Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Radiator pipe over electric panel

Dear Readers,
My house was built in 1950's. Directly over the (original) main
electrical fuse panel in the basement is a pipe that goes to the 1sr
floor baseboard (all original plumbing). And I mean directly: it's 7"
above the top of the panel.

I plan to have the main electrical fuse panel upgraded to circuit
breakers in the future, and will likley be required by the utility co
to have the local building inspector review my my licensed
electrician's work before the utility co will restore power.

If the electrical work passes, would the inspector cite me for a
violation of this existing condition (pipe over electrical panel) and
delay approval until I have the pipe moved?

Any similar experiences/situations appreciated.
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

"millinghill" wrote

If the electrical work passes, would the inspector cite me for a
violation of this existing condition (pipe over electrical panel) and
delay approval until I have the pipe moved?

Why not call him and ask? Most inspectors would rather clarify an issue
ahead of time rather than fail you at the inspection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"millinghill" wrote in message
Dear Readers,
My house was built in 1950's. Directly over the (original) main
electrical fuse panel in the basement is a pipe that goes to the 1sr
floor baseboard (all original plumbing). And I mean directly: it's 7"
above the top of the panel.

I plan to have the main electrical fuse panel upgraded to circuit
breakers in the future, and will likley be required by the utility co
to have the local building inspector review my my licensed
electrician's work before the utility co will restore power.

If the electrical work passes, would the inspector cite me for a
violation of this existing condition (pipe over electrical panel) and
delay approval until I have the pipe moved?

Any similar experiences/situations appreciated.
Theodore

Your best answer would be from the electrician doing the work. He will know
the inspector and will know what to expect. I wouldn't try to contact the
inspector yourself. I know in my area, inspectors never want to talk to
homeowners regarding these gray situations.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:42:40 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

But is that the only reason not to call him? For HIS convenience? He
can always say "I'm busy". Or do you think he will judge the
homeowner H more harshly if H annoyed the inspector earlier?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Inspection mechanisms work differently from place to place. In downstate NY,
inspectors are authorized by the municipalities that they inspect in, and
work directly with licensed electricians. Homeowners are not permitted to do
electrical work themselves, and the inspectors essentially refuse to be
teachers. I believe that if a homeowner calls an inspector to ask if an
existing violation can remain, the answer would be absolutely not, where as
if the electrician on the job points it out to the inspector, and it's not a
real terrible violation, he may just ignore it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 10:06*pm, millinghill wrote:
Dear Readers,
My house was built in 1950's. *Directly over the (original) main
electrical fuse panel in the basement is a pipe that goes to the 1sr
floor baseboard (all original plumbing). *And I mean directly: it's 7"
above the top of the panel.

I plan to have the main electrical fuse panel upgraded to circuit
breakers in the future, and will likley be required by the utility co
to have the local building inspector review my my licensed
electrician's work before the utility co will restore power.

If the electrical work passes, would the inspector cite me for a
violation of this existing condition (pipe over electrical panel) and
delay approval until I have the pipe moved?

Any similar experiences/situations appreciated.
Theodore

If you are having an electrician do the work he will know if the pipe
has to be moved or not. Any decent electrician is going to want to
look at the job and should factor in the pipe issue into his price
quote. Make sure you point it out and make sure he has included
dealing with it. SInce the pipe is not part of the new electrical
work it's hard to say if the local inspector would require it be moved
or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 11:46*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Built in the 50s? I suspect that it is a non-issue. The entire
service from meter in will probably not meet code. If so, moving the
panel will be a minor part of the job. The panel will have to be
replaced anyhow, move it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 10:06*pm, millinghill wrote:
Dear Readers,
My house was built in 1950's. *Directly over the (original) main
electrical fuse panel in the basement is a pipe that goes to the 1sr
floor baseboard (all original plumbing). *And I mean directly: it's 7"
above the top of the panel.

I plan to have the main electrical fuse panel upgraded to circuit
breakers in the future, and will likley be required by the utility co
to have the local building inspector review my my licensed
electrician's work before the utility co will restore power.

If the electrical work passes, would the inspector cite me for a
violation of this existing condition (pipe over electrical panel) and
delay approval until I have the pipe moved?

Any similar experiences/situations appreciated.
Theodore

How high is the pipe above the floor, and does it impede access to the
panel at all?
The required clearances:
http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachmen...learances1.jpg

For such things, searching Google and clicking on the Images link at
the top will give you pictorial results, which can be scanned a lot
faster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The required clearances:http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachmen...2796-laundry-t...

For such things, searching Google and clicking on the Images link at
the top will give you pictorial results, which can be scanned a lot
faster.

R- Hide quoted text -

Top of electrical panel: 6ft 7inch
Pipe: 7ft 1inch
Does not impede access to panel at all.
However, my understanding of the code is that it's not an access
issue, but simply that plumbing just cannot be around the panel...
period.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 10:04*am, millinghill wrote:

Top of electrical panel: 6ft 7inch
Pipe: 7ft 1inch
Does not impede access to panel at all.
However, my understanding of the code is that it's not an access
issue, but simply that plumbing just cannot be around the panel...
period.

Here's a thread in another forum that addresses your exact question:
http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/l...553713629.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Aug 17, 10:04 am, millinghill wrote:

Top of electrical panel: 6ft 7inch
Pipe: 7ft 1inch
Does not impede access to panel at all.
However, my understanding of the code is that it's not an access
issue, but simply that plumbing just cannot be around the panel...
period.

Here's a thread in another forum that addresses your exact question:
http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/l...553713629.html

Not only plumbing, essentially nothing but electrical stuff can occupy the
space above the panel to a distance of 6' above the equipment, or the
structural ceiling. One similar situation I had, had a 4" cast iron waste
pipe running on the exterior wall. I framed out a section with 2x4's and
plywood, bringing the panel out in front of the pipe. Again, the electrician
doing the work should know what the inspector will want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 17, 10:04 am, millinghill wrote:
Top of electrical panel: 6ft 7inch
Pipe: 7ft 1inch
Does not impede access to panel at all.
However, my understanding of the code is that it's not an access
issue, but simply that plumbing just cannot be around the panel...
period.

Here's a thread in another forum that addresses your exact question:
http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/l...553713629.html

The post on that site by manhattan42 gives the NEC requirements. The NEC
doesn't want the panel under the pipe. Final judgment is by the inspector.

Since the work is being done by an electrician, the electrician should
know (or find out) what is required. You could make sure the electrician
knows the pipe is there (sounds like it is pretty obvious).

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:18:21 -0400, gfretwell wrote:
(a) Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the width and depth
of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6
ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is
lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping,
ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the
electrical installation shall be located in this zone. Exception:
Suspended ceilings with removable panels shall be permitted within the
1.8-m (6-ft) zone.

Weird that there's no dead zone to the front/rear or left/right, though -
a broken pipe doesn't necessarily just soak the thing immediately below
the break...

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think they are more concerned with a slow leak that goes on
unnoticed for years until the cabinet is compromised and the panel
board rots out.
If a pipe bursts, people tend to notice right away.

I think it has as much to do with "crowding" of the wires going to the box
as concern that the mechanical/plumbing stuff would damage things.

Most of the wires (including the cable from the meter) enter from the top or
bottom) in most installations. Often, studs prevent bringing in wires from
the side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 2:10*am, "John Gilmer" wrote:
I think they are more concerned with a slow leak that goes on
unnoticed for years until the cabinet is compromised and the panel
board rots out.
If a pipe bursts, people tend to notice right away.

I think it has as much to do with "crowding" of the wires going to the box
as concern that the mechanical/plumbing stuff would damage things.

Most of the wires (including the cable from the meter) enter from the top or
bottom) in most installations. * Often, studs prevent bringing in wires from
the side.

It is a rather academic discussion. Built back then the incoming
wires from the service will not be code for today's needs. Truth is
that the entire service from meter in will need to be changed to come
up to code. The panel also has to be replaced anyhow. Move it where
there is no conflict.

Then in the end. None of this discussion matters as it will boil down
to what the inspector will pass.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

OP Follow up: Just got the panel upgrade. Inspector came and work
passed with no objection. Thanks to all who replied!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 4:42*pm, millinghill wrote:
OP Follow up: Just got the panel upgrade. *Inspector came and work
passed with no objection. *Thanks to all who replied!

Thanks for posting the follow up. I appreciate it, and I'm glad it
worked out for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You set a good example for us, in so many ways. Thank you for the
follow up.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"millinghill" wrote in message
OP Follow up: Just got the panel upgrade. Inspector came and work
passed with no objection. Thanks to all who replied!

Radiator Pipe HELP [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 26th 07 02:56 PM
electric radiator GINO Home Repair 0 December 13th 05 05:59 PM
Using a standard radiator as an electric towel radiator [email protected] UK diy 5 October 11th 05 11:41 AM
Vertical panel radiator problem Simon L UK diy 3 November 5th 04 06:11 PM
Converting soil pipe access panel to allow 40mm pipe Scott UK diy 1 August 12th 03 10:14 PM