OK/Yes/NO or "close window" , because that is often enough
to install malware.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2010 8:56 AM Hank spake thus:

On Dec 25, 11:48 am, Lil Abner wrote:

the piece of scum is trying to get you download a virus scan that
is actually virus laden.
Even just cliking on the link sets in motion

I've said this before, but I'll say it again.........

I've been messing with computers for 30 years, building, repairing,
writing programs. I have NEVER had a virus. I don't run any anti-virus
software either. I thought I had a virus once, turned out to be a bad
CD-rom.

You say you have no antivirus software, and I believe you, but certainly
you have a firewall, yes? Because without that, you're definitely going
to get infected by malware that arrives over the Internet. I know
because my firewall (Sygate, freeware) warns me all the time about
various intrusions into my computer, ranging from relatively benign port
scans all the way up to malicious attempts to rewrite Windoze system
files (which all get refused). So it's not just a matter of not clicking
on things, which makes your argument that it's all a matter of operator
fault not so convincing.

You need protection. It's a dangerous world out there.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 07:38:57 -0800 (PST), Country wrote:

On Dec 26, 6:33*am, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message

On Dec 25, 4:18 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Lil Abner" wrote in message
snip
[...]

I had to do that a few days ago, too. My system allows a restore of only the
OS and applications, so all data is kept. Even the status (last read point)
in my newsreader was kept.

You also want to make sure you are running the latest version of the
browser you are using.

FireFox has been taking care of that for me. Often more bother than it's
worth, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Dec 26, 4:38*pm, "
wrote:

I had to do that a few days ago, too. *My system allows a restore of only the
OS and applications, so all data is kept. *Even the status (last read point)
in my newsreader was kept.

I've run into occasions though where restore wouldn't run because it
said no changes had been made since the restore point I selected, even
though that point was days or weeks prior. In other words the virus
didn't trigger a change. That's why I use Acronis backup and can
restore from it if windows restore doesn't work.

And I've learned the hard way that when those virus windows pop up, I
immediately kill power to the cable modem before I hit any key on the
keyboard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 18:40:01 -0800 (PST), Red wrote:

On Dec 26, 4:38*pm, "
wrote:

I had to do that a few days ago, too. *My system allows a restore of only the
OS and applications, so all data is kept. *Even the status (last read point)
in my newsreader was kept.

I've run into occasions though where restore wouldn't run because it
said no changes had been made since the restore point I selected, even
though that point was days or weeks prior. In other words the virus
didn't trigger a change. That's why I use Acronis backup and can
restore from it if windows restore doesn't work.

The backup/restore I use is part of the Lenovo ThinkVantage application on a
ThinkPad. The restore doesn't require any changes. It just asks whether you
want a full restore or a quick restore (OS and apps only). There is a way to
select which backup to use but no changes are necessary. I've done full
restores, too, after disk failures. Everything works quite well, if a little
scary.

And I've learned the hard way that when those virus windows pop up, I
immediately kill power to the cable modem before I hit any key on the
keyboard.

I would imagine that in 99% of the cases, by the time you see any evidence,
it's too late.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 4:01*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

You say you have no antivirus software, and I believe you, but certainly
you have a firewall, yes? Because without that, you're definitely going
to get infected by malware that arrives over the Internet. I know
because my firewall (Sygate, freeware) warns me all the time about
various intrusions into my computer, ranging from relatively benign port
scans all the way up to malicious attempts to rewrite Windoze system
files (which all get refused). So it's not just a matter of not clicking
on things, which makes your argument that it's all a matter of operator
fault not so convincing.

You need protection. It's a dangerous world out there.

You are correct. I do have a firewall. Only because it came with
Windows. I have never owned a Mac.

I keep all my important files on a separate computer and only use this
one for internet. They are not linked in anyway. I transfer files
manually using a pen drive. Yeah, I know its old school. :-)

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hank wrote:
On Dec 25, 11:48 am, Lil Abner wrote:
the piece of scum is trying to get you download a virus scan that is
actually virus laden.
Even just cliking on the link sets in motion

I've said this before, but I'll say it again.........

I've been messing with computers for 30 years, building, repairing,
writing programs. I have NEVER had a virus. I don't run any anti-virus
software either. I thought I had a virus once, turned out to be a bad
CD-rom.

It seems to me that most problems are NOT viruses as many think, but
the operator or a hardware problem.

Computer hard drives are not perfect, they can corrupt files, not
necessarily a virus.

I'm not saying there isn't any viral programs out there, All I'm
saying is they're not as common as one thinks. Knowing what to do and
what not to do is the real answer.

Your personal experiences can not be extrapolated to the general world. Tens
of millions of computers belong to various bot-nets, mostly unknown to their
owners. ALL thes bot-net computers were established via a virus. Millions of
other computers have in place stealth programs to harvest credit card and
other personal information.

It's a jungle out there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 27, 4:32*am, Hank wrote:
[...]

But do you only transfer files one direction, and scan and reformat
the pen drive between uses? Air gaps only work when nothing is carried
from the untrusted system back to the trusted system. Because of a
little oopsie over in the sandbox, I can't use pen drives or burn
portable CDs at work any more.

--
aem sends...